Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:59   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
What an awful awful sight! I visited the tank museum more than a decade back and I remember things being in a much better state.

I still believe it can be put back on the road and it must.
I'm shocked and pained to know that the car has deteriorated further after being put on permanent display. I was under the impression that it was brought in this condition to be diplayed, after lying unattended for decades in some corner of some Army workshop, where things would have been pilfered. If this is the case, then it is truly regrettable. Looking forward to your pictures, and I also implore you (with your history and credentials) to take up the cause of atleast a cosmetic restoration (proper tin and paint) of this most rare car.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:10   #1112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
and I also implore you (with your history and credentials) to take up the cause of atleast a cosmetic restoration (proper tin and paint) of this most rare car.
+1. Tonrag sir if you can pull some strings to try and get your hands on restoring this beauty, it would be great. It would be a legacy for ages to come.
Old 26th October 2009, 20:21   #1113
BHPian

Found the photos I took a decade back and sorry, I think I made my first statement with rose-tinted spectacles on. Yes, the Rolls has been in a sad state since long. I'll make efforts to persuade the army to allow its restoration on one condition - team-BHP seniors must help out with knowledge, advice, encouragement and sourcing of parts. Julian, are you listening!?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-picture-001.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-picture-002.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-picture-003.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-picture-004.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-picture-005.jpg  

tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2009, 22:47   #1114
Senior - BHPian

A very good move. As a first step, contact Doc for tyres. And budget will be over.
Really, this is a rare vehicle world wide, I believe that just 4 to 5 such armoured Rolls survive. Many were reconverted for civilian use.
This rare heritage needs funding. Then one can proceed step by step. I would say first do up the body, then fit tyres and all the while collect parts. Last would be mechanical restoration. Why first the body? Because that is the quickest way to see some result where money has gone. Parts will be expensive and it will take a long time to gather all. Mechanical restoration will again take a long time. So when body is done, some progress can be seen, that is very important for such a project. Now hope for the best, however I doubt that anything will ever come of this idea.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 27th October 2009 at 22:57.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2009, 11:19   #1115
BHPian

Re. post # 609 in Kolkata - Exotics, Supercars & Imports

Lads,

Re. post # 609 as in the title above, I am curious about the whereabouts of this Roller. Please share info. if you happen to see her.

Regards
Old 28th October 2009, 15:22   #1116
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice assortment of photos from the forum have found their way to this article in McLellan's newsletter of repute, "The Automotive Chronicles"

Automotive article :: Rolls-Royce for India's royalty
Old 28th October 2009, 17:09   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Lads,

Re. post # 609 as in the title above, I am curious about the whereabouts of this Roller. Please share info. if you happen to see her.

Regards
Hi Issigonis,
Post 609 is a reply by Julian to a post by Cyrus. The car in the 1st two pics is in Mumbai, belongs to a builder.
The second belongs to Jetha.
But if you were referring to post 906, the car in the middle pic has disappeared. It is a RR 20HP and had a Bombay number. Was lying with a dealer in Breach Candy.

Cheers harit
Old 28th October 2009, 17:26   #1118
BHPian

Re. post # 609 in Kolkata - Exotics, Supercars & Imports

Harit,

I referred to a post ( # 609) in the thread Kolkata - Exotics, Supercars & Imports. This RR Corniche II was in Calcutta in 2002, as far as I can remember.

Regards
Old 31st October 2009, 21:05   #1119
Distinguished - BHPian

While on the subject of armored Ghosts, here is one that was destined for India, courtesy a book by Malcolm Bobbitt called RRs and Bentleys.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-sg_armoured_indian_gov.jpg
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:13   #1120
BHPian

Armoured Ghost in the Cavalry Tank Museum

According to John Fasal, it is chassis #21GB.
park-ward is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:38   #1121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
According to John Fasal, it is chassis #21GB.
Thanks for the update park-ward. Any period pictures of the car in action or on display? What would it have looked like when more complete?

Was it converted from a civilian car?
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:54   #1122
BHPian

Found this while searching on internet.

It may have discussed earlier....still have a look

Rolls-Royce 'Star of India' going to auction -- Classic cars | vintage cars, car enthusiasts and historic racing
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:01   #1123
Senior - BHPian

By the way both those cars on the RM Automobiles of London auction, the Kashmir Phantom 17 EX and the Bhawalpur Bentley, have found new homes.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:15   #1124
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

very sad to see that Roller Armoured Car in such a sorry state.
If memory serves me right, the Armoured Rolls car gained fame first when it was used by T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) in his Desert conflicts.

i dont know what it is about us but we dont seem to be able do the first thing to preserve these objects of beauty, which, whether we choose to accept/ like it or not, form an inherent, irrevocable and important part of our country's heritage.

the same goes for our Mysore Palace - to see Raja Ravi Varma's paintings in such condition as they are kept in the Mysore Palace gives the heart a pang.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:21   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
By the way both those cars on the RM Automobiles of London auction, the Kashmir Phantom 17 EX and the Bhawalpur Bentley, have found new homes.
Hope both the Kashmir Princess and the Bahawalpur beauty will live on, happily ever after!

Are the details of the auction pertaining to these two cars available on the RM website?

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks