Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 15:32   #1291
BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Park-ward,perhaps Tutu did start her up and copied body panels.I have seen this P1 being finished ( metal work) and painted in my presence by Ranjit at his place.Ranjit currently represents that he is the owner,and has been for many years.Anyway that is academic.I believe your knowledge of RR"s is formidable so can you tell us with which body she left the shores of England? Was she originally a tourer? bodied by?
Old 19th January 2011, 22:51   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
The body was perhaps by Ranjit Mallick, but Julian Williamson told me it was restored by Tutu for its owner Somenath Roy Choudhury. I believe Julian knows Tutu from the days when he restored cars in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Park-ward,perhaps Tutu did start her up and copied body panels.I have seen this P1 being finished ( metal work) and painted in my presence by Ranjit at his place.Ranjit currently represents that he is the owner,and has been for many years.Anyway that is academic.I believe your knowledge of RR"s is formidable so can you tell us with which body she left the shores of England? Was she originally a tourer? bodied by?

This car did belong to Mr. Roy Choudhury as rightly said by park-ward. The car changed hands from the previous owner.
Old 20th January 2011, 00:06   #1293
mgh
BHPian

Seth Hukumchand had a gold Rolls Royce-parked in the Kaanch ka Mandir at Indore. Had seen it when my dad was posted there long long ago. was told it was solid gold!
even Osho has referred to it
Osho's Literature: Osho Bible Vol. 8 Page 84
quote from the page
"In Indore, India, I used to be a guest of one of the richest men of the world -- perhaps the richest man of the world -- Sir Seth Hukumchand. He has beautiful palaces made all of Italian marble. His own private temple is a unique piece of art. It is made only of glass crystals -- a huge temple made just of glass crystals. You stand in the temple and you see yourself reflected in millions of mirrors. You are surrounded by a crowd of your selves.
He was the only man in the whole world who had a Rolls Royce made in solid gold -- even the engine! Nothing else but solid gold was used. "
Old 20th January 2011, 10:18   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Don't think it was a Rolls but a Daimler and the engine was certainly not made of gold
Old 20th January 2011, 10:41   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
Seth Hukumchand had a gold Rolls Royce-parked in the Kaanch ka Mandir at Indore..........I was told it was solid gold!
.........He was the only man in the whole world who had a Rolls Royce made in solid gold -- even the engine! Nothing else but solid gold was used. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Don't think it was a Rolls but a Daimler and the engine was certainly not made of gold
+ 1 to Wasif, that was a Daimler, still there but rotting. Maybe Cartier would consider to restore that for their third event? Certainly a candidate.
BUT, SOLID? Gold? Naaaa. There were gold plated parts, maybe with some goldleaf. Even in the 1920's gold was very expensive. And solid gold 24 Carat is a useless material, to make anything out of it gold needs to be alloyed to 21, 18, 14 or even 9 carats just to make jewellery.
And the car has already lost some of its gold plated "armour", some body panels have been removed and maybe they are now dangling from some damsels ears. Not the body panels, but the material duly converted.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 20th January 2011 at 10:46.
Old 20th January 2011, 17:30   #1296
BHPian

Indrojit,maybe mr choudhry was an owner at some point in time and maybe the owner today is different.To me that is of no importance,my interest, and maybe you could educate me,is the body style when new and the name of the coach builder.Would appreciate inputs to sastify my own curiosity.
Old 20th January 2011, 17:50   #1297
BANNED

Where is DKG? i remember he working on the Nizam's RR. So the Cartier event is one to watch out for.
Old 20th January 2011, 20:08   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
+ 1 to Wasif, that was a Daimler, still there but rotting. Maybe Cartier would consider to restore that for their third event? Certainly a candidate.
BUT, SOLID? Gold? Naaaa. There were gold plated parts, maybe with some goldleaf. Even in the 1920's gold was very expensive. And solid gold 24 Carat is a useless material, to make anything out of it gold needs to be alloyed to 21, 18, 14 or even 9 carats just to make jewellery.
And the car has already lost some of its gold plated "armour", some body panels have been removed and maybe they are now dangling from some damsels ears. Not the body panels, but the material duly converted.

Cheers harit
Yes, it was a Damiler. It was/is a very handsome limousine but was certainly not made of solid gold - that is a fact and Harish is correct.

Osho is not perhaps the most reliable source who seemed to prefer the fantastic over the mundane. I understand (this goes back in time a bit) that the car was in a serious state of disrepair. No idea what is happening to it now.
Old 20th January 2011, 22:23   #1299
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Where is DKG? i remember he working on the Nizam's RR. So the Cartier event is one to watch out for.
The Nizam's Rolls is being restored by Manvendra Singh. I too believe this Cartier show will be as enjoyable as the first !
Old 21st January 2011, 03:48   #1300
BHPian

Am I right here to recognize the Darbhanga P III 3BU50?
Photo from Kalyani Foundation
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3bu50tm1.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2011, 10:44   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
Am I right here to recognize the Darbhanga P III 3BU50?
Photo from Kalyani Foundation
The Dharbanga P III is slated to be displayed at the next Cartier event in March 2011. As it is being shown in the preservation category, you may be able to compare the paint (or what is left of it)

But, I do not think that this is the Dharbanga P III. For comparison a picture posted here.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-08.jpg  

Old 21st January 2011, 11:00   #1302
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Harit I vaguely remember the Darbhanga PIII to have a spare wheel (atleast on the right side). Boybentley may be right that this is 3BU50. We are talking about the car that has the chipped paint now

If someone can hunt out Steve Stuckey's brilliant account of PIII's in India the full story is highlighted right here in the countless pages of this thread.

EDIT: Just found Steve's post here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post899561

BTW Harit Mr. Sanghi also had the Baroda V12 which is without spare tyres. Your picture could be of that car prior to them painting it a pale/dark blue combo? This car I think had leopard skin carpeting?

Last edited by DKG : 21st January 2011 at 11:17.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:25   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Harit I vaguely remember the Darbhanga PIII to have a spare wheel (atleast on the right side). Boybentley may be right that this is 3BU50. We are talking about the car that has the chipped paint now

If someone can hunt out Steve Stuckey's brilliant account of PIII's in India the full story is highlighted right here in the countless pages of this thread.

EDIT: Just found Steve's post here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post899561

BTW Harit Mr. Sanghi also had the Baroda V12 which is without spare tyres. Your picture could be of that car prior to them painting it a pale/dark blue combo? This car I think had leopard skin carpeting?
Too much confusion. Now I agree that the picture which I put up is not the same as Dharbanga. But, the Baroda car did have a stepney as seen in the picture with Lord Montague. Why not refer to post 434 on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post889469 to clear the air.

Cheers harit
Old 21st January 2011, 15:20   #1304
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Too much confusion. Now I agree that the picture which I put up is not the same as Dharbanga. But, the Baroda car did have a stepney as seen in the picture with Lord Montague. Why not refer to post 434 on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post889469 to clear the air.

Cheers harit
Harit the PIII I am talking about is the pale blue and dark blue car in the Sanghi collection which does not have the side mounts in fenders. I vaguely remember leopard skin on the carpet. Is that not a Baroda car? I don't know about the previous ownership but of the two PIII's I saw in the Sanghi collection the black Darbhanga car was with side mounts and the pale/dark blue PIII was without.

EDIT: Good my skills at digging out old info have not rusted. Here's the Baroda car I was talking about without fender stepneys http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post829318

Last edited by DKG : 21st January 2011 at 15:30.
Old 23rd January 2011, 20:11   #1305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Harit the PIII I am talking about is the pale blue and dark blue car in the Sanghi collection which does not have the side mounts in fenders. I vaguely remember leopard skin on the carpet. Is that not a Baroda car? I don't know about the previous ownership but of the two PIII's I saw in the Sanghi collection the black Darbhanga car was with side mounts and the pale/dark blue PIII was without.

EDIT: Good my skills at digging out old info have not rusted. Here's the Baroda car I was talking about without fender stepneys http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post829318
The Dharbanga car in post #1300 is indeed 3BU50. Acccording to Steve Stuckey - It was "cellulosed in black throughout with a white picking out line to the mouldings. It was fitted with a spare wheel to each side" .

The car in post #1301 is the "leopard skin" ex-Baroda 3CP-112

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks