Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 13:13   #1456
BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
DKG:
I am tempted to say the car posted by Harit is the original body on Udaipur 20/25, Chassis GNS-11. Currently it wears a Jeep/Truck body and registered RJY-3.

The door lines and front wings are too different to be the "hand controls" car. Maybe one of the R-R experts will chime in. Cheers

[
I have seen the hand control car in Kolkata after it was entered the first time after restoration by the Late Mr. Shashi Kanoria. It is a 20 h.p., not very long by 45/50 h.p. standards or even 20/25s and 25/30s with more sweeping lines, but the hand controls were in perfect order; it almost seemed like magic when one of the steering controls were pressed, the clutch automatically went in and with another hand control, the car started to move. Just my 2 bits.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 20th June 2011, 15:04   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG:
I am tempted to say the car posted by Harit is the original body on Udaipur 20/25, Chassis GNS-11. Currently it wears a Jeep/Truck body and registered RJY-3. The door lines and front wings are too different to be the "hand controls" car. Maybe one of the R-R experts will chime in. Cheers
I tend to agree with you. The "hand-controls" car was a 20HP.
I have heard that my photo is a "doctored" photo, some of the passengers were inserted or rearranged.

Cheers harit
Old 27th June 2011, 11:42   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of a 20HP Rolls seen by me for the first time. Not sure if this is in India or abroad. The memorial/Menhir in the background may give clue about location. The car seems to be rather plain. Comments are welcome.
There is no background information even on the picture, it is a contact print and the person who gave me the pic has no clue where it came from.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-18.jpg  

Old 27th June 2011, 12:29   #1459
BHPian

Ram Chander's car in threads 1444 & 1448 is a 20/25HP, chassis #GSR35 with a 6L saloon body by Corinthian, who was Fernandez & Darrin's agent in the 1930s. (Corinthian Coachworks of 75 Kilburn Lane, London NW10 (ex-Mayfair premises), later 24 John Street, London WC1)
park-ward is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 04:21   #1460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Ram Chander's car in threads 1444 & 1448 is a 20/25HP, chassis #GSR35 with a 6L saloon body by Corinthian, who was Fernandez & Darrin's agent in the 1930s. (Corinthian Coachworks of 75 Kilburn Lane, London NW10 (ex-Mayfair premises), later 24 John Street, London WC1)
park-ward:

I believe GSR-35 was an ex-Kashmir Parcel van / Panel Truck. Would you know when this was re-bodied / any other history ? Cheers
Old 30th June 2011, 12:08   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is a picture of a 20HP Rolls ........................
Cheers harit
Here is the full picture, any clues from this?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-01.jpg  

Old 30th June 2011, 12:52   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
park-ward:

I believe GSR-35 was an ex-Kashmir Parcel van / Panel Truck. Would you know when this was re-bodied / any other history ? Cheers
Correct, there's a photo of it at the Denver Library - (I don't have a copy) I have no idea when the body transfer took place. The coachwork looks late 1930s-1940s but it may have been fitted many many years after.
Old 8th July 2011, 04:19   #1463
Distinguished - BHPian

Bhopal RR PIII 3BU-86

Attached is the Bhopal RR PIII (3BU-86) fresh from restoration at the RROC Annual Meet 2010 in Toronto. Owned by Keith & Kenneth Sherper

courtesy: sneeadams / smugmug.com

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhopal-rr-piii-3bu86-frt-3q-med-toronto-2010.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhopal-rr-piii-3bu86-rear-3q-med-toronto-2010.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 07:29   #1464

Great article just published in Autoweek

Give blood, get a 1925 Rolls-Royce with a tiger-hunting machine gun - AutoWeek

The autoweek article pertains to 23RC

Last edited by karlosdeville : 10th July 2011 at 16:35.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:53   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Faulknor View Post
Hi Joyce....a very interesting article indeed. Did the Indian Counsulate actually try to buy this car, this is interesting !
Old 10th July 2011, 10:14   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Joyce....a very interesting article indeed. Did the Indian Counsulate actually try to buy this car, this is interesting !
The Indian Consulate did express interest. However, in the end, they tried to convince Rubin Jurman to donate it. Rubin politely declined.
Old 13th July 2011, 19:13   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great article just published in Autoweek
Give blood, get a 1925 Rolls-Royce with a tiger-hunting machine gun - AutoWeek The autoweek article pertains to 23RC
Quote:
The Indian Consulate did express interest. However, in the end, they tried to convince Rubin Jurman to donate it. Rubin politely declined.
Dear Joyce,
sad to see the car being passed on, but atleast you have a picture of the Maharaja of Kotah, Umed Singh II, to go along in the file.

But to say that the car has a tiger-hunting machine gun is a fable (animal story) bordering on the ridiculous. Also the Indian Consulate asking for the car is unimaginable.

The story of a machine gun for Tiger hunting is not possible because Maharajas and other royals never went to decimate the tiger population. They did go for hunts, but it was largely controlled, their exclusive sport for themselves and guests. It was after independance that others decided to hunt and kill tigers, the Maharajas had their own new problems and priorities, and had no powers to do anything against hunting. The nation was young and again had its own priorities, so advantage was taken and tigers almost hunted down to extinction. During the Maharajas rules there was some sort of control. This was told to me by an ex-Maharaja.

The Indian Consulate asking for the car must be another story. What would they do with it? They cannot get it shipped to India, there is no provision in law to import such a car into India. Whenever Mahatma Gandhi's artefacts come up in some auction, we see the Indian missions located near the place of sale try and get them for India, through local resident Indians to bid and donate. And then whether and how these are brought to India is another matter. In the last budget there is a mention of bringing in artefacts, it had become such a problem. But why limit to Gandhi's stuff, there are better cultural goods, arts and automobiles available abroad which some may like to bring back. As yet these items are not allowed to be brought in.

All ex-Maharaja Rolls Royce cars were not used for tiger hunting, even if they have the big Stephen Grebel lights. The Rajkot Rolls was very revered, painted in safron colour, a holy symbolic colour and would not have been used for killing. And further more, other animals were also hunted apart from Tigers.

While this Kotah Rolls was in your possession, could you use it and take for events? We would love to see some pictures.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 15:08   #1468
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bhopal RR PIII 3BU-86

Quote:
Attached is the Bhopal RR PIII (3BU-86) fresh from restoration at the RROC Annual Meet 2010 in Toronto.
Thanks for sharing. PUA 700 could possibly have been its last Indian registration number, was the car in Punjab at any point?
Old 17th July 2011, 15:30   #1469
Senior - BHPian

An Old snap of a rolls looks like a 1928/29 Phantom 1. Any clues whose and has this car survived . At the back it says " 36kms North of Surat. Hse left - yello and blue - Green Car. and the year 1988 is written below"

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-img_0009rr.jpg  

Old 17th July 2011, 16:12   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
An Old snap of a rolls looks like a 1928/29 Phantom 1. Any clues whose and has this car survived . At the back it says " 36kms North of Surat. Hse left - yello and blue - Green Car. and the year 1988 is written below"

Cheers
As if you didn't know...

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls21.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed