Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 02:39   #826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
I think I posted another picture of GRO59, taken when we had a short outing with the car on the outskirts of Dhanbad. I remember fiddling with the mixture setting controls on the steering wheel boss, and being impressed by the "loud" and "soft" settings on the horn. With the benefit of the enlarged picture I can make out part of the registration which would have been BRR 2100.

On page 12 post #652 21st August is a recent photo of #GRO 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
Are there any other records, other than Indian ones, of this particularly elegant Gurney Nutting design? I posted a picture of a very similar body but it was not by Gurney Nutting and it had four doors.
They only built 2 and both survive in India.

Doea anyone know anything about the Phantom I Tourer Reg no WBD 7829 in the Birla Industrial Museum in Calcutta?
Old 25th September 2008, 12:26   #827
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen I know its an ambitous project but can we please get started with documenting the other RR models along the lines of what Steve did for the PIII's? Lets start with the Ghosts? This will need to be a large collaborative effort so everyone would need to pitch in with info and help in compiling the record.

Julian can we please do this for the Bentleys too?

The format could be as what Steve did:

1. Details of when the car was manufactured

2. Details of when it was sent to the coachbuilder

3. Order specifications and special features

4. Original owner details

5. When it was shipped to India and the local ordering agency

6. Any interesting details of ownership

7. Subsequent owners/present fate

Last edited by DKG : 25th September 2008 at 12:29.
Old 26th September 2008, 02:50   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Gentlemen I know its an ambitous project but can we please get started with documenting the other RR models along the lines of what Steve did for the PIII's?
But it takes decades of research and a great deal of time and money to access the information.

Quote:
Lets start with the Ghosts? This will need to be a large collaborative effort so everyone would need to pitch in with info and help in compiling the record.
But everyones gone, this is becoming the Mary Celeste thread.

Quote:
Julian can we please do this for the Bentleys too?
Same reasons plus more, there is much less info available on WO Bentleys.
Reality check..
Old 26th September 2008, 08:08   #829
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
But it takes decades of research and a great deal of time and money to access the information.
We started with pictures in this thread, now slowly we can take one car at a time and build its history.

Quote:
But everyones gone, this is becoming the Mary Celeste thread.
Are you saying that between you, Karlos, Travancore, Steve and Park Ward we have no one interested in this thread anymore?

Quote:
Same reasons plus more, there is much less info available on WO Bentleys.
One has to make a beginning somewhere. I do realise its difficult, especially if you don't have factory records to start with.
Old 28th September 2008, 03:08   #830
BHPian

Quote:
We started with pictures in this thread, now slowly we can take one car at a time and build its history.
So will you pay the hundreds and hundreds of pounds on books, literature, travelling expenses, club membership fees, back issues of club bulletins to obtain this sort of detail?

Quote:
Are you saying that between you, Karlos, Travancore, Steve and Park Ward we have no one interested in this thread anymore?
No one has the time.

Quote:
One has to make a beginning somewhere. I do realise its difficult, especially if you don't have factory records to start with.
But it will be me doing all the work and spending all the money
PM me for my address to send your cheques to.
Reality check

Here is a contribution I have arranged from India that someone else could have done.
This is the RR Phantom I from the Birla Museum in Calcutta
My cousin in law has sent these, unfortunately the car is behind glass.
This is definitely a Hooper tourer and attempts are underway to discover the chassis number.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn6624.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn6642.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn6621.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn6628.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th September 2008 at 16:46. Reason: Text edited as per Julian UK's reported post request.
Old 28th September 2008, 04:18   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks Steve for making quick work of things as usual. Any pictures of the car with the first body? Even in current configuration she looks very attractive to me, especially the contrast of the aluminium bonnet with the bright paint.
Karlos, see Post # 341 in this thread for the original body on Chassis 4RC ......picture is also in The Derby Phantoms pg 36
Old 28th September 2008, 04:42   #832
BHPian

And here are a few more photos of the Birla Museum PI, unfortunately the glass enclosure causes reflections. Note the Marchal headlights,the double footwell ventilator flaps and the unusual mascot.
Thanks to Park Ward for identification.
I also have some photos of the Acharrya Jagadish Chandra Bose 1925? Fiat Tipo 103? in the same museum, not sure where to post them.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn6631.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn6625.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn6626.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn6627.jpg

Last edited by Julian UK : 28th September 2008 at 04:51.
Old 4th October 2008, 23:42   #833
BHPian

Harit maybe interested in this from 1970, pre export ban.
Classic Rolls Royces in India-71dc-1926-barker-tourer-hyderabad.jpg
From a 1970 RREC bulletin

Not fitting rim bands/tapes to a wheel rim is not very wise.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2008, 22:34   #834
BHPian

Any idea which RR is this one ?

to all the experts any idea which Rolls is this one ?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhp.jpg  

Old 6th October 2008, 00:39   #835

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Anyone have any idea which car this is ?
(source VCCCP - Cars in India Miscellaneous)

The pictures have file names SimlaXXXX, if that location means anything to anyone

Attachment 13188

Attachment 13189

The boattail with the little trap door looks very similar to that on the Nawab of Bhopal's 1926 Hunting Bentley 6 1/2 (Thrupp & Maberly)
I had taken these pics in oct 2005 in delhi. This car was being restored at tutu dhawan's (ex-president hmci) workshop

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th October 2008 at 11:56. Reason: Hi, Please avoid posting in CAPS as its equivalent to shouting in Internet. Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 01:55   #836
BHPian

I can't see any experts around at the moment so I'll have an humble amateur shot at it.
The only India Silver Wraith I can find with running boards like this is RR Silver Wraith #WVA 20 Park Ward limousine design 17 but the mudguards, bonnet and bumpers/overiders are very different so it can't be. Over to the experts as I'm not finding it.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-wva-20-parkward-limousine-design-17-ss-chatterji.jpg
Photo from team-bhp

Last edited by Julian UK : 6th October 2008 at 02:05.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:24   #837
Senior - BHPian

Sorry 67Bug on the confusion. Is this car for sale or is it going to be restored.

Yes Julian the car does look like a Silver Wraith.

The one below was restored at our place for a friend . This is regarding the previous post.

Last edited by speedy : 6th October 2008 at 02:29.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:29   #838
BHPian

Hi Speedy,
We have both messed up. I don't think the car photo I've posted is the same car as the Silver Wraith 67bug posted (though it definitely a Silver Wraith) and the car you posted is one of the 3 Thrupp & Maberly 25/30hp Limousines. (25/30 came before the pre war Wraith, Silver Wraith is post war).
How's the Shadow coming along?

Last edited by Julian UK : 6th October 2008 at 02:31.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:47   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Hi Speedy,
We have both messed up. I don't think the car photo I've posted is the same car as the Silver Wraith 67bug posted (though it definitely a Silver Wraith) and the car you posted is one of the 3 Thrupp & Maberly 25/30hp Limousines. (25/30 came before the pre war Wraith, Silver Wraith is post war).
How's the Shadow coming along?
The car posted by 67BUG is a Silver Wraith confirmed. The car photo you have posted looks very similar to the one posted by 67Bug see the rear quater glass, the hood curve at the rear and the fenders.. The owner of Noble paints Mr.Dinyar.Jamshedji. owns a Silver Wraith of the same you have posted. i forgot the car number.
The one i have posted is a Silver Wraith but like i mentioned is regargding the previous post not in connection to this car. There was some confusion concerning the engine number or the chassis number between this car and the blue one. So i mentioned this car was done at our place and belongs to a friend so i can find out the details.

The Shadow is still a long way. Diwali now so everyone is busy. The seats, door panels have been removed and i would be sending them to Stanley to get done. The car also would go into paint next week. Unfortunately for this one i would be working the other way round . Something better than nothing i would say.

Last edited by speedy : 6th October 2008 at 02:52.
Old 6th October 2008, 03:09   #840
BHPian

Glad to hear the Shadow is coming along, it will be worth it in the end. Keep up the good work!
Do you have any other projects at the moment?
The 2 Silver Wraiths are indeed similar but:

Classic Rolls Royces in India-silver-wraith.jpg

Here are the 3 identical Thrupp & Maberley 25/30s all to design 1254 (Not Silver Wraiths though they look similar)
The only difference is the louvres on the bonnet sides of #GGR 56 (better cooling for hot climates)

Classic Rolls Royces in India-2530-tm.jpg

All photos from Team-bhp

Last edited by Julian UK : 6th October 2008 at 03:13.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed