Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:50   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Some more cars from the Udaipur royal garage

The following car was not originally a Udaipur car, presently part of the collection though

Attachment 3089

Attachment 3090
RSY 1 was a Mewar car if Im right? How long has it been with Udaipur? Isnt it the same Bond car from Octopussy?
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:54   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
RSY 1 was a Mewar car if Im right? How long has it been with Udaipur? Isnt it the same Bond car from Octopussy?
From what I've been told this was never a Mewar car but purchased recently and added to the garage. The other cars featured are apparently Udaipur cars
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:13   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yes, looks like a hooper empress line, these lamps on a wraith are not so common, usually they had p100s, these were usually found on the MK VI bentley. thse lamps make it look like a dawn. personally, i prefer the dawn to the silver wraith
I have to agree with you here, I doubt she's a Wraith. Likely to be a Dawn. Mysore had many Empress line Rolls Im told. Heres one that went out a long time ago.

EDIT - I guess we may be wrong. The number WGC 31 is a Wraith according to the reference list you have put up.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-48rolls.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd March 2008 at 17:17.
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:32   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

DKG, this one's for you. Do tell us all you know on this particular creation. I assume it too was rebodied in the past?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-nizam.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2008, 18:40   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
That pre 1924 Ghost looks horrendeous! What is that sitting next to it?
Thats a Fiat, both the cars are of the Nizam of Hyderabad. DKG, where art thou?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-nizam.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2008, 18:45   #36
BHPian

Love the tyres on the Fiat...
Any one got a picture of the Nizam's Throne Rolls-Royce Ghost?
It's snowing here at the moment, wish I was in India.
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:25   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG, this one's for you. Do tell us all you know on this particular creation. I assume it too was rebodied in the past?
This is a 1912 Silver Ghost, quite possibly one of the most precious Rolls Royces in the world. It has done only 356 miles and was specially ordered as a ceremonial coach. The rear has a central armchair sofa with a domed roof topped by the Nizam's dastaar or headgear, also his insignia

In 1936 the seventh Nizam completed 25 years of rule and somehow someone convinced him to allow this Rolls to be prepared for the occasion. The original fenders were replaced by pontoon style fenders hence its present state.

Very shortly all these cars, this Rolls, a Fiat, two Napiers, and a Wolseley will be shifted to Chowmahalla Palace for permanent display as a museum exhibit.

The front left wheel of the Fiat (wooden wheels) was rotten and to enable the car to be shifted I fabricated a makeshift hub and fitted some Jeep tyres. Once the cars are shifted they will obviously be removed and the origninal wheels installed after some restoration. So Julian after all you won't get to use her in snow

I have many pictures as I had cleaned these cars a few months ago. This collection of 5 cars all pre dating 1912 are a spectacular sight and I'm glad the Nizam's estate has decided to display them for the benefit of general public.

I have also requested them not to embark on any restoration unless a no compromise restoration is being attempted. I feel they are a worthy museum exhibit as is. Hope they agree.

As these cars have rarely been seen and the estate is not very open to visitors I am not at liberty at the moment to share the pictures. However as soon as the cars are open for public viewing I will post detailed pictures for your viewing pleasure
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:35   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT - I guess we may be wrong. The number WGC 31 is a Wraith according to the reference list you have put up.
I posted the chassis details for just this reason, to avoid confusion

If the number of Wraiths made in 1948 exceeded 31 units then this car is a 1948 Silver Wraith, otherwise its a 1949 model

Classic Rolls Royces in India-49rrwraithdashplate.jpg
Old 24th March 2008, 15:57   #39
BHPian

Re. picture of Bharatpur RR Twenty with the Maharaja of Nabha behind. Reminds me of a dark blue RR Silver Ghost belonging to the Nabha family which used to be driven around Delhi University in the early 1970s. I think it had aluminium panels on the bonnet but my recollection is faint.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:26   #40
BHPian

"1916 RR Silver Ghost (converted from armoured car configuration by French Motor Car. Co. of Calcutta) entered by the Singhanias of Kanpur; 1918 RR Silver Ghost saloon with an aluminium body also entered by the Singhanias." Above extract is from another post of mine about the Lucknow rally. 1-3 with the alumnium body is possibly the 1918 RR Silver Ghost mentioned above (I am not placing any wagers, though). The open tourer is probably the converted armoured car; I don't remember the aluminium body but I do remember the honeycomb radiatior and the open configuration. The details are from the entertaining commentary given by Prof. NPW Moore of the Imperial College in London, then on deputation in India. Prof Moore enlivened the proceedings of the first Lucknow Vintage Car Rally.

The Pioneer newspaper, now in Delhi, would have records in its back-issues. The Statesman had a resident correspondent in Lucknow and the Delhi Statesman would have carried his despatches, especially in an event with which the paper was connected.
I wish some Lucknow resident would come up with more pictures of the rally. It would be a great help as most of the older photographic firms in Lucknow which covered the rally have shut down.

Quote:
Ok take a bit of time though.
Regarding these cars:
1--3 Looks like a Phantom 1
4–8 Are 1918-1924 Ghost
9 I presume 9 is the back of the pre 1924 Ghost in pictures 7&8
10 Is an earlier Ghost possibly pre war.
Love all that hardware

I think the forum must be shaking under the onslaught of all this heavy metal!
Old 24th March 2008, 17:00   #41
BHPian

btw..any info on the mileages.?..who owned the gas stations then..how did the maharaja's get info on cars..any automags during those times...what was their costs ?..dont flame me guys..just out of curiosity
Old 24th March 2008, 17:01   #42
BHPian

Can someone through light in the picture of the Rolls below. It is supposed to have come from the Singhanias collection.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-cimg1018.jpg
Old 24th March 2008, 17:09   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This 1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Barker body Chassis no. 9LC and body number 5670. It is in three-seater sports, originally supplied to The Maharaja of Jodhpur. In 1927 it was used by the Maharaja of Bikaner and the Maharaja of Idar in 1933.
Here she is again in some Blackhawk literature, though it says here that the car was originally Bikaner and then Jodhpur. Oh well.

Im assuming its the same car, though it doesnt sport the wood finish here.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-bikanerrolls01.jpg  

Old 24th March 2008, 17:17   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Can someone through light in the picture of the Rolls below. It is supposed to have come from the Singhanias collection.
Im assuming this is the same car (green), perhaps this picture can help. Picture shot at a Calcutta Statesman Rally, where this Ex Udaipur (Barker Barrell?) car was also present. Oddly I like the whitewalls on this car, being fully black though not period.

Can anyone explain the rather ugly bumpers? They seemed to be popular with Bharatpur cars, albeit with more bars. Were these offered by Rolls Royce or the coachbuilders themselves?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls03.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 24th March 2008, 17:36   #45
BHPian

Yes it is the same car, Thanks Karl, it parked next to the Auburn. Can anyone comment on the authenticity of the car in regardes to its originality.

Most Viewed