Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 04:18   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Three of the cars from Bahawalpur at the time of their auction around 2006 or so. Hope they have found loving and caring homes after years of sad neglect. Pics are courtesy of Pakwheels.

Any further info comments would be welcome.
I shot off a note to VCCCP yesterday requesting that they identify the RR cars on their "Discoveries" page ( atleast the year/model/chassis # if avialable). Need to go back and check! I was going to ask if Julian or Alvis could identify the three Bahawalpur cars.
=========================================

Meanwhile, another Bahawalpur 1924 RR Silver Ghost by Barker (BWP-1) is displayed in beautiful condition at the Hotel Pearl Continental in Pakistan (do not know the city). This car is shown earlier in the thread and also on the VCCCP website

photos courtesy aamirchoudhry at flickr.com

Classic Rolls Royces in India-2341526053_0df3387abf.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-2341567457_bfc32b57ef.jpg
Old 6th May 2008, 04:20   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
is the blue car a Pontiac GTO

if yes can we have some more pics
I really don't know!
Old 6th May 2008, 04:25   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Col Haider Khan did actually serve in Kalat but he never had a Rolls Royce, rather a Bentley 6 1/2 litre Speed Six. Very sadly the car was purchased with the intent of exporting it out and within three months it had left for the UK.
Alvis, any idea of the chassis # - couldn't find a listing for Khan or Kalat in the "Vintage Bentleys" website. Any pictures of the car ?
Old 6th May 2008, 04:30   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
this car was the Asansol shooting brake, now being locally rebodied as a replica of a Vizianagaram car which is lying in the same garage for many years.
Thanks Awini, knew someone would come through!

Any pictures of the Asansol Shooting Brake or the Vizianagaram car ?

Any idea of the provenance of the shooting brake shown - the "taxi" (think this was originally posted by Julian) ? Thanks
Old 6th May 2008, 17:43   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Alvis, any idea of the chassis # - couldn't find a listing for Khan or Kalat in the "Vintage Bentleys" website. Any pictures of the car ?
travancore

No idea of the chassis number. It was a 6 1/2 litre or Speed Six, of that I am sure. It would not be under Kalat, or Khan, as I doubt that the Bentley was given to him ( Col Haider Khan ) from the Kalat rulers.
This is just a feeling, but I suspect it could be one of the Bhopal Bentleys. Col Haider Khan was a very close friend of the last pre partition Nawab of Bhopal and he did hold an official position in that State too.
The person who beat me to buying the Bentley does have some pictures of it but is not very sharing in information or pictures.
One other unverified piece of info is that the car was sold through Stanley Mann in the UK.
Old 6th May 2008, 17:57   #231
BHPian

I get a feeling this is a Park Ward P III, very difficult to judge from a straight shot, but I guess two door. Twin sidemounts look fantastic and the radatior shutters seem closed. From memory I believe that thermostatically controlled shutters were not available in post '37 cars. I'm playing a guessing game here!!
Attached Images

Old 6th May 2008, 20:07   #232
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get a feeling this is a Park Ward P III, very difficult to judge from a straight shot, but I guess two door. Twin sidemounts look fantastic and the radatior shutters seem closed. From memory I believe that thermostatically controlled shutters were not available in post '37 cars. I'm playing a guessing game here!!
Would PII fenders close down the same way? This does appear to look like a PIII, especially the grill, Julian could help

PS Since 1932 the 20/25's had thermostat operated grill shutters. Quite possibly the PII's had them too?

Last edited by DKG : 6th May 2008 at 20:12.
Old 6th May 2008, 20:24   #233
BHPian

Hi all
PIIIs had thermostatically controlled shutters up to the last year 1939, Wraiths had them up to 1959, PIV had them upto 1956. PII had manually controlled shutters till 1931 then thermostatically controlled until 1935. PIs had hand operated shutters. Springfield PIs had hand operated untill 1929 then thermostatically controlled up till 1931.
Old 7th May 2008, 01:00   #234
BHPian

As these pictures of a lovely RR 25/30 aren't yet present in this thread I am taking the liberty of posting them.
BRG 1
Classic Rolls Royces in India-brg1-.jpg
Classic Rolls Royces in India-brg-1-c.jpg
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-2530hp.jpg
Name:  untitled xxx.bmp
Views: 5297
Size:  415.0 KB
I does have an understated elegance which some other makes don't quite achieve and others tend to overdo (Figoni and Flashy)
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2008, 04:13   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Does anyone have pictures of the Faridkot cars?
Maharaja Brijinder Singh of Faridkot (TBD Car - looks like a Renault radiator, but not the bonnet)
(source Tapoban.org)

Classic Rolls Royces in India-faridkot-tbd-car-2.jpg

Would be nice if someone has pictures of the "Rust in Pieces" (pardon me karlos) cars that are supposedly still in the Faridkot garages!
Old 7th May 2008, 05:15   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could this be a Wraith ? It is also interesting how the headlamps seem to be attached to the radiator grille sides, rather than the fender / wings!
Old 7th May 2008, 05:20   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maharaja Brijinder Singh of Faridkot (TBD Car - looks like a Renault radiator, but not the bonnet)
(source Tapoban.org)

Attachment 13508
Now that I look at it again, maybe a Clement Bayard cicra 1911 ?
Old 7th May 2008, 05:41   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
travancore

No idea of the chassis number. It was a 6 1/2 litre or Speed Six, of that I am sure. It would not be under Kalat, or Khan, as I doubt that the Bentley was given to him ( Col Haider Khan ) from the Kalat rulers.
This is just a feeling, but I suspect it could be one of the Bhopal Bentleys. Col Haider Khan was a very close friend of the last pre partition Nawab of Bhopal and he did hold an official position in that State too.
The person who beat me to buying the Bentley does have some pictures of it but is not very sharing in information or pictures.
One other unverified piece of info is that the car was sold through Stanley Mann in the UK.
Hi Alvis, did the car look anything like this ? (Bhopal 1926 Bentley 6 1/2 Boattail - Hunting car by Thrupp & Maberly)

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bentley.jpg
Old 7th May 2008, 11:10   #239
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Would be nice if someone has pictures of the "Rust in Pieces" (pardon me karlos) cars that are supposedly still in the Faridkot garages!
Thanks Travancore

Rusting? I thought they were in pretty fine condition? Sorry to hear if they had been neglected. The family also had several small aircraft in a palace garage. Wonder if its all there.

PS Which royal family was that which had cars up in a hillstation and before a fire (or after it) they managed to shift the cars to Punjab? Was it not Faridkot? The cars are held in a trust I think.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:15   #240
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
It does have an understated elegance which some other makes don't quite achieve and others tend to overdo
I think the Gurney Nutting RR 4 door convertible is the prettiest 4 door convertible ever, of all maques!

When I saw a green one elsewhere in India I almost dropped to my knees in awe of its supreme beauty. She's like some exquisite piece of jewellery. But they've spoilt BRG 1 with that horrid colour.

PS Alvis please confirm if that awesome Bhopal Bentley has survived! I better start saving up right away

Last edited by DKG : 7th May 2008 at 11:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks