Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:50   #586
BHPian

I think it might have been Steve who posted this link earlier. There are 2 photos of 3BT75.
vintage cars photos / videos, vintage cars pictures / movie clips, Oktatabyebye.com

Also have a look at this, Park Ward found it. Maybe PI 45WR a Bahawalpur car, Perhaps Alvis or Karem can help?

Last edited by Julian UK : 2nd August 2008 at 16:56.
Old 2nd August 2008, 18:27   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I cant say Im familiar with the problem, but for practical purposes you could also type it out and save it elsewhere, and later copy and paste it onto a post here. Remember to remove font tags.
Better still type & save them in Notepad. That way you don't need to worry about any Font or Size tags.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:30   #588
BHPian

Phantom III 3BT127

There is not a lot of information about this car in India, but here goes:

The chassis was off test on 15 April 1937, fitted with engine V78G and steering at the high C rake. It was fitted with a Hooper standard limousine with body number 8826 to design 6443; there were seventeen Hooper limousines to this design on the Phantom III chassis. It was finished in dark blue over black with a fine red picking out line. The upholstery was in dark blue leather to the front and fawn cloth to the rear; the woodwork was in curl walnut. The body cost 700 punds, and the complete car 2,130 pounds.

The car was ordered direct from RR on 17 December 1936 by The Clyde Automobile Co. in Glasgow. It was completed by Hooper on 24 June 1937 and was registered with Scottish number CS6128; it was delivered to its new owner on 8 July. He was A C Robertson of Monkton in Ayrshire, Scotland. On 10 July his chauffeur of five years went through the RR School of Instruction.

Mr Robertson died in 1940 and the car was taken over by his wife. RR records indicate the car was owned in India in the 1950s by Alistair Grant. The next (and last) owner I know of was Vernon L Aenis in America in June 1976. I have heard somewhere the rumour that the car has been converted into a tourer.

I have no photo of the car but below is a scan of the Hooper line drawing, from The Science Museum in London.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3bt127-drawing.jpg  

Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:20   #589
BHPian

I can't remember where this came from, any idea which this is Steve? To me the door handles are in the wrong place,so not 3BT127.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-3bt127-1937-limousine-hooper-c-robertson-i.jpg

Last edited by Julian UK : 3rd August 2008 at 23:27.
Old 4th August 2008, 03:58   #590
BHPian

Phantom III

Julian, this is a car I know really well. It is chassis 3DL2, currently in Holland but it was a car in Australia for many years, used first by the Governor of South Australia and then by two Governors-General before they switched to a Silver Wraith or four!
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2008, 04:53   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I cannot remember where this photo of PIII 3BU86 came from but I am going to upload it anyway. It may have already been posted here on the forum.

Attachment 31615

Julian, the top photo of 3BU86 is from the RR Owners Club (RROC) Diary, 2007
Old 5th August 2008, 11:28   #592
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
3CP100 - Hooper limousine; Sir Roger Lumley, Governor of Bombay
Some reference material for a post yet to come from Steve's fabulous record. Mr. Asad Moyeen of Dhaka Bangladesh kindly sent me the following pictures of this magnificent PIII which remains with his family in Calcutta

Enjoy!

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr4.jpeg.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr3.jpeg.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr2.jpeg.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr1.jpeg.jpg
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2008, 14:46   #593
BHPian

PIII 3CP100 A shame there's no side view, but it should be like this Hooper photo body no. 8882

Classic Rolls Royces in India-3cp100-1937-hooper-sir-roger-lumley.jpg
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2008, 17:44   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I think it might have been Steve who posted this link earlier. There are 2 photos of 3BT75.
vintage cars photos / videos, vintage cars pictures / movie clips, Oktatabyebye.com

Also have a look at this, Park Ward found it. Maybe PI 45WR a Bahawalpur car, Perhaps Alvis or Karem can help?
YouTube - Rolls Royce Phantom I 1928 Aitchison College Lahore
Julian,

My office has locked out You tube and my laptop has some issues. I am dying to see this clip, both out of interest for the car and my old school!
Old 5th August 2008, 18:01   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Julian,

My office has locked out You tube and my laptop has some issues. I am dying to see this clip, both out of interest for the car and my old school!
Here's some screen shots. There's not much of the college, only the gates.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-45wr-1929-barker-ldv-fitted-1929-bahawalpur-b.jpg

From U tube and team-bhp
Old 6th August 2008, 05:35   #596
BHPian

Phantom III 3CP100

DKG, thanks a lot for these photos of 3CP100 - I had no record of it since 1951!!

The history of 3CP100 will be with you next week, using the same photo that Julian has posted.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:42   #597
BHPian

Phantom III 3BT181

Another lovely cabriolet ordered from India. The chassis left the factory on 7 May 1937, fitted with engine K38R, steering at the low F rake and set up for use in India.

The chassis was sent to Barker & Co. the same day. They built a cabriolet (tourer with division) to drawing number F9392 and body number 7318. The car was finished in cream over blue with a light green hood; the interior was finished in green leather. There was a detachable seat on the luggage platform for a servant to sit on (!); two centre fog lamps; a smoked glass exterior sun vizor; a police siren under the bonnet; a concealed bracket for an umbrella behind the back seat; a flagstaff to the mascot; crests painted on both rear doors; and a detachable crest at the front of the car. The body cost 775 pounds and the complete car 2,647 pounds.

The car was ordered on 5 February 1937 by Allied Motors Ltd in Bombay, and it was shipped there on the ss "Harmodius" on 15 September 1937. The order was from His Highness Balbhadra Narayan Bhanj Deo, the Ruling Chief of Keonjhar State in Orissa (born on 26 December 1905; I haven't been able to find out when he died) - he succeeded on 12 August 1926. It has been registered KEONHJAR 207, and DRG207.

In 1959 the mileage was reported to RR as being 7,100. In 1968 it was exported to England, and was owned by the Hon. Alan Clark. It was for sale by London dealer Frank Dale in October 1969, and that month was withdrawn from a Sotheby's auction in London. In 1974 it was in the USA, and remains there with an owner in Missouri.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3bt181.jpg  

Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2008, 13:15   #598
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG, thanks a lot for these photos of 3CP100 - I had no record of it since 1951!!
The pictures were courtesy the owner Mr. Asad Moyeen. Will request him for any other relevant info on the car since 1951. Looking forward to the car's history as per your records.

Quote:
Another lovely cabriolet ordered from India...

The car was finished in cream over blue with a light green hood; the interior was finished in green leather. There was a detachable seat on the luggage platform for a servant to sit on (!); two centre fog lamps; a smoked glass exterior sun vizor; a police siren under the bonnet; a concealed bracket for an umbrella behind the back seat; a flagstaff to the mascot; crests painted on both rear doors; and a detachable crest at the front of the car.
What a handsome machine. The special order list so typically illustrates how the luxury car industry catered to the specific whims of customers. That's what made it all so special and these cars bespoke. Thanks once again Steve for these remarkable posts. I really never knew so many splendid PIII had graced India. If only other historians could replicate your manner of research and cover all other RR and Bentleys and well why not every other luxury brand that came to India.

Infact this is what I'd like to see happening here at the Vintage section of TBHP. Your work really models what we need to through collaborative efforts replicate for all other significant cars that graced India. I feel an urgency to do this as many people from that era are slowly disappearing and it would be close to impossible to capture relevant historical details without their help.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:36   #599
BHPian

Apologies Steve for butting into the progression of your magnificent posts on the PIIIs.

Just to add a different view of 3BT181. This is from an old photocopy of a Flying Lady magazine

Name:  3BT181 1937 Allweather Barker The Ruling Chief of Keonjhar State.JPG
Views: 2561
Size:  136.1 KB
Old 6th August 2008, 13:43   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The pictures were courtesy the owner Mr. Asad Moyeen. Will request him for any other relevant info on the car since 1951. Looking forward to the car's history as per your records.
Deepak - Could you ask Mr. Moyeen if he would be kind enough to also provide us with the details & photographs of his family's other RR & Bentley??

Last edited by iraghava : 6th August 2008 at 13:47.

Most Viewed