Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:29   #1276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a 49 Silver Wraith Chassis # WDC64 with body by Hooper advertised for sale. The description states "was first sold to the High Commissioner of India"

Rolls-Royce Limousine by Hooper 1949 for sale - PreWarCar

Do we have pictures of this car when in India?
From what one can make out this car was in service of the High Commissioner of India to the UK. The High Commissioner of India at the time that is 1949 was Mr Krishna Menon, who served in this position I think till 1951.

I do not think this car was ever in India.

Lovely colour combination though, and that rear compartment looks so elegant and inviting.
Old 20th November 2010, 13:21   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
From what one can make out this car was in service of the High Commissioner of India to the UK. The High Commissioner of India at the time that is 1949 was Mr Krishna Menon, who served in this position I think till 1951.
Bernard King's book shows "High Commissioner for India" not "of". Does this mean that the car was used by the British (Sir Archibald Nye in this instance) ?

Can shyml post the 14 chassis numbers of the Nizam's RR ? ("4 Ghosts,1 twenty, 3 New Phantoms, 1 P-II, 1 P-III, 2 wraiths, 1 P-5, 1 P-6, 2 Clouds bought new.")
Old 24th November 2010, 12:59   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Royal heritage Rolls-Royce home-bound after 42 years

Ex-Prince Of Rajkot Buys Back Car For . 3.2 Cr
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

THE STAR OF INDIA: Mandhatasinh Jadeja of the erstwhile princely state of Rajkot with the Rolls-Royce at an exhibition in Ontario, Canada, recently. Mandhatasinh plans to gift the car to his father Manoharsinh on his 75th birthday on November 29. The car in which Mahatma Gandhi and Queen Victoria had travelled was bought by Mandhatasinh’s grand uncle in 1934
Classic Rolls Royces in India-getimage.jpg

Rajkot:After gracing the collections of some big car collectors across the globe, a 1934 customized Rolls-Royce, known as “The Star of India”, is all set to return to the erstwhile royal family of Rajkot. Mandhatasinh Jadeja, yuvraj of the erstwhile princely state of Rajkot, recently bought the precious car in an online auction from Monte Carlo for 6.44 lakh euros (Rs 3.20 crore) after his grandfather had sold it to a British collector in 1968.
The Phantom-II 40/50 HP Continental, an all-weather convertible, was part of the private collection of wellknown Rolls-Royce collector Hans-Gunther Zach before Jadeja bought it back. He plans to gift the car to his father Manoharsinh Jadeja, who was state minister in the Chhabildas Mehta government between 1993 and 1995, on the latter’s 75th birthday on November 29. “I could not think of a better birthday gift for my father. The car is part of the family’s history,” he said. Even Mahatma Gandhi and Queen Victoria had travelled in this car. Mandhatasinh’s grand uncle Thakorsaheb Dharmendrasinh had ordered the customized Rolls-Royce in 1934.
“We wanted to bring back this heritage irrespective of its costs. It may well be the first case in which an artefact sold by a royal family outside the country has been bought back by the same family. The Rolls-Royce will be transported back to Rajkot within six months. At present, the car is on display at Ontario’s ongoing exhibition “Maharaja: The splendour of India’s royal courts”, Jadeja said.“The car has several features which were considered unique in the 1930s, including headlights controlled by steering wheel. A similar technology, now called adaptive curve lights, is the feature of the latest BMW and Mercedes models,” he said.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 24th November 2010 at 13:03.
Old 27th November 2010, 08:41   #1279
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a 1927 Phantom I offered for sale, reportedly ex Pithapuram. Do we have any period pictures of this car?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-2024_1290694242_resized_452141.jpg

Rolls-Royce Phantom I Tourer 1927 for sale - PreWarCar
Old 4th December 2010, 22:23   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Bernard King's book shows "High Commissioner for India" not "of". Does this mean that the car was used by the British (Sir Archibald Nye in this instance) ?

Can shyml post the 14 chassis numbers of the Nizam's RR ? ("4 Ghosts,1 twenty, 3 New Phantoms, 1 P-II, 1 P-III, 2 wraiths, 1 P-5, 1 P-6, 2 Clouds bought new.")
I mentioned subject cars as belonging to the HH Nawab of Bahawalpur not HEH the Nizam. I will post chassis numbers as soon as I can find my file.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:34   #1281
BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Congratulations to our very own Bulldogji for acquiring Mr. Momen's lovely Gurney Nutting Rolls Royce 25/30 (the green one). Though I must say that I am sad that she is leaving Kolkata for good. I am sure the new owner will take good care of her.

Best Regards
Prithvi
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:36   #1282
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Congratulations to our very own Bulldogji for acquiring Mr. Momen's lovely Gurney Nutting Rolls Royce 25/30 (the green one). Though I must say that I am sad that she is leaving Kolkata for good. I am sure the new owner will take good care of her.

Best Regards
Prithvi
Congrats to Bulldogji. One the most beautiful RR in India

Cheers

KPS
Old 6th January 2011, 20:52   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
The term High Commissioner for India is more appropriate as one carries out a commission for someone. In modern India, her ambassadors are titled Ambassador of India; consequently, and purely through usage, her high commissioners, who are her ambassadors posted in Commonwealth countries, have come to be titled "High Commissioner of India.

Separately, the British Indian government, and the governments of Canada, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, maintained High Commissioners in London before the Second World War. They were their representatives to the "Home" Government. The High Commissioners for India at that time were usually senior members of the Indian Civil Service(ICS), and could be either British or Indian.
I just saw this, hence the late response.
Old 7th January 2011, 00:08   #1284
BHPian

Got these pics from my Friends wedding album. Apparently my senior from college comes from a very well to do family

The pics are from Delhi.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls1.jpg  

Old 9th January 2011, 17:09   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Got this forward today about the Nizam's RR Ghost.

Apparently Cartier is footing the restoration costs.

There is an early pic of the car with its original front mudguards pior to its remodelling in 1937.

wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2011, 14:16   #1286
BHPian

one knew that the Nizams Rolls was being restored by Manvendra.And of course she will be the star of the cartier show, and well deservedly so.What is interesting is the author of this story in the deccan chronicle.Gayatri Reddy not only owns the deccan chargers, but also has some stunning cars in her home, ranging from the most modern Bentleys and Rollers to some lovely vintages.A well written article by a lovely young lady with lovely parents,cricket team,media interests and mind blowing cars.SIGH......
Old 17th January 2011, 15:49   #1287
BHPian

The car reg'd WGJ-5190 is Phantom I #76RC with a sporty wooden body restored by Tutu Dhawan in 2008.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:00   #1288
BHPian

Park-ward, are you sure? It looks like the boat tail by Ranjit Mallick.If its the same car then I believe she was copied from another P1 still with Tutu, and then painted and finished by Ranjit,originally having started life as a tourer?
Old 17th January 2011, 17:22   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car reg'd WGJ-5190 is Phantom I #76RC with a sporty wooden body restored by Tutu Dhawan in 2008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Park-ward, are you sure? It looks like the boat tail by Ranjit Mallick.If its the same car then I believe she was copied from another P1 still with Tutu, and then painted and finished by Ranjit,originally having started life as a tourer?
There was a woody RR Phantom I in Asansol. Pictures of that car are somewhere in this forum standing in a garage after coming to Delhi. Later, as I understand, this woody was made into a lovely boat tail car, and as a reference another Phantom I from the state of V.......... was used. This new boat tail has a lot of embelishments, dressed up well.

Cheers harit
Old 19th January 2011, 13:52   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
The body was perhaps by Ranjit Mallick, but Julian Williamson told me it was restored by Tutu for its owner Somenath Roy Choudhury. I believe Julian knows Tutu from the days when he restored cars in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks