Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2019, 13:19   #2521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Note sure if this particular picture has been shared before, apologies if so.

Quote:
Maharaja of Nabha. Creator: Unknown. (Photo by National Motor Museum/Heritage Images via Getty Images)
Classic Rolls Royces in India-gettyimages11818393662048x2048.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 16:11   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Note sure if this particular picture has been shared before, apologies if so.
What a great car and great picture. I must comment on the way things were and are now.

Kindly see where the car is parked, in unkempt grass and dirt even for a photo. Not careless but an accepted fact of life.

Today's pampered queens saw really good service in the days of yore when katcha (dirt) roads and mud was the norm. So it would not be out of the ordinary for the driver to park it like this car is, to pose for a photo. I guess mud and dirt roads were as acceptable part of the car scene as horse and elephant dung was and is in the finest of pageants and parades as a reality.

In Bahawalpur, when the Nawab had to travel, a circular was issued by the Palace to the state works department which would send out water carrying bullock carts and labour gangs who would cut the long reeds (Sarkunda) to place across the track and water them to keep the dust out.

It was de rigueur to go and take a bath with change of clothes first thing upon arrival especially in tourers.

Imagine the condition of the cars especially underneath when the convoy arrived at the scene. Tyre punctures were a routine as were breakdowns, hence at least two back up cars were deployed by the Nawabs.

Romantic now.. My mother remembers, not fondly, when as children, the procedure in a dust storm was to stop the car, lower the roof, and all children to crawl under the car or sit on the side board on the lee side. (Chevy and Studebaker tourers). This after the storm blew off the roof of the Chevy tourer.

The dust in India and the cold in Europe spelled the death of the convertible tourer the moment cars had enough gusto to carry closed bodies. Alas.

Amer Ahmad
Lahore Pakistan.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th December 2019 at 16:39. Reason: Broken quote fixed.
shyml is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 09:09   #2523
Distinguished - BHPian

courtesy: classiccarsforsale.co.uk

Classic Rolls Royces in India-mookerjee-rr-2530.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-mookerjee-rr-2530-ggr54-1938-order-cancelled-descr.jpg

A 25/30 (GGR54) with an Indian connection.
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 16:21   #2524
Distinguished - BHPian

courtesy RREC and our own Steve Stuckey:

Classic Rolls Royces in India-mookerjee-rr-piii-3cp76-history-rrec-2018-sept.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-mookerjee-rr-piii-3cp76-period-europe2-2.jpg

A wonderful write up on the Calcutta Phantom III, 3CP76 including period photos while on tour in Europe.

https://rrec.org.uk/storage/Documents/Bulletin/S350.pdf
travancore is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 10:33   #2525
Distinguished - BHPian

The 20hp GRJ1 seen in the 1950s participating in WIAA reliability trials in Bombay

Classic Rolls Royces in India-grj1.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 26th December 2019 at 16:53. Reason: Correcting image orientation
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 10:37   #2526
BHPian

Could someone please tell me how and from where I could purchase a copy of 'Automobiles of the Nizams' by Mohammad Luqman Ali Khan?
Old 27th December 2019, 13:31   #2527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger OZ View Post
Could someone please tell me how and from where I could purchase a copy of 'Automobiles of the Nizams' by Mohammad Luqman Ali Khan?
Hi, the book has not been released for sale as of now, it should be available sometime in 2020.
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 13:51   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Hi, the book has not been released for sale as of now, it should be available sometime in 2020.
Thank you, KartikeyaL. I appreciate your response.
That explains why I haven't been able to track down a copy yet. I shall keep a look out for it in the New Year.
Roger OZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 14:29   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
courtesy RREC and our own Steve Stuckey:

Attachment 1948747

Attachment 1948746

A wonderful write up on the Calcutta Phantom III, 3CP76 including period photos while on tour in Europe.

https://rrec.org.uk/storage/Documents/Bulletin/S350.pdf
Congratulations and thanks to Steve Stuckey for this meticulously researched and informative history of Phantom III 3CP76.
Roger OZ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 17:20   #2530
Distinguished - BHPian

A stunning image of 22GX driving through Afghanistan on her way to Europe in period.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-img_6044.png
karlosdeville is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 16:42   #2531
BHPian

I saw this on a flatbed near Mehrauli today. Couldnt tell exactly what it was, although my original thought was it being a Phantom I (or something similar). Couldnt get a proper picture of it or have a look at it.
You can tell its some sort of boat-tail body and can even see one of the wheel nuts. The lines looked beautiful over the covers. Anyone got any clue on what it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-20200103_124606.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-20200103_124547.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-20200103_124614.jpg  

doublebubble is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:16   #2532
BHPian

In all probability this is the SSV which sailed to Dubai , took a U turn , and is now approaching its home in the NCR.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 09:27   #2533
BHPian

Initially, I though so too. But the SSV Phantom has blue wheels, not black (you can check the previous page), and its top is a lot flatter. This one had a much more tapering back and pointed end.

There's a good chance it might not be a Rolls either. Although i couldn't get a proper look at it driving by, i was a bit confused because it didn't seem as if though the wheel nut read 'Rolls-Royce'. Going to try zooming into the pictures later and see if I can make out anything. There is some text on the tyre that can be read quite easily.
Old 4th January 2020, 10:09   #2534
BHPian

Okay. So I've been trying to sharpen the above pictures and zoom into it as much as possible in order to be able to read the text on the wheel nut. Although really hazy, I'm pretty sure that the last 2 letters are "ZA". I can upload the zoomed in photograph if anyone here is interested, but I think it wont be very legible because of the compression.

Now am I wrong in assuming that this might be a Hisapno-Suiza? Because thats the only thing I can think of ending in "ZA". Also, this might be an incredible coincidence, but I posted about an H6 being imported 2 years back on the Hispano thread but never heard anything about it and thought I was probably wrong. But going and seeing that post again, and picture of that car, I cant help but think that this could very well be that car.

Here is a link to the Hispano thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-w...s-india-9.html (Hispano Suiza's in India)

Tell me if you guys see the similarities in the shape. Looking at the pictures of that car right now, and the wheel nuts look extremely similar. What do you guys think?
doublebubble is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 10:15   #2535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
Now am I wrong in assuming that this might be a Hisapno-Suiza? What do you guys think?
The wheel centre nut is definitely NOT standard Rolls-Royce. Does not seem to be H-S H6B either :( The photo you posted one has "wings".

Classic Rolls Royces in India-hispano-h6b-wheel.jpg

H6B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-pi-spare.jpg
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-pi-wheel.jpg

Ex-India Phantom I (10DC)

Last edited by travancore : 5th January 2020 at 10:18.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks