Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:53   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Here are details on the Maharaja of Baroda's Bentley. Can't find any pictures of it though. Can anyone add pictures or furhter details on this car.

Does anyone have further info on this car?
Check out Post # 156 - posted by Julian. I think I had also posted more pictures somewhere (need to find it)

Old 4th April 2009, 21:53   #212
BHPian

Talking about Vintage. Here is a Bently from yesteryears. Was spotted near Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Bentleys in India-dsc00591.jpg  

Old 8th April 2009, 10:54   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
Talking about Vintage. Here is a Bently from yesteryears. Was spotted near Mumbai.
Interesting, the car is carrying UK plates. Perhaps she is town on one of the many international rallies we have been having recently.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:50   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
Would it be safe to assume that this a mid-5Os Continental Type S1? In any case, what's with the rear right-side suspension, or is it a dip in the road?
Old 4th August 2009, 17:28   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

In post number 94 Harit told us about BYH 2829

Quote:
BYH 2829 This is the same Bentley Mr. Julian showed now in UK. This belonged to a Parsi gentleman, Mr. Reporter who lived on Ridge Road. The first time I saw this car was at a rally in Mumbai in the 1970's. When she came both myself and Vohra ran to check her out, great presence. This car appeared once more in the 1990's for a rally. At that time they were already planning to take her out under some scheme. I wonder if that family still owns the car or did they sell. A lot of people liked to sell their cars only to outsiders, just like the Swan car which could have easily been sold locally for the same price.
Classic Bentleys in India-reporter.jpg

Appears to be the same car advertised for sale here, with a brief history mentioned too. Small picture so I cannot confirm.

Lot 63: The ex-Maharajah of Mysore - Featured on Artfact.com

Quote:
Description: 1949 BENTLEY MK VI SEDANCA COUPE COACHWORK BY HOOPER Chassis No. B47 EW Sage green over Napier green with brown leather interior Engine: six cylinders in line, overhead inlet valves, 4,257cc, 126bhp; Gearbox: manual four speed with synchromesh to top three ratios; Suspension: front independent by wishbone and coil spring, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: four wheel hydromechanical drum with mechanical servo. Right hand drive. For the first four decades of the last century, Rolls-Royce and Bentley Motors had followed the custom of luxury car builders to send their completed chassis to selected coachbuilders who would craft a body to the customers' requirements. When the company returned to peacetime car production after six years of war, they responded to the new environment in which they had to prosper by building complete automobiles for the first time. The Bentley Mk VI was launched in 1946 with the first of what became known as the 'standard steel' saloon bodywork. Well finished, good-looking and lavishly equipped, the type proved very popular. But there were still customers who preferred, despite the now very great cost involved, to order bespoke coachwork to their own requirements from a now depleted corps of capable London coachbuilding houses who could still create an automobile to satisfy the most discerning of patrons. Ordered by the Maharajah of Mysore, ruler of one of India's self-ruling states, this striking Sedanca Coupe is one of a pair built to this design, the other having been delivered to the Prince Regent of Persia (now Iran). The coachbuilder was Hooper, at this period quite possibly the best and certainly the costliest in the field. As part of the BSA combine which also included Daimler, Hooper was directed by Sir Bernard Docker, a man with a flamboyant taste in automobiles who would no doubt have approved of this striking Sedanca with its blend of sweeping curves and skilfully worked 'razor edge' outlines. The coachwork's most ingenious feature is the brilliantly executed arrangement in which the rear section of the roof lifts to allow the front panel to disappear into it. The Bentley was shipped back from India to Britain in 1954 for refurbishment at the Rolls-Royce factory and also at the Hooper works. The car was repainted from the Prince's colors at that time to the color scheme it now bears. Follwing this it then toured the Continent and was shipped back to India. In 1988 the car was shipped to England once again, where an extensive servicing was carried out and the clutch was upgraded. In the present owner's care, the Bentley has been scrupulously maintained. The brakes, distributor and chassis lubrication system have been completely rebuilt, together with fuel pumps, belts, hoses, battery tires and other components. Some refurbishment of the interior leather and cappings has been carried out, but the owner states that the car 'has never been restored'. It carries magnesium reproductions of the Maharaja's sterling silver crests on the doors which the current owner had made from the original Hooper template. Total mileage now reads 39,202, with the Bentley now being driven about 500 miles a year. It is illustrated on page 249 of Green's Bentley, Fifty Years of the Marque and was shown at Pebble Beach in 2000. The current owner also has many interesting letters to and from the Royal palace regarding the order, purchase and sale of the Bentley when new. With a princely history, this now possibly unique Sedanca provides an opportunity to obtain a car in largely original condition with exceptionally extensive
Old 4th August 2009, 20:33   #216
Senior - BHPian

This a Picture of a 1952 Bentley Mark VI which we have restored recently.I guess its the only car of its body type.Have uploaded some pixcs of the car when it was in restoration and after restotration.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Bentleys in India-dscf1585.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-dscf1583.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-dscf1582.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-dscf1565.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-dscf1564.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-dscf1562.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-dscf1561.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley-4.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley-3.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley-2.jpg  

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 4th August 2009 at 20:34.
IndrojitSircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2009, 20:38   #217
Senior - BHPian

Indrojit is WBE 1 the original registration no for this car?
Old 4th August 2009, 20:56   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Indrojit is WBE 1 the original registration no for this car?

Yes it is indeed the original registration number of this car.
Old 4th August 2009, 21:47   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
This a Picture of a 1952 Bentley Mark VI which we have restored recently.I guess its the only car of its body type.Have uploaded some pixcs of the car when it was in restoration and after restotration.
Indrojit:
Would you be kind enough to post a closeup of the Chassis Plate showing the Chassis Number of "WBE-1" ? Or maybe just share the Chassis Number. Cheers
Old 5th August 2009, 00:10   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
In post number 94 Harit told us about BYH 2829

Attachment 169865

Appears to be the same car advertised for sale here, with a brief history mentioned too. Small picture so I cannot confirm.

Lot 63: The ex-Maharajah of Mysore - Featured on Artfact.com
It seems that this was auctioned off in 2002.
This is the second Mysore Bentley to have been exported from India legally and then sold off. Ofcourse VCCCI has no control once the car has left India, but why do people send these treasures out when they would get more for it over here? The other Bentley to go this way and be sold off was the famous tear drop Bentley of Apte.
Many sellers of such cars want the cars to go far away, I have benefitted from such attitudes in Goa where the sellers wanted the cars to go out of Goa.
Old 5th August 2009, 02:27   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Indrojit:
Would you be kind enough to post a closeup of the Chassis Plate showing the Chassis Number of "WBE-1" ? Or maybe just share the Chassis Number. Cheers

Well the car is scheduled to come back in a month or two for a paint job i can then take a pic of the chassis plate or provide the number.Hope that is alright.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:26   #222
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is a lovely Bentley EIGHT, which I saw in a Car Dealer's place the other day. Lovely lines. Thought I would share the pic, because I loved the car when I saw it. spent quite some time looking closely at it.

Im not sure if this is the right thread to have this picture on, so MODS, please move it if required.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Bentleys in India-bentley-eight1.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley-eight2.jpg  

Old 17th August 2009, 12:08   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this is a lovely Bentley EIGHT, which I saw in a Car Dealer's place the other day. Lovely lines. Thought I would share the pic, because I loved the car when I saw it. spent quite some time looking closely at it.
Shankar would you be having the dealers contact details please. I had spoken to the owner at one point but he behaved like a snob, now its with a dealer and i hope to get lucky. Thank you.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:12   #224
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

will PM you the details which I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Shankar would you be having the dealers contact details please. I had spoken to the owner at one point but he behaved like a snob, now its with a dealer and i hope to get lucky. Thank you.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:04   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

A well travelled Bentley Mk VI in long term ownership is featured here

The Telegraph - Calcutta : Jamshedpur

Does anybody have a clear picture or some current details of it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks