Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:50   #1426
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
I think the silver & green Phantom II is 44MY, the Khairpur car, not 89MW. 44MY is still painted in these colours and it is in a Qatari collection.
I had my doubts too, but watching the video, it is definitely in Jaipur. It is improbable (though not inconceivable) that the Khairpur car was borrowed for the occasion.
This car also looks more "silver" with green on the bonnet sides. The Khairpur car if I am not mistaken was polished Aluminum, including the entire bonnet and wings. Cheers
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:44   #1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Joyce,

I shall get in touch with Ijyaraj Singh (great grandson of Maharao Umed Singhji II) hopefully he will have records & perhaps photos of your car.

quoted from the www.royalark.net/India/kotah
Thank you for your reply. Have you been able to contact Ijyaraj Singh regarding our car. I am very much excited about the car's history.

Thank you
Joyce Faulknor
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:48   #1428
BHPian

Hi everyone, i happened to find an old photo in the family album, which has the queen in it and is not very clear as i have blown up(by scanning) a picture which is very small (about 2.75" X 1.75") which is most likely a "contact print" as i learnt from a post by Mr.Harit in the nostalgic pictures thread. Pardon me if this is posted in the wrong thread, as i am not sure if this is a rolls royce. Please do tell what car it is if its not a rolls royce.

thank you,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-queen.jpg  

Old 4th May 2011, 03:47   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is an excerp from an article on Roll-Royce's from America, Springfield, talking about Brewster bodies including "Hunting Car for the Maharaja market". This set a few thoughts in my mind.
Was there really a hunting car bodied in America for maharaja's?
How many Springfield Rolls-Royce were sold to Maharaja's?
Do any survive in India? Or abroad?
Just wondering.

Cheers harit
On page 64 of 'The American Rolls-Royce' by Arthur W. Soutter (published 1976), under the heading 'Special Coachwork Types', there is a line drawing (left profile view) captioned "Hunting Car Designed for the Maharaja of Bharatpur", remarkably similar in most details to the famous 1925 Phantom I 7-seater 'hunting saloon' (chassis no. ?) now with Yadupati Singhania.

Someone at the RROC Inc. USA - or 'park-ward' - might be able to shed light on whether or not this ex-Bharatpur 'hunting saloon' was coachbuilt by Brewster, or built by another company to a design by Brewster.
Old 4th May 2011, 03:59   #1430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi everyone, i happened to find an old photo in the family album, which has the queen in it and is not very clear as i have blown up(by scanning) a picture which is very small (about 2.75" X 1.75") which is most likely a "contact print" as i learnt from a post by Mr.Harit in the nostalgic pictures thread. Pardon me if this is posted in the wrong thread, as i am not sure if this is a rolls royce. Please do tell what car it is if its not a rolls royce.

thank you,

Srinand.
Srinand, I believe this is the Mysore Daimler. Clearer picture attached. Cheers

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post1186879
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 10:23   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi everyone, i happened to find an old photo in the family album, which has the queen in it ...........Please do tell what car it is if its not a rolls royce. thank you, Srinand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Srinand, I believe this is the Mysore Daimler. Clearer picture attached. Cheers

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post1186879
I believe that this is the Mysore Daimler now in the ranlal collection.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 13:19   #1432
BHPian

[quote=wasif;2310698]Here is a link on the Tiger Car from the Marin Sonoma Concours website.

Marin Sonoma Concours d' Elegance | Press Releases | Maharajah Singh 1925 Rolls-Royce Torpedo Tourer

Here's a link to pictures of the actual Concours: Maharajah Umed Singh II Sahib Bahadur's 1925 Rolls-Royce Torpedo Tourer - a set on Flickr
Boybentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:58   #1433
BHPian

In reply to thread #1429, as far as I know there wasn't a single "Springfield" car built new for the Indian market. Y. Singhania's #51RC is a modified Windovers saloon, how and why it came to be drawn next to Brewster bodies remains a mystery, but it may have just been a promotional trick, unless the mods were carried out by Brewster ?? In such a case, the Brewster coach plate would be seen somewhere, as well as a body number, which doesn't seem to be the case because Y. Singhania describes it as a Windovers.
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 17:18   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Back after 3 weeks and was successful in getting a picture of a Roller where I always wondered what happened to it. Somehow all the Rolls now seen do not resemble this car, the rear end is strickingly different. I know only partial history of the car, she emerged from a farm near Mumbai along with some other exotics, partially restored and then sold off. At one time she was with a mechanic on Gamadia Road. Does anyone have anything to add?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-14.jpg  

Old 31st May 2011, 18:12   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Harit.

Nice to see you back and active.

Interesting picture , the car looks very much like a Jag Mark IV from the rear, any idea who was the coachbuilder, James Young perhaps. Looks from the late thirties to me.

What other "exotics" emerged with this car
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:42   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Back after 3 weeks and was successful in getting a picture of a Roller where I always wondered what happened to it. Somehow all the Rolls now seen do not resemble this car, the rear end is strickingly different. I know only partial history of the car, she emerged from a farm near Mumbai along with some other exotics, partially restored and then sold off. At one time she was with a mechanic on Gamadia Road. Does anyone have anything to add?

Cheers harit
Harit
Thanks for posting the photo. Great to see it! I am positive that this is Phantom III 3CM37 with its original Park Ward saloon body sold new to the Maharajah of Kotah. Now rebodied as a tourer by an Indian coachbuilder, and owned by Y Poonawalla.

See messages 645 and 792 in this thread. Harit, would you be willing to send me a better scan of this photo? email address phantom3@bigpond.net.au.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:48   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
Harit
Thanks for posting the photo. Great to see it! I am positive that this is Phantom III 3CM37 with its original Park Ward saloon body sold new to the Maharajah of Kotah. Now rebodied as a tourer by an Indian coachbuilder, and owned by Y Poonawalla.

See messages 645 and 792 in this thread. Harit, would you be willing to send me a better scan of this photo? email address phantom3@bigpond.net.au.
Hi!
I am a bit confused. The background here is that I know that a Rolls surfaced and came to Bombay in the mid 1980's. At that time all I knew that a Rolls was a Rolls and what the grill looked like, but I did not know about 20,25,30,35,I,II or III. But I am quite sure that the car in question was not a PIII. So now when I got this photo from the owner at that time, I thought that was the car seen at that time.
Tomorrow I will post a picture of the front so you can check a bit more. But I still doubt that it is a PIII.
I will check about 645 and 792 in the next few days.

Cheers harit

P.S. I just checked these posts and tomorrow when I post the front view you will be amazed when you compare the pictures. Same car, in post 792 appears to be in same place but with the roof chopped. Vandalism!! So there is still a smaller Rolls with similar body style missing.

Last edited by harit : 2nd June 2011 at 13:05.
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:32   #1438
Senior - BHPian

This is once more case where the joining of pieces makes a nice picture. Only now there are are more questions. And such things happen often on t-bhp.
I have taken out the photos of posts 645 and 792 of Steve Stukey for easier comparison with my photo. The marks of the filler material (Lamby, or putty) are almost the same in both the frontal pictures, only the roof has been cut. So in all probability my picture is an earlier picture, though it is coloured. And if you see both my coloured photos very clearly, you will see that there are other cars lying around. a red one in the background and an unpainted car at the side. My source of these pictures has no memory of where this place was, period is of around 1984.
If I were the current owner, I would try to fix the roof back. She would look sleeker that way.

Cheers harit

Will mail pics to Steve by tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3cm37-1a.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-3cm37-2a.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-15.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2011, 22:17   #1439
DKG
Senior - BHPian

What a handsome car, pity it was butchered.
Old 6th June 2011, 16:28   #1440
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned earlier, I am still looking for a Rolls which came to Mumbai in the early 1980's. Here is a picture of what I believe may be of that car, a front view which may not help much. What I know is that it was not a Ghost, Phantom or 20HP. It was a saloon car with a slightly sloping roofline. Not sure if 2 or 4 door, probably 4 door. What was mentioned, but not confirmed, is that it was sold on to Hyderabad. BTW, did Rashidbhai have any Rolls? This picture was taken at a place just one and a half minutes walk from Kasli's home.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-16.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 6th June 2011 at 16:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks