Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2015, 10:44   #2206
BHPian

Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Thanks for the lovely picture, Harit.

I believe these two pictures are probably the same car (even though front seat back seems to be differrent) -
Phantom I, Chassis 15YC, ex-Chhota Udepur

Harit, could we please see the rear bottom of the mudguard without the neon sign (profile may be slightly different in the two pics) ?
Before Harit can point out more accurately, I do not think they are the same car going by the point you raised about the rear fender profile.

The Parsi car has the start of the rear fender gently flowing from the running board whereas the Sanghi car has the fender dropping below the running board without any curve. Very different as far as I can make out.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 10:48   #2207
BHPian

Quote:
109MG has been going around the show circuit as "ex-Nepal Maharaja". Wonder if it went to Nepal after Raja P.N.Tagore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
It went from Kolkata. Nothing to do with Nepal.
In the 1970's so many cars left the country illegally. And many of those involved are still around.Cheers harit
Harit is right. 109 MG has nothing to do with Nepal.

The only Nepal connection I have heard of from my family in connection with 109MG was that it was disassembled and illegally taken out from India via Nepal
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 11:45   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, sadly the front is not see. Lived somewhere between Bombay and Pune. ................
Quote:
Thanks for the lovely picture, Harit........... I believe these two pictures are probably the same car (even though front seat back seems to be differrent) - Phantom I, Chassis 15YC, ex-Chhota Udepur

Harit, could we please see the rear bottom of the mudguard without the neon sign (profile may be slightly different in the two pics) ?
At your bidding, 4 photographs, all different. Windshield included in some.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rrr1.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rrr2.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rrr3.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rrr4.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rrr5.jpg

There are many similarities, but is it the same? The spot light is shifted, no side horn, private registered car (check your mail) and did Rolls Royce sell a used car to Chota Udaipur, or did Chhota Udaipur sell to a Parsi family? So many questions. Mudguard also different, Prem can see through my neon!
I added Prem's photo as the page had turned. I also have this Sanghi photo in my collection.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 20th November 2015 at 12:00.
harit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 12:15   #2209
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely photo, a rare find. But we can be pretty sure it is not the same car. Very typical Hooper lines, it would likely have the scalloped front fenders too. And are we sure it is a Ghost? Why are the identifying parameters versus a big Phantom?

EDIT - I'm looking at all possible Hooper Tourer Phantom Is (I somehow feel it is one), and most probable option is #45LC - Bombay trials, followed by Bhiwandiwalla, now in Birla Museum. What say?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-02.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-05.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-08.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 20th November 2015 at 12:26.
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 13:49   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

EDIT - I'm looking at all possible Hooper Tourer Phantom Is (I somehow feel it is one), and most probable option is #45LC - Bombay trials, followed by Bhiwandiwalla, now in Birla Museum. What say?
Karl,

The Birla Museum Phantom, the photo you've put, you're talking about the Birla Museum in Calcutta, right? If so, I'm pretty sure that it's been a long time Calcutta car, used to belong to a prominent Marwari businessman residing in a large property in posh Alipore (no, not the Kejriwal's). The family still resides in this house. You're saying it's a Bombay car?
Old 20th November 2015, 14:15   #2211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Karl,

The Birla Museum Phantom, the photo you've put, you're talking about the Birla Museum in Calcutta, right? If so, I'm pretty sure that it's been a long time Calcutta car, used to belong to a prominent Marwari businessman residing in a large property in posh Alipore (no, not the Kejriwal's). The family still resides in this house. You're saying it's a Bombay car?
Yes, the same museum in Calcutta. Yes, the family may have had the car a very long time, but often we forget early history, when a car is owned by the same family for decades, we often assume they bought it new. Luckily for Rolls Royce all the records are meticulously maintained, and luckily for us the stalwarts regularly share with us. It clearly states that this car was a Bombay Trials car, sold to D H Bhiwandiwalla. Subsequently in the 30s or 40s (or later) it may have moved on.

In the Birla Museum in Calcutta there is also a large 20s Fiat, I think it was the car of Jagdish Chandra Bose. He also owned an early Studebaker registered 3474.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 12:34   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the lovely picture, Harit..........
Quote:
At your bidding, 4 photographs, ............
Quote:
Lovely photo, a rare find. .....
Quote:
Karl, The Birla Museum Phantom, the photo you've put, you're talking about the Birla Museum in Calcutta, .........
Quote:
Yes, the same museum in Calcutta. ....
Well, in 2008 I got a Rolls photo which someone told me at that time could have been Bhiwandiwalla's Rolls. I had put it up on PreWarCar.com and it was re-posted in this thread on 14.05.2008 post no 316. I joined t-bhp in November 2008.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rrbhi1.jpg

So here is the photo which I had posted at that time.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rrbhi2.jpg

And here is another photo which I got along with those previous 5 photos posted very recently. It is the same car. And it is now in a Museum in Kolkata. Wonder if it will ever run, the engine may be history, aluminium head and all.

Check out the same registration number.

A mystery solved conclusively once and for all.

Before I joined t-bhp, I read all the threads. I would recommend even today that one goes through all the reads which are there since inception. There is a lot of information, but also some inaccuracies are to be seen. In some cases matters became clear much later.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 21st November 2015 at 12:38.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 13:31   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Well, in 2008 I got a Rolls photo which someone told me at that time could have been Bhiwandiwalla's Rolls.
And here is another photo which I got along with those previous 5 photos posted very recently. It is the same car. And it is now in a Museum in Kolkata. Wonder if it will ever run, the engine may be history, aluminium head and all.

Check out the same registration number.

A mystery solved conclusively once and for all. Cheers harit
Well now that the mystery is solved, one can only presume that the headlamps were changed from Grebels to the current ones (French Marchal lamps maybe?) perhaps under the car's new ownership in Calcutta.

I've spent sometime admiring this car at close quarters in the museum and boy, even in her current, weather-beaten condition, she looks majestic.

Unlike the large Fiat landaulet which resides next to this RR, there doesn't seem to be any great historical value attached to this car. Museum goers don't even appreciate the car; it's kept right at the end. To most, it's a pre-historic motorised rickshaw which must be giving a fuel economy of 1 km per litre, how useless.

That is why I sincerely wish someone (come on Bombay guys) with lots of money, influence, enthusiasm and knowledge will persuade the museum to sell it and she'll be turning heads on the roads again

Utopian? Maybe. Possible? I dare say definitely!

Last edited by mbz180 : 21st November 2015 at 13:31. Reason: Phrasing
Old 22nd November 2015, 16:10   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
... That is why I sincerely wish someone (come on Bombay guys) with lots of money, influence, enthusiasm and knowledge will persuade the museum to sell it and she'll be turning heads on the roads again
Utopian? Maybe. Possible? I dare say definitely!
Ok Karl, I am in for the enthusiasm, you for the knowledge. I know someone for the influence ... as usual we ONLY need the one who brings the money :-)
Old 22nd November 2015, 19:55   #2215
Distinguished - BHPian

Classic Rolls Royces in India-palitana-rr-pi-9eh-wbaxxxx-maybe.jpg

This lovely photo is now lost somewhere in our vast archives; and I cannot find it now.

Would the owner of the photo / original posting member please raise their hand ?

Or maybe Karl, you can help me find it!
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:01   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1442398

This lovely photo is now lost somewhere in our vast archives; and I cannot find it now.

Would the owner of the photo / original posting member please raise their hand ?

The photo belongs to my family. The lady on the extreme left is my grandmother (father's mother). The gentleman on the extreme right is my grandfather's best friend - Mr. Amar Bose, whose family car is the RR. In the middle is Mr. Bose's wife.

Will post a better picture.
amit V8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 04:19   #2217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
The photo belongs to my family. The lady on the extreme left is my grandmother (father's mother). The gentleman on the extreme right is my grandfather's best friend - Mr. Amar Bose, whose family car is the RR. In the middle is Mr. Bose's wife.

Thanks a million Amit! We may be one step closer to identifying the car!
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:21   #2218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1442398

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks a million Amit! We may be one step closer to identifying the car!
I guess she is a P1, Barker barrel sided Tourer? We can see hints of the curve in the door, plus the trademark parking lights in the fenders. Ventilation cowls and Grebel lights are another identifying factor. Regn seems to be WBA.
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:24   #2219
BHPian

Quote:

Amit, which Bose family is this? I presume from Calcutta but can you be more specific? What a lovely car.

Quote:
I guess she is a P1, Barker barrel sided Tourer? We can see hints of the curve in the door, plus the trademark parking lights in the fenders. Ventilation cowls and Grebel lights are another identifying factor. Regn seems to be WBA.
I agree with you Karl, PI, looks like a barrel sided tourer, Grebel lamps and WBA...all of that. Great looking car.
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:13   #2220
BHPian

Hi,

Here is a car we spotted between Bombay and Bangalore yesterday evening. Apparently on its way to Chennai.

More info from the experts please.

Regards,

Srinand.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-wp_20151122_001.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-wp_20151122_008.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-wp_20151122_003.jpg
srinand is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks