Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2008, 05:50   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone know about this car or have pictures ?

1914 Silver Ghost Alpine Eagle to colonial specs - Maharaja of Udaipur
  • Returned to UK in 1969 and imported to S. Africa in 1975
  • Owned in S.Africa by Derek du Toit
  • Later sold to Bob May in England
(source : Classic Car Africa, March 1997)
Old 16th May 2008, 13:13   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Park Ward I’ve only just noticed your reply about 25/30 GZR30 Vanden Plas. Thank you.
I have just found I have a photo of its engine bay, might as well post it:
Attachment 15484

Can you, Travencore or anyone help put numbers to the following 20hp photographs posted earlier? Thank you in advance.

Is this 64H9 with special hand controls for H.H. Maharajah of Udaipur?
Attachment 15485

I would like to know the chassis number of this 20hp.
Attachment 15486
The black Twenty tourer is definitely not 64H9 although it's a pre-GPK1. It could be a genuine Barker tourer. The blue one looks more like a replica. I'll research them when I can find the time ;o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

(source : Classic Car Africa, March 1997)
Travancore,
This is Silver Ghost #64AB carrying a Hooper style body built in India. It is still with Bob May in the UK.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th May 2008 at 14:30.
Old 17th May 2008, 00:29   #333

Hello Travancore,

Here is a picture of #42-G-0 1922 20hp Barker Barrel-Sided Tourer Maharaja of Udaipur.

Regards-Henk
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-42g0-1922-20hp-barker-barrelsided-tourer-maharaja-udaipur.jpg  

justrolls1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2008, 00:36   #334

Here are pictures of a modelcar (Dubois Creations) of the 1927 20hp Roadster Coupe of the Maharaja of Nabha. Who knows chassisnumber, coachbuilder and are there pictures of the real car.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-1927-20hp-roadster-coupe-maharaja-nabha1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-1927-20hp-roadster-coupe-maharaja-nabha2.jpg  

Old 17th May 2008, 02:47   #335
BHPian

Thank you justrolls1 for the picture of 42-G-0, I presume its still one of Mr.Fasal's cars? You are really filling in the gaps.

Very interesting model, its not 68 H5 a Nabha 20hp so a mystery indeed, it has rather a long bonnet for a 20hp... justrolls1, you, Travencore and Park Ward are out of my league, I'm stumped, but doing my best to keep up, too much time in the workshop
Over to you Travencore and Park Ward.

Meanwhile tracking another Rolls Royce..
The top photo is a screenshot of the quite reasonable mock up Ghost armoured car used in the Gandhi film, the lower photo is of a Kanpur Ghost that DKG posted but in the midst of renovation with its old wheels still fitted. I presume the same car. A friend of mine did some work on a car belonging to the Modis, it think it must be the same car.
Classic Rolls Royces in India-ghost-kanpur.jpg

Last edited by Julian UK : 17th May 2008 at 03:05.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2008, 04:32   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrolls1 View Post
Here are pictures of a modelcar (Dubois Creations) of the 1927 20hp Roadster Coupe of the Maharaja of Nabha. Who knows chassisnumber, coachbuilder and are there pictures of the real car.
Thanks Henk, for more cool pictures, icluding 42GO!

The following is a picture I posted on the "Beauties at Dharmastahala" thread (post #50) hoping someone could identify. The rear end looks very similar to the Nabhha car, windscreen looks different. Car registration is MBN-258

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dharmasthala20mbn25820rolls20royce202020maybe20.jpg
Old 17th May 2008, 09:28   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a picture of #42-G-0 1922 20hp Barker Barrel-Sided Tourer Maharaja of Udaipur.
Very heartening to see the original number plate RJY 2 has been retained alongwith the present one.

This car was advertised sometime back on ebay, mentioning only that it previously belonged to "a Nawab". Does it look familiar?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-nawab01.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-nawab03.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-nawab05.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-nawab11.jpg  

Old 17th May 2008, 11:33   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Very heartening to see the original number plate RJY 2 has been retained alongwith the present one.

This car was advertised sometime back on ebay, mentioning only that it previously belonged to "a Nawab". Does it look familiar?
Hi Karlos:
This is a 1929 Phantom I by Barker (Chassis # 74-OR) originally owned by Nawab Minud Dowla Bahadur(Hyderabad ?) - DKG over to you!
Old 17th May 2008, 11:39   #339
BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, the Nabha family owned one Twenty Hooper 4 seater tourer, not a 2 seater coupe. Anyway, this model is actually a Motorkit Phantom I with a few gimmicks and a phony owner. Dubois has produced quite a number of such 'adapted' models which never existed and whose reputed owners were invented to jazz them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

This is #74OR, which belonged to Moin-ud Dowlah, Nawab of Hyderabad.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2008 at 01:54. Reason: Posts merged. Please see how to use the MULTIQUOTE button in the Team-BHP FAQ on the top bar.
Old 18th May 2008, 21:31   #340
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
This is #74OR, which belonged to Moin-ud Dowlah, Nawab of Hyderabad.
This car would have gone out of Hyderabad in the sixties or earlier. Moin-ud-Dowlah was head of one of three Paigah families (primary noblemen in the court of the Nizam). He is remembered more for his fondness for cricket. Nice car, interesting mother of pearl dashboard
Old 19th May 2008, 01:39   #341

Hello,

Here are some pictures of Indian Phantom's I.

#4RC 1925 PI Barker Open-Two Seater Maharaja of Mysore
#23RC 1925 PI Barker Torpedo Tourer Maharaja of Katali
#53TC 1926 PI Maythorn Limousine Maharaja of Cooch Behar
#100EF 1927 PI Hooper Open Tourer Maharaja of Udaipur

Regards-Henk
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-4rc-1925-pi-barker-opentwo-seater-maharaja-mysore.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-23rc-1925-pi-barker-torpedo-tourer-maharaja-katali3.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-53tc-1926-pi-maythorn-limousine-maharaja-cooch-behar.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-100ef-1927-pi-hooper-open-tourer-maharaja-udaipur1.jpg  

Old 19th May 2008, 01:46   #342

Hello,

And some unindentified Indian PI, please help with coachbuilders, chassisnumbers. (prev.) owner etc...

1928 PI Hooper Pranlal Collection
PI Maharaja of Jaipur
1927 PI Barker Boattail 'Varun' Pranlal Collection

Thanks-Henkl
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-1928-pi-hooper-pranlal-collection2.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-pi-maharaja-jaipur2.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-1927-pi-barker-boattail-varun-pranlal-collection1.jpg  

Old 19th May 2008, 05:27   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Meanwhile tracking another Rolls Royce..
The top photo is a screenshot of the quite reasonable mock up Ghost armoured car used in the Gandhi film, the lower photo is of a Kanpur Ghost that DKG posted but in the midst of renovation with its old wheels still fitted. I presume the same car. A friend of mine did some work on a car belonging to the Modis, it think it must be the same car.
Attachment 15691
The rolls royce 1916 armoured car had already been converted for town use when I saw it in 1966-67. The body was built by the French Motor Car. Co. of Calcutta. The owners at that time were not the Modis but the Singhanias. Further conversions, if any, must be later.
Old 19th May 2008, 05:44   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

• (source : Classic Car Africa, March 1997)
Not completely germane and subject to correction, but is this the first reference in team-bhp to a RR Silver Ghost Alpine Eagle? I have no information about the car cited above but I do recall that, in the mid-1960s, a Silver Ghost with the Alpine Eagle label was exhibited at the Calcutta Vintage Car Rally in the name of "Tom Roy": clearly from a Bengal zamindar family. The best sources of information about old cars, for those in a position to obtain it, are the archives of the regional Automobile Associations of India and, for the grander cars, the archive of the Royal Automobile Club.

The chassis numbers and the works sales records are indispensable, but they are not able in all cases to take account of numerous cars sold second hand in India.
Old 20th May 2008, 10:45   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this armoured ghost in a flickr album. I can faintly read the words "France Egypt Palastine Iraq Russia Uzbekistan Peshawar something-else-stan Delhi Cawnpore Bangalore"
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-armour.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks