Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 21:41   #886
BHPian

I am not too sure if the rear body was cut and used as a garbage truck. I have seen the vehicle and except for the Bonnet and the Windscreen Frame, rest of the body is missing including the front doors. The only story I have heard about the Maharaja of Patiala using RR's as garbage trucks. I am not sure how authentic even this strory is.

S.B.Jatti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Some comments from Harit
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:21   #887
Senior - BHPian

One more Picture of GRZ 30.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-gpz-30.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2008, 01:23   #888
BHPian

Speedy, you were certainly in the right place at the right time!
Is this the same low loader truck as DKG used in Hyderabad?

Regarding camouflage colours of RR armoured cars.
This is the Silver Ghost armoured car in the tank museum in Ahmednagar.
Can anyone explain which type of terrain this car's camouflage colour is best suited?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-sg-armoured.jpg
Photo from express-explore blogspot

Regarding the Phantom I #60AL, I wholeheartedly agree with Harit's parting comment, "Lovely project for a lovely car and all the very best to the owner". As the front end appears intact and the bulkhead/scuttle A posts are all there, a lot of critical diamensions are established and a replica of the beautiful original body could be built in India, I hope a light weight ash frame could be built (which is available) and not shesham which is so heavy, it must triple the weight of a body, but carpenters never listen, especially the ones buying the wood.

Talking of SG armoured cars
Classic Rolls Royces in India-sg_ac_a.jpg
From RROC

Last edited by Julian UK : 23rd October 2008 at 01:43.
Old 23rd October 2008, 09:20   #889
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Yes Julian its the same truck. I had it come down from Bombay. Of late similar trucks are seen with a nationwide recovery network, nice ones, fabricated somewhere near Bangalore I think.

Quote:
Can anyone explain which type of terrain this car's camouflage colour is best suited?
This should blend well in the Deccan Plateau, gray granite. Oh I forget, it would blend well in a herd of elephants too
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:55   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Speedy, you were certainly in the right place at the right time!

Regarding camouflage colours of RR armoured cars.
This is the Silver Ghost armoured car in the tank museum in Ahmednagar.
Yes this is the WIAA truck used by DKG in Hyderabad. It belongs to Mr.Dossa and is used for transportation of most Vintage and Classic cars all over India.

According to my father the Armoured Rolls Royce was in a darker shade of green originally and then was Painted in This colour. I have seen it only in this form. I would like to believe the colour is best suited for the Tank Museum Terrain .
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-tank-side-1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-tank-rear-1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-tank-tyre-1.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2008, 16:16   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Some comments from Harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
I am not too sure if the rear body was cut and used as a garbage truck. I have seen the vehicle and except for the Bonnet and the Windscreen Frame, rest of the body is missing including the front doors. The only story I have heard about the Maharaja of Patiala using RR's as garbage trucks. I am not sure how authentic even this strory is.

S.B.Jatti.
Jatti sir it was maharaja of Bharatpur who use the RR's as garbage truck. Once what happened was that a maharaja of Bharatpur was snubbed by an insolent young Rolls Royce salesman. It hurt the Jat's pride immensely, and to counter that, he brought a whole fleet of Rolls Royces. and guess what he did with them? He made them Bharatpur's garbage collecting vehicles!

Quote:
Some comments from Harit
Is this the same car which was advertised in the TOI maybe about 10 years back for sale ? It was lying near an ST bus stand in Bhavnagar where it was being used by beggars and other street urchins for sleeping at night. Most of the body parts were vandalised in this vehicle...even the spirit of ecstasy was missing. Distincly remember it was a tender process where they wanted to invited bids for this vehicle.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd October 2008 at 16:32.
Old 24th October 2008, 22:00   #892
BHPian

About 36 armoured Ghosts went to India. Is it possible to obtain the chassis number of this one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Yes this is the WIAA truck used by DKG in Hyderabad. It belongs to Mr.Dossa and is used for transportation of most Vintage and Classic cars all over India.

According to my father the Armoured Rolls Royce was in a darker shade of green originally and then was Painted in This colour. I have seen it only in this form. I would like to believe the colour is best suited for the Tank Museum Terrain .
Old 24th October 2008, 22:03   #893
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
About 36 armoured Ghosts went to India. Is it possible to obtain the chassis number of this one ?
I could be mistaken but either the French Car Company bodied car (blue one) or the maroon one of the Singhania RR's I posted in post 1 was a armoured car. The chassis numbers of those cars have been listed elsewhere here. Perhaps you could confirm which one
Old 24th October 2008, 22:24   #894
BHPian

Armoured Ghost

I have all the chassis numbers of all the armoured Ghosts, I mean the military things, not the civilian bullet-proof cars like the Singhanias'. Is there anyone out there who can lift the bonnet of the blue armoured RR and look up the chassis number on the firewall plate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I could be mistaken but either the French Car Company bodied car (blue one) or the maroon one of the Singhania RR's I posted in post 1 was a armoured car. The chassis numbers of those cars have been listed elsewhere here. Perhaps you could confirm which one
Old 24th October 2008, 22:55   #895
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
The rolls royce 1916 armoured car had already been converted for town use when I saw it in 1966-67. The body was built by the French Motor Car. Co. of Calcutta. The owners at that time were not the Modis but the Singhanias. Further conversions, if any, must be later.
This is what I meant. The blue car, prior to being rebodied, apparently was a armoured car. Do you think this is different from the kind in the museum?

Here's another one

and another

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by DKG : 24th October 2008 at 22:56.
Old 24th October 2008, 23:13   #896
BHPian

I was referring to post #890. This blue armoured car is still extant and has not been converted to road use - as far as I can judge from the pix. The bottom photo in post #895 is a Barker armoured car, chassis 41LK, still with the original owner's family (Abbasi). The top photo shows a 1915 pattern car with wire wheels, not plain discs like the 1920 pattern.
The Singhanias' Silver Ghosts are:
102AE light silver blue tourer by the French Motor Car C° (originally H.J.Mulliner tourer.
19KG, carrying at some time a shooting brake, also by the French M.C. and possibly now with an American saloon body. If it ever was an armoured car, it must have been earlier, but not as a factory car in the true sense (i.e. ordered by the War Office)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
This is what I meant. The blue car, prior to being rebodied, apparently was a armoured car. Do you think this is different from the kind in the museum?

Here's another one

and another

Attached Thumbnails
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2008, 23:38   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Is there anyone out there who can lift the bonnet of the blue armoured RR and look up the chassis number on the firewall plate ?
Karlosdeville is nearest..

The blue Ahmednagar armoured car appears to have its RH rear leaf spring missing.

Last edited by Julian UK : 24th October 2008 at 23:56.
Old 25th October 2008, 04:06   #898
BHPian

Chassis numbers

Quote:
I have all the chassis numbers of all the armoured Ghosts, I mean the military things, not the civilian bullet-proof cars like the Singhanias'. Is there anyone out there who can lift the bonnet of the blue armoured RR and look up the chassis number on the firewall plate ?
It's very important for us historian types that if at all possible people do look under the bonnet to find the chassis number on the silver "RR London & Derby" chassis plate! It also saves lots of time in this list with people bouncing back & forwards making guesses!
Old 25th October 2008, 05:41   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
Look under the bonnet to find the chassis number on the silver "RR London & Derby" chassis plate!
Absolutely!
On some models the cast aluminium RR chassis number plate isn't under the bonnet but near the pedals inside the car, its either in one or the other (A list of which models is a work in progress) always carry a torch or a camera with a flash at all times!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-1ef-chassis-no-plate..jpg  

Last edited by Julian UK : 25th October 2008 at 05:47.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2008, 10:09   #900
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Steve any progress on when your PIII book will come out?

Park Ward do you plan on releasing a book on Ghosts (forgive my ignorance if you already have )

Most Viewed