Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 23:46   #916
Senior - BHPian

Great pictures Jattiji. This car i believe was recently bought by Titus and is a new addition to his Garage.
Old 28th November 2008, 00:21   #917
BHPian

Yes. The car came into Delhi a couple of days back and now on display at the "Pro Bono Publico " Museum of Titus & Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Great pictures Jattiji. This car i believe was recently bought by Titus and is a new addition to his Garage.
Old 28th November 2008, 10:30   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

That is MHC 707, Ex Baroda if I remember right. Legend had it that the car was given to the royal chauffer as a retirement gift, at the time he was less than pleased with being given this (then) worthless car after so many years of faithful service. It found its way to a car dealer, then RTO Bhatena, then the Garwares and then the family of filmstar Mumtaaz (?). I remember it being offered for sale recently at over a crore.

If it were my car, first things first I'd replace the wrong tyres and Morris Minor taillights.
Old 2nd December 2008, 17:36   #919
Senior - BHPian

I had seen these car's in Udaipur thought let me just share with you all.

Cheers.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00335.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00334.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00337.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00338.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00339.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00340.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00341.jpg
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:30   #920
Senior - BHPian

One more car from Udaipur. Part 01

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00303.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00305.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00306.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00307.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00308.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00309.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00310.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00311.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00312.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00313.jpg
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:34   #921
Senior - BHPian

One more car from Udaipur. Part 02

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00314.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00315.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00316.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00318.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00319.jpg
Old 5th December 2008, 11:02   #922
Senior - BHPian

Mod :- Please remove this post i will re-post the photo's in some time. As this are not the photos which i wanted to post.

1924 one more from Udaipur.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00321.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00322.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00323.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00324.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00325.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00326.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc00320.jpg  

Last edited by rjvora_2000 : 5th December 2008 at 11:05.
Old 6th December 2008, 19:35   #923

Ghost 50RE

I see there is a wide range of knowledge for the indian Rolls Royces. Is there any information or pictures out there that can help me with the history of 50RE that went to India for the Maharajah of Jodhpur in 1921, origianlly with a H J Mulliner open drive body, which was changed to a Barker torpedo tourer off a 1922 car (unknown). I understand the car left India in the 70's but i know little about it before this time.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:35   #924
Senior - BHPian

Hi, this is the 1st attempt to upload a picture. So far I have only shared this with Julian. If successful then the text will follow shortly

harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-1.jpg  

Old 9th December 2008, 10:39   #925

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi, this is the 1st attempt to upload a picture. So far I have only shared this with Julian. If successful then the text will follow shortly

harit
Finally!! Welcome to the Forum Harit!! Please do share more about this car.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:09   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

harit
This Rolls is supposed to be a Phantom 1 and was supposed to have been used by the governor
of Bombay. This is the information which I got from Julian as I had shared this pic with him
earlier.
Now where did this pic come from. That is a story in itself.
Some months ago I got a call from a friend, A. Mistry that there are 4 old photo albums in
Chor Bazar. He first contacted another friend Mr. Asher who directed him to me. And so we
went there. There were indeed 4 albums filled with valuable pictures.

There were ofcourse family pictures with their cars, then there were pictures of racing in
Juhu, XK120, MG, Morgan, dirt track racing, motorcycle racing with Vincent and other
valuable racing bikes,a pic of a lovely Kaiser Manhatten being brought to Chor Bazar, you
can make out the exact place, then a heavy accident of a mint Chevy Fleetmaster, etc. The
person seems to have been very much interested in photography and he also photographed cars.
There is a Lancia Lambda, then this Rolls, and a couple of other nice cars including coupes,
two door business coupes, large American tourer with hood up and hood down, picture of their
car on Agra Road in a workshop etc. The cars they seemed to have owned were Hudson
Terraplane, Austin 7, Fiat Balilla 1936,DKW or Adler roadster. Then they graduated to a
Buick Tourer 1939, Caddy 1947 sedan, Chevy 1952.All Bombay registered vehicles but there are
no records with RTO. They also had a lovely Sunbeam Talbot tourer of which there were
coloured photos, colour being added later.

From what I could gather, this was a very modern upto date stylish Gujju family, Lalan, who
probably lived on Darabsha Lane off Nepean Sea Road. One person was called Arun. They
probably had a large factory in Gujrat and may still live in Ahmedabad or nearby. Very
stylish, photos of the 1930's and 1940's show them on a cruise, fishing,racing, kept dogs.
The ladies were very modern. Can anyone give clues as to who they were?

Back to the Rolls, according to Julian the car was left lying unused and was legally
exported to Malaysia in the 1960's. In the picture the car looks like it is lying unused,
probably in the Governors estate in Bombay.

I have another Rolls pic which I think is the same car and shall post later today . Julian
felt that both the pics are not of the same car, perhaps our experts can comment on that.
This could also have gone in the Nostalgic thread, but the pic is of a Rolls, so here it
should also be OK. If not, then Mods can shift.

Last edited by harit : 9th December 2008 at 12:10.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2008, 12:29   #927
Senior - BHPian

Rolls Royce is a real pride of any household.I dont think any car can ever achieve this distinction.I can only think of Mercedes Benz next to RR.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:01   #928
BHPian

Phantom I

Quote:
This Rolls is supposed to be a Phantom 1 and was supposed to have been used by the governor
of Bombay. This is the information which I got from Julian as I had shared this pic with him
earlier.
Now where did this pic come from. That is a story in itself.
Some months ago I got a call from a friend, A. Mistry that there are 4 old photo albums in
Chor Bazar. He first contacted another friend Mr. Asher who directed him to me. And so we
went there. There were indeed 4 albums filled with valuable pictures.

There were ofcourse family pictures with their cars, then there were pictures of racing in
Juhu, XK120, MG, Morgan, dirt track racing, motorcycle racing with Vincent and other
valuable racing bikes,a pic of a lovely Kaiser Manhatten being brought to Chor Bazar, you
can make out the exact place, then a heavy accident of a mint Chevy Fleetmaster, etc. The
person seems to have been very much interested in photography and he also photographed cars.
There is a Lancia Lambda, then this Rolls, and a couple of other nice cars including coupes,
two door business coupes, large American tourer with hood up and hood down, picture of their
car on Agra Road in a workshop etc. The cars they seemed to have owned were Hudson
Terraplane, Austin 7, Fiat Balilla 1936,DKW or Adler roadster. Then they graduated to a
Buick Tourer 1939, Caddy 1947 sedan, Chevy 1952.All Bombay registered vehicles but there are
no records with RTO. They also had a lovely Sunbeam Talbot tourer of which there were
coloured photos, colour being added later.

From what I could gather, this was a very modern upto date stylish Gujju family, Lalan, who
probably lived on Darabsha Lane off Nepean Sea Road. One person was called Arun. They
probably had a large factory in Gujrat and may still live in Ahmedabad or nearby. Very
stylish, photos of the 1930's and 1940's show them on a cruise, fishing,racing, kept dogs.
The ladies were very modern. Can anyone give clues as to who they were?

Back to the Rolls, according to Julian the car was left lying unused and was legally
exported to Malaysia in the 1960's. In the picture the car looks like it is lying unused,
probably in the Governors estate in Bombay.

I have another Rolls pic which I think is the same car and shall post later today . Julian
felt that both the pics are not of the same car, perhaps our experts can comment on that.
This could also have gone in the Nostalgic thread, but the pic is of a Rolls, so here it
should also be OK. If not, then Mods can shift.
Harit,
This is a pre-1CL chassis. I can't find a limo used by Sir Leslie Orme Wilson in my records but after ruling out a number of chassis, I ended up with a list of 8. Unfrtunately I don't have any photos to compare against yours. The chassis are : 107RC (Windovers ; Nawab of Rampur), 18HC (H.J.Mulliner ; Raja of Patiala), 113LC Barker & 45EH Hooper (both owned by Sir Dhunjibhoi Bomanji), 46SC (Windovers, Raja of Nawanagar), 75UF (Windovers, Raja of Kashmir & Jammu), 95EH (Thrupp & Maberly, Mahant of Nandgaon), 25AL (Hooper, Lady Yule in Calcutta) Does it help ?
Andre Blaize
park-ward is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2008, 18:04   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Harit,
This is a pre-1CL chassis. I can't find a limo used by Sir Leslie Orme Wilson in my records but after ruling out a number of chassis, I ended up with a list of 8. Unfrtunately I don't have any photos to compare against yours. The chassis are : 107RC (Windovers ; Nawab of Rampur), 18HC (H.J.Mulliner ; Raja of Patiala), 113LC Barker & 45EH Hooper (both owned by Sir Dhunjibhoi Bomanji), 46SC (Windovers, Raja of Nawanagar), 75UF (Windovers, Raja of Kashmir & Jammu), 95EH (Thrupp & Maberly, Mahant of Nandgaon), 25AL (Hooper, Lady Yule in Calcutta) Does it help ?
Andre Blaize
Oooops ! I thought it was a limo. Actually it is a land I had already identified as 35FH.
Andre
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2008, 18:28   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Oooops ! I thought it was a limo. Actually it is a land I had already identified as 35FH.
Andre
Attached is a photo of a Rolls taken at an angle. My memory says that this has been posted
by Karl before, either in the Rolls thread or in the Nostalgic thread.But as it will take
time to find,so attached again. I feel that this is the same car as in post 924.

I had discussed with Julian and Karl, Julian feels that they are not the same. Perhaps Park Ward
can have a close look and comment.

Perhaps someone can identify the gentlemen in this second photo by going through some
pictoral data on the British Governors and those around them.

Maybe someone has visited the Governors Estate in Bombay and can recognise the place. It
looks like an outhouse for staff.There is a good chance that the place hs remained unchanged.

The registration is definitely from Bombay, but again no records are available with RTO.I am not
aware when the special Ashoka plate was introduced for the Governor, or what kind of plate the British
Governors had on their cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks