Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 09:25   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
When you zero in on the kill you wait with bated breath before you make the move I am in that waiting mode!!

BTW A request to all to help in finding out what was the fate of the gorgeous Bhopal Bentley? And while we are at it also the fate of the most spectacular car ever in India (in my opinion) the Bhopal Mercedes SS. Harit and Manvendra bhai any leads on this???

Hello DKG,

I've got a book, "A pride of Bentleys" by John Adams & Ray Roberts. It features a 1925 registered 3 litre (Chassis no.880, engine no.894). It was rebodied in the 70's as a replica of a Bhopal Thrupp & Maberley hunting car. I could post scans of the book if you are interested, but am not sure if there would be any copyright issues

Kind regards
Aditya
Old 18th July 2008, 09:33   #122
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
I've got a book, "A pride of Bentleys" by John Adams & Ray Roberts.
Does it say anything about whether the original Bhopal car has survived?
Old 18th July 2008, 10:08   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Does it say anything about whether the original Bhopal car has survived?
No, the book was published c1980. It gives the history of the company, description & specs of each model made till then (upto T2, I think) and a double spread for some surviving examples of each model.

Aditya
Old 18th July 2008, 12:50   #124
BHPian

The W O Bentley 6 1/2 litre Bhopal car was chassis#WB2563 eng no#WB2563 1926 Sept Thrupp and Maberly 2 Seater.

Just as an aside, on the front cover of The Automobiles of the Maharajahs at the top is a lovely photo of what I'm pretty certain is:
W O Bentley 3 Litre chassis# ML1514 eng no# ML1516 1927 July Vanden Plas 4 Seater Maharajah of Wankaner.
I wondering if the Indore 3 litre W O is either Kashmir, Rajpipla, Patiala, a Sassoon car or a Major Alexander had one as well.
Old 18th July 2008, 13:16   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of Bhogilal cars. The red and black car is described as a 3.5 litre 1934 model, I assume it is MRG 7700 on previous pages.

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley01.jpg

This green car is described as 1934 Gurney Nutting, but I cant quite decipher the rest. I think DKG was referring to this car earlier.

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley02.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley03.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley04.jpg
Old 18th July 2008, 15:46   #126
BHPian

I think the first car maybe
1935 Bentley 3 ½ litre B91DK Park Ward Saloon Allied Motors for RS Chenai

The second car will be one of these 3. Over to MR Bernard King. Help!
B183EJ 1935 Gurney Nutting Coupe Jodhpur
B144FB 1936 Gurney Nutting Coupe Jammu and Kashmir
B194FB 1936 Gurney Nutting Coupe Holkar Indore

There is a picture of the Jodhpur car on page 247 of the Automobiles of the Maharajas, with twin horns and no spot light
One is in Germany, photo here: Bentley 3½-Litre Coupé "Gurney Nutting" 1935
Numbers need checking.
Old 18th July 2008, 16:44   #127
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This green car is described as 1934 Gurney Nutting, but I cant quite decipher the rest. I think DKG was referring to this car earlier.
Karlos the car I saw was way back in 1983. I remember it to be a four door sedan and in use at Daskot in Bombay. I think it was amongst the cars used often by Mr. Bhogilal. I remember the yellow wire wheels. It was a handsome car. Perhaps its still with him in Bombay?
Old 18th July 2008, 18:03   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karlos the car I saw was way back in 1983. I remember it to be a four door sedan and in use at Daskot in Bombay. I think it was amongst the cars used often by Mr. Bhogilal. I remember the yellow wire wheels. It was a handsome car. Perhaps its still with him in Bombay?
Well im pretty sure it must still be with him, he never parted with a car! I wonder how many cars are still used regularly in Bombay though. I must make it a point to meet this amazing person someday.
Old 18th July 2008, 21:03   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the only bentley with yellow wheels was the 3.5 ltr Vandan Plas, if i remember right. is this one what your talking about. the 8 ltr had orange drums. the Rolls Royce phantom, Bentley and mercedes 300 were the cars most used.

Quote:
Well im pretty sure it must still be with him, he never parted with a car! I wonder how many cars are still used regularly in Bombay though. I must make it a point to meet this amazing person someday.
the car no is MRG 7700 Karl. in bombay 25 to 30 cars stand in his house. all are in working condition but he uses around 5 of them. the offer is always open my friend. whenever your in town, your most welcome.
Old 19th July 2008, 15:10   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The offer is always open my friend. whenever your in town, your most welcome.
You just tell me when and I'll be in town! Im serious.

Some browsing later Ive come across these photos of Bhogilal's cars. The BMX 4472 car too now seems to be a bright mettallic green. Also note the spears/flashes that are added to most of his cars.

Heritage Dreams: Vintage cars are back- Auto-Specials-The Economic Times
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Bentleys in India-photo.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-nn.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 19th July 2008 at 15:11.
Old 19th July 2008, 22:18   #131
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the only bentley with yellow wheels was the 3.5 ltr Vandan Plas, if i remember right. is this one what your talking about. the 8 ltr had orange drums. the Rolls Royce phantom, Bentley and mercedes 300 were the cars most used.
If you could kindly post a picture of the car I would be able to recognise it instantly. It must be the car you mention. Its was a handsome car

BTW Look at that gorgeous 300 SC in the picture. Is Nitin Dossa's coupe restored yet?

Last edited by DKG : 19th July 2008 at 22:20.
Old 20th July 2008, 12:41   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You just tell me when and I'll be in town! Im serious.

Also note the spears/flashes that are added to most of his cars.
some of the spears/ flashes came with the Maharaja cars and have not been removed. they used to carry his crest flags at one time. this is another bentley not BMX 4472.

like i said just give me two days notice and if i am not in town my brother can take you across and even show you all the picture albums.

Quote:
If you could kindly post a picture of the car I would be able to recognise it instantly. It must be the car you mention. Its was a handsome car

BTW Look at that gorgeous 300 SC in the picture. Is Nitin Dossa's coupe restored yet?
like i said i still have to scan the pictures and then only i would be able to post them. i keep traveling so they would take time.

he has 2 300 SC's and one 300 S. Nitin Dossa's car has not come to us for restoration so i would not be able to confirm on that. the last car that we restored of his was the Bentley that is posted on the forum.

Last edited by speedy : 20th July 2008 at 12:46.
Old 20th July 2008, 13:22   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
some of the spears/ flashes came with the Maharaja cars and have not been removed. they used to carry his crest flags at one time. this is another bentley not BMX 4472.
Well, it bears the regn plate BMX 4472, and appears identical otherwise.

Quote:
like i said just give me two days notice and if i am not in town my brother can take you across and even show you all the picture albums.
Great, so it is fixed for next sunday then. Pukka?
Old 20th July 2008, 14:07   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it bears the regn plate BMX 4472, and appears identical otherwise.

Great, so it is fixed for next sunday then. Pukka?

this picture was taken ages ago and there are two similar bentleys. both are now in the british racing green. sorry just studied the picture closely. it is BMX4472. one was this colour and the other british racing green, forgot which was which. we never studied the nomber plates, all the cars have names. BMX 4472 if i remember right is named Chamunda.

Done deal will tell my brother from now itself.
Old 20th July 2008, 16:26   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BMX 4472 if i remember right is named Chamunda.

Done deal will tell my brother from now itself.
Great. Though I remember the "sindoor" coloured Rolls cabrio being named Chamunda, after his daughter. I could be wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks