Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 18:36   #1201
BHPian

1927 Rolls Royce 20 HP Open Tourer by Hooper

Classic Rolls Royces in India-car_1_58529.jpg

Registration Number: DS 7695 Chassis Number: GAJ 81
As the Maharajas lost power in the British Raj, they became increasingly hooked to the trappings of power of the Western world. Major western purveyors of luxury goods from Cartier to Louis Vuitton to Rolls-Royce became their personal catalogue houses, as the princes adopted western dress and ways of living.

Motor cars were an extravagance that enriched the car manufacturers, in particular Rolls-Royce; regarded as the finest manufacturer, with luxury cars given as gifts and in trousseaus.

Purchased new in 1927 by the Maharaja of Burdwan (a region of Bengal, India) as a wedding gift for his son, this fine open tourer by Hooper is most original, retaining the original aluminium body work over an ash frame and all original instruments on a polished aluminium dashboard. GAJ 81 was subsequently purchased in 1958 by Mr Whittingham, an American and driven overland to Genoa, Italy. Photographs and correspondence of the trip included in the comprehensive history file show the car navigating rivers aboard rafts and crossing deserts in Afghanistan. GAJ 81 was shipped to New York from Genoa and was then driven across the States to Mr Whittingham‘s home in Los Angeles, California.

Coys

Last edited by vagu : 14th May 2010 at 18:38.
Old 16th May 2010, 14:16   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Don't know where I got this from (in all probability it was indeed from T-BHP / Harit's collection). But seems to be from the same trip / taken at the same time as Harit's fabulous shot above
Hi Travancore! The second picture you have posted is indeed a copy of a same picture which I have, but my picture is clearer. Where did you get that from? I had not posted that. And, I did get two copies of that picture, and one copy was a poor image. And both copies are still with me. I have noted that copies of some of my pictures do exist, and these copies are also old.

Cheers harit

BTW, I have heard that the Rolls of Rajkot, PII Continental of 1934 was sold to someone with Indian Royal connection. Since I do not believe what I have heard, I would not like to post the info who thez are till someone else can confirm. If what I have heard is correct, the car could even come back to India!!

Last edited by harit : 16th May 2010 at 14:26.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:11   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Jodhpur Rolls

This car got exported ??????? I saw it in November 2007 ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Does anyone know the story on this Rolls, 94RF 1927 Windovers Limousine Jodphur?

Attachment 185477

A friend sent me this link showing the car apparently in the UK, beautifully restored.

Attachment 185478
Attachment 185479

DSC00483 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Interestingly a 47 Buick cabrio in Jodhpur is shown with the same plate.

Attachment 185480
Old 17th May 2010, 10:16   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
This car got exported ??????? I saw it in November 2007 ....
It appears it was in UK for a restoration and is now back with the owners in India !
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:44   #1205
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have pictures of the Rolls Royces with the Vizianagaram family? One of which was apparently a very special RR
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:11   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Does anyone have pictures of the Rolls Royces with the Vizianagaram family? One of which was apparently a very special RR
Here is one for you DKG....

The polished Aluminum Vizianagaram PI (Chassis 16-HC) is pretty well known and well published. It may already be on T-BHP (can't find it though)
Photo below courtesy "Autocar - RR compilation"

Classic Rolls Royces in India-vizianagaram-rr-pi-16hc-medium.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2010, 08:21   #1207
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The polished Aluminum Vizianagaram PI (Chassis 16-HC) is pretty well known and well published.
Has this car survived Prem? is it still in India and if so any pictures of it in its present condition?
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:26   #1208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has this car survived Prem? is it still in India and if so any pictures of it in its present condition?
I honestly do not know. I have not seen any recent pictures either.

This car seems to be very similar to the Nanpara PI (6-YC) "Aluminum Skulptur" and recently very much in the news. Both are by Windovers

Last edited by travancore : 23rd May 2010 at 18:32.
Old 30th May 2010, 18:33   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Rolls vizangram

Has this really survived ?

Quote:
I honestly do not know. I have not seen any recent pictures either.

This car seems to be very similar to the Nanpara PI (6-YC) "Aluminum Skulptur" and recently very much in the news. Both are by Windovers

Last edited by v12 : 30th May 2010 at 20:48.
Old 31st May 2010, 09:15   #1210
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I vaguely remember a picture posted by someone here on the forum, perhaps in this thread, of a car mentioned as the Vizianagaram car with a collector in Delhi. I am not sure if its the same car as the family may have had more than one RR. It was a picture in a garage where this car was alongside another car
Old 1st June 2010, 18:06   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, just back and lots to catch up.

I believe that this car is very much alive, in or around Delhi, and was used as a template for that recent new creation built on that Asansol Rolls which was earlier a Woody.
As far as I know that state was left with three Rolls's, another one, a smaller sedan was also stuck in Delhi and the third was supposed to be a very precious car, some say that a tree is growing through it, but I have no clue what and where it is. This Rolls also posted by Travancore has most certainly survived, many tbhpians have seen it, being badly kept, and many more are aware of it.

Cheers harit
Old 1st June 2010, 20:37   #1212
BHPian

Re. thread #1175, this is obviously a Barker tourer. Bahawalpur owned #41LK (which they converted to a shooting car in 1933) and #82RM which was later rebodied as a Barker lim dv. I think this could be the first body on #82RM because the original wings of #41LK were retained and they are quite different. It was reg'd BWP-1.
I haven't heard of #16HC since it was delivered to Vizianagram.
#94RF has no "history": it's been in the same family since new !

Last edited by park-ward : 1st June 2010 at 20:42.
park-ward is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:26   #1213
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I am not very sure but some vague memories of reading about a silver bodied RR at Vizianagaram and a car that was buried? Or am I confusing it with another state?

BTW does anyone have details of the Faridkot cars that still remain. There maybe a RR or two and some Bentleys ? Some aircraft too !

Last edited by DKG : 2nd June 2010 at 09:28.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:20   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
#94RF has no "history": it's been in the same family since new !
Ha ha how ironic!

Wish there were a few more of these "history" less jewels
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:28   #1215
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Wish there were a few more of these "history" less jewels
Udaipur, Jodhpur (94RF), Faridkot, Nizam to name a few who still have cars since brand new

If I recall reading this somewhere 94RF was not purchased by the Jodhpur Maharajah, but came to him as dowry from his father in law !!

Last edited by DKG : 2nd June 2010 at 15:33.

Most Viewed