Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 17:42   #1186
BHPian

engine jammed,steering and suspension jammed,starter missing,brakes non existant,no manuals,cosmetics sad,body lines shabby,dash..less said the better.stronger men have cried.Harit was so right.She has gone to the dogs....
Old 6th May 2010, 17:44   #1187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Oh that car? I was under the impression Harit meant the other 500k which really has deteriorated and needs major surgery. I think it was with Jackie Shroff? So Bulldogji has bought the Cartier 500K? I am confused
I don't know who bought what, but I believe Pratap Roy's car was the one with JM Chudasama/Cartier. The Jackie Shroff car I'm told was a 540K, and I believe has a Pune owner.

Back to Rolls Royce now
agspins, thats a neat find. Do other seniors know of this car? What model is it?
Old 6th May 2010, 17:57   #1188
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
engine jammed,steering and suspension jammed,starter missing,brakes non existant,no manuals,cosmetics sad,body lines shabby,dash..less said the better.stronger men have cried.Harit was so right.She has gone to the dogs....
Do excuse my ignorance but you have acquired a 500k which is the above car? Wow do please share more on this one
Old 6th May 2010, 18:09   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Ji, bull...............anagram!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Do excuse my ignorance but you have acquired a 500k which is the above car? Wow do please share more on this one
Since this is a Rolls-Royce thread, please notice the green one on the left
(Pic courtsey tbhp Cartier Thread)

Now lets get back to the genuine Rolls posts on the previous page!!!

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-merc-temp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 6th May 2010 at 18:14.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2010, 18:11   #1190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Since this is a Rolls-Royce thread, please notice the green one on the left
(Pic courtsey Cartier Thread)

Cheers harit
I think you mean the Lagonda?
Old 6th May 2010, 19:03   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I think you mean the Lagonda?
For justification of being posted on this thread, please consider this to the Momen Rolls.

Now back to the Indian Star, 20HP and Dharbanga RR.

BTW, if this Dharbanga Rolls was sold in the early seventies for 30K, then that was a reasonable price AT THAT TIME. I started following pricing since around 1977, 30K for that car at that time was not cheap.
Remember, AFTER Maruti cars became available in 1983, there was a proposal to exchange the BHU Rolls's with Maruti cars. Now figure the valuation.

Cheers harit
BTW, now we are back on Rolls track

Cheers harit
Old 8th May 2010, 15:20   #1192
BHPian

Hey Harit,what justification are you talking about by posting pictures of a mercedez and a lagonda? And calling mr Seths lagonda mr Momens rolls royce?Which in any case was his blue, and not green RR?ha ha but you achieved your objective..Posting a picture of the mercedez in the rolls thread..
Old 8th May 2010, 17:00   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
See below a letter published in The Automobile may 2010 issue concerning a 20HP Rolls. The owner, Mr. Malcolm Ginns says that there is one more such car in India. Does anyone know which car he is talking about?

And then I fall back to my collection and post a newly aquired photo. A Maharaja's family scene, Maharaj is the second on the right, with a similar 20HP Rolls and another Limo, photo taken maybe during a family outing. Unfortunately full Rolls is not in the frame. Anyhow, there are minor differences between these 20HP's, accessories like spot light, wheel cover and box on running board which could be put back. But there is also a major difference in the way the doors are hinged, suicide doors in the old pic, front hinged doors in GRK77.

Looking forward to some real inputs on the survivor in India and on the 20HP in the old pic.

Cheers harit

Hi Harit, that is a cool picture.....wish we could see more of the cars.
I would like to suggest that the limousine on the left is probably a RR 20 H.P., but the coupe on the right, similar to GRK77 is much larger. I figured it might be a RR Silver Ghost, but going by the unique vents on the side of the bonnet, I venture to say it may be a large Daimler or maybe something even more exotic (Hispano ???). The bonnet top also looks too rounded to be a RR. May be your friends at the other forum can help identify!!!

The rear end of GRK-77 looks kind of similar to the RR 20 H.P. in the Manjusha museum. Cheers
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2010, 18:02   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
but going by the unique vents on the side of the bonnet, I venture to say it may be a large Daimler or maybe something even more exotic (Hispano ???).
I wouldn't be able to confirm she is a Rolls, but many Indian Rolls had these cowl vents - Ive only seen them on Indian cars. Here is the Banswada 20hp sporting the vents.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-12.jpg
Old 10th May 2010, 03:52   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I wouldn't be able to confirm she is a Rolls, but many Indian Rolls had these cowl vents - Ive only seen them on Indian cars. Here is the Banswada 20hp sporting the vents.

Attachment 344879
Sorry Karl. I wasn't talking about the "marine type" scuttle ventilators on top, rather the "tall" louvres on the side of the bonnet - they are not the typical RR style on Harit's picture. Sorry about the confusion!
Old 10th May 2010, 10:18   #1196
Senior - BHPian

There is something else about that picture which is different from pictures from that age.

Notice the picture seem to have been taken without anyone actually posing for it as is usually the nor in pictures of that age considering cameras were rare and film was expensive.

This is a perfect candid shot totally natural. This goes to suggest the people in the picture would have been very well off and quiet important considering they had their own photographer.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:13   #1197
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Do I see a sweeping v shaped cut along the bonnet? like the fleetwood design? coming down just behind the stepney
Old 10th May 2010, 14:13   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Here's another pic of this car when it participated in the rally in mumbai in 2008.
Attached Images

Old 13th May 2010, 14:56   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a 1924 Silver Ghost that may have spent some time in India, under possession of Lord Mountbatten.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-ghost1924.jpg

Sandringham Museum - 1924 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 14th May 2010, 04:26   #1200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

Hi Harit, that is a cool picture.....wish we could see more of the cars.
I would like to suggest that the limousine on the left is probably a RR 20 H.P., but the coupe on the right, similar to GRK77 is much larger. I figured it might be a RR Silver Ghost, but going by the unique vents on the side of the bonnet, I venture to say it may be a large Daimler or maybe something even more exotic (Hispano ???). The bonnet top also looks too rounded to be a RR. May be your friends at the other forum can help identify!!!

The rear end of GRK-77 looks kind of similar to the RR 20 H.P. in the Manjusha museum. Cheers
Don't know where I got this from (in all probability it was indeed from T-BHP / Harit's collection). But seems to be from the same trip / taken at the same time as Harit's fabulous shot above.

Name:  India RR 20HP and TBD 1.bmp
Views: 1562
Size:  920.5 KB

==========================================

The Mountbatten RR SG below is Chassis # 134-EM (1924). Note the interesting "signaller with semaphore" mascot - maybe a concession to Mountbatten's naval career!

Last edited by travancore : 14th May 2010 at 04:36.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks