Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 04:43   #1231
BHPian

Wankaner Silver Ghost

The only Silver Ghost I know of that went to the Maharaja of Wankaner was a tourer - chassis 113LG, coachbuilder unknown.
Steve
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:29   #1232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
The only Silver Ghost I know of that went to the Maharaja of Wankaner was a tourer - chassis 113LG, coachbuilder unknown.
Steve
I have in my notes that photos of 2 Ghosts appears in Barwani's book, WANKANER NO. 6 and WANKANER STATE NO. 8. I do not currently have access to the book, so maybe someone can check? Travencore suggests that No. 8 and No. 1 could be the same car, but what about No.6? Or maybe it was a later addition.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:08   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I have in my notes that photos of 2 Ghosts appears in Barwani's book, WANKANER NO. 6 and WANKANER STATE NO. 8. I do not currently have access to the book, so maybe someone can check? Travencore suggests that No. 8 and No. 1 could be the same car, but what about No.6? Or maybe it was a later addition.
A picture of the Buick available on this forum with 'Wankaner No.10'. So assuming, both the Rolls & Buick are the same with the numbers changed later.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-wankaner10.jpg  

RollingArt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:41   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are absolutely correct Karl. Both No.6 and No.8 are illustrated in the book - there are mutiple pictures of No.6 (it is a darker colour, maybe black). I have very little doubt that No.8 is the car below.
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:30   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
The only Silver Ghost I know of that went to the Maharaja of Wankaner was a tourer - chassis 113LG, coachbuilder unknown. Steve
I presume that you are referring to the supply of new cars. But it was common for cars to shifted around between Royalty, many cars have changes hands. Sometimes on the occasion of a marriage, sometimes because of some fancy.
Hopefully the next person to go and check that Ghost will be able to see the plate.

Cheers harit
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:00   #1236
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't attach too much significance to number plates. Quite obviously the car in much favour would carry 1 as the Maharajah would use it most and as it got older the number would move onto other newer cars. Unless the cars themselves are different in pictures just the fact that a RR appeared with 6 or 8 or 1 says nothing about the number of RR's with the family.

Remember the Jodhpur plates also moved around cars.

Also as Harit mentioned cars often were either gifted between families and possibly good used ones were also bought by a few. Remember the Farman going from Idar to Karauli to Bharatpur?

Last edited by DKG : 23rd July 2010 at 10:03.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:10   #1237
BHPian

An old Photograph of the 1924 Hooper Bodied Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Limousine from the Vijay Mallya Collection
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0021.jpg  

wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2010, 07:50   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Travancore RR Phantom II

Years of searching has finally yielded some results!
Attached is a picture of the Travancore RR PII (Chassis 85GN probably). Also is a link to the vintage movie that shows the car as well as some other interesting ones:

Classic Rolls Royces in India-travancore-rr-7-cropped-large.jpg

Centre of South Asian Studies - Film Collections
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2010, 10:34   #1239
Distinguished - BHPian

OOPs - this may be RR 20/25 GLZ-17

Now that the euphoria has worn out and reality has set in, the Travancore Sedanca below is probably the 20/25 , Chassis GLZ-17 (now with Bhogilal)!

Mods, sorry about the back to back posts

Last edited by travancore : 11th August 2010 at 10:39.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:32   #1240
Distinguished - BHPian

Has this car been discussed earlier? It seems new to me

Classic Rolls Royces in India-boyrolls.jpg

Roop Gills Classic Motorcycles/Cars/boyrolls
Old 11th August 2010, 13:40   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has this car been discussed earlier? It seems new to me

Attachment 403845

Roop Gills Classic Motorcycles/Cars/boyrolls
Is she the 1937 or so Wraith (not silver) ex Nabha?
Side pic would help. Was greyish in colour.

Cheers harit
Old 11th August 2010, 15:46   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Is she the 1937 or so Wraith (not silver) ex Nabha?
Side pic would help. Was greyish in colour. Cheers harit
Confirmed same car. Similar number. Would have been subsequently restored.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-02.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 11th August 2010 at 15:48.
Old 12th August 2010, 06:51   #1243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Now that the euphoria has worn out and reality has set in, the Travancore Sedanca below is probably the 20/25 , Chassis GLZ-17 (now with Bhogilal)!

Mods, sorry about the back to back posts
Confirmed by an RR expert that this is the Bhogilal car (GLZ-17)
Old 14th August 2010, 15:13   #1244
BHPian

I was browsing through a vintage car auction website and came across this interesting car.

1928 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Torpedo, the chassis number being 17EX and the first owner of the car is Maharaja Hari Singh Bahadur, ruler of Jammu and Kashmir. He bought the car in December 1928. The website also mentions that the particular Maharaja had 26 RRs at that time. The history as per the site goes like this.
"The Maharaja kept the car until 1932, then sold it to a certain Ram Narain of Kanpur. A few months later P.K. Mitter of Calcutta, a well-known connoisseur of very exclusive cars (including a Duesenberg and an Isotta-Fraschini, the latter being sold to finance the acquisition of Rolls-Royce’s experimental car), acquired 17EX, and he used it for some 11 years. In fact, his son Jayanta Mitter recalls 17EX very fondly, mentioning that its performance abilities struck a nice chord between the Duesenberg J roadster of his father (and that of his uncle, who too had a Duesenberg) and his uncle's 1938 Mercedes-Benz 250. The Duesenberg was faster overall, while the Mercedes was good for short bursts. But 17EX was undoubtedly the most striking of the lot. And interestingly, 17EX was sold when P.K. Mitter decided to acquire a Packard that was advertised to do a genuine 100 mph.

17EX then went to Greta Devi of Allahabad in 1944. A West Bengal registration document dated 1956 indicates a transfer of ownership between one Sukosh Banerjee and Bimal Kanti Ghose, both of Calcutta, but the next long-term owner was the Raja Saheb (more a landed gentry than a true royal) of the remote princely state of Bhadri in the north central province of Madhya Pradesh. Sometime in the 1960s, news of the car’s existence reached the ear of Protap Roy, a scion of the princely family of Santosh (which is in Bangladesh now) who eventually persuaded the Raja Saheb to part with 17EX in 1967.

But as Roy had a penchant for acquiring cars – and cash was limited – for every new acquisition he had to sell something from his collection. And so it came to pass that 17EX was eventually sold to Christopher Renwick, who in turn had the car shipped out of India, eventually selling 17EX to two Italians Veniero Molari and Giulio Vignale (the nephew of coachbuilder Alfredo Vignale) in 1976". The car was last seen in a auction at October 28, 2009.

From the senior members of the forum, would like to hear more on the history of this car and more curious on the fate of Isotta-Fraschini.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-1928-rr1.jpg  

Old 15th August 2010, 14:01   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Confirmed same car. Similar number. Would have been subsequently restored.

Cheers harit
harit bhai this is a 25/30, thrupp and maberly limo,ex nabha, was with brig. Gill in the late 80s when he wanted 4 lakhs for it!!

Most Viewed