Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 23:50   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Of the machines that graced India the following come to mind as being the most outstanding examples:

Bhopal Mercedes SS
Bhopal Bentley 6 1/2
Holkar Duesy
Orchha Cadillac
Vizianagaram RR

I'm sure many more could be added but somehow I am stuck with these 5

If I were asked to pick just one car it would be the Bhopal SS
Kudos DKG. Thought I was the only one "in love" with the Bhopal SS. You also seem to have a penchant for boat/bob tails like I do!

Which Vizianagaram RR (the polished Aluminium tourer / phaeton or the boattail mentioned the other day that the Simla car was being remodelled after ?). I have not seen pictures of that one (hint, hint)

I would also add the Rewa 1934 PII Boatail by Barker (currently in the Blackhawk Museum) for uniqueness - I have some pictures on the RR thread (red/silver/wood planked deck)
Old 8th May 2008, 00:04   #62
BHPian

I agree with you both, its the Mercedes SS, the Bhopal Bentley 6 1/2 is like a high speed killing machine with as much style as a boxer in a beauty contest. It is just too brutally butch. At the end of the day though you can't beat Italy and France for elegant design.
Old 8th May 2008, 04:16   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I agree with you both, its the Mercedes SS, the Bhopal Bentley 6 1/2 is like a high speed killing machine with as much style as a boxer in a beauty contest. It is just too brutally butch. At the end of the day though you can't beat Italy and France for elegant design.
Agree with you too, Julian - regarding Italy & France being style leaders! Don't know if the Holkar Alfa Romeo 2900B Touring Superleggera ever came to India. If it did, that would also be another "Top Pick" for me
Old 12th May 2008, 08:54   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the end of the day though you can't beat Italy and France for elegant design.
True, but did any Talbot Lago's or Alfa 8C's ever come into India?

PS Can we please get more info/pics on the Bhopal SS and whether this car survived

Travancore the Vizianagaram car was posted somewhere, seems to be lost in all the posts. Will fish it out and repost.

Last edited by DKG : 12th May 2008 at 08:57.
Old 12th May 2008, 11:07   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Of the machines that graced India the following come to mind as being the most outstanding examples:

Bhopal Mercedes SS
Bhopal Bentley 6 1/2
Holkar Duesy
Orchha Cadillac
Vizianagaram RR

I'm sure many more could be added but somehow I am stuck with these 5

If I were asked to pick just one car it would be the Bhopal SS

And if I was lucky enough to be in a position to choose amongst them then it would not take a minute to decide - The Bhopal Bentley. Unique and brutal, yet so inticing. "Like a boxer at a beauty contest" - Unique and different!!

Julian

Thanks for the Motor Sport article. I have a feeling that the 3 litre in Karachi is somehow the car mentioned in Quetta. This is just a calculated guess as Quetta had a very large Parsi community and Mr Dinshaw the last owner of the 3 litre did have a Quetta connection, though he lived in Karachi. The article mentions that it ( Quetta 3 litre ) was sold for scrap but that was hearsay and not confirmed.
Old 12th May 2008, 19:38   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True, but did any Talbot Lago's or Alfa 8C's ever come into India?

PS Can we please get more info/pics on the Bhopal SS and whether this car survived

Travancore the Vizianagaram car was posted somewhere, seems to be lost in all the posts. Will fish it out and repost.
Hi DKG:
Bhopal SS - I do have a couple more pictures, a side profile and a detail of the windshield and running board / toolbox (from the book "Car of Kings" by Lozier). I will need to scan, so may take a few days!
Would love to find out if it is still around - I have not seen any recent pictures surface
Old 13th May 2008, 21:13   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I cannot verify the "India" or "Maharaja" connection of this one:

1936 Bentley 4 1/4 Ltr Chassis B159GP
(courtesy RROC)

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley-j159gp.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley-j159gp-writeup.jpg

Maybe one of our experts know something more about this car!
Old 14th May 2008, 21:45   #68
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Prince Azamah had a convertible Bentley which later went to his son Prince Mukkaramjah, the present Nizam. Interestingly Prince Mukkaramjah had a sheet of steel attached to the underside so he needn't brake for stones!!!

He related an episode once to Dad when enroute to Ooty he managed to smash through rocks on the road, but apparently the tyres were bald by the time they reached Ooty. Later this car went to his home in Australia and possibly ended up rotting there. His residence was Havelock House in Perth, anyone seen a Bentley in the compound? Lets try to fish out pictures of this car if possible.

BTW a bit off topic but of interest. Prince Mukkaramjah spent more time working out and using his innumerous earth moving equipment than playing out the typical princely life. He was known for his physical strength and once when a Jeep had a flat tyre and there was no jack in sight he simply lifted the car and held it while they changed the wheel (not sure which end) When I heard this story from the son of his PA I didn;t doubt it one bit as I distinctly remember noticing his large wrist while shaking his hand once.

He remains in my opinion the most impressive of the royals this side of Bhupinder Singh of Patiala. Extraordinarily cultured, refined in manners and most charming. We (my family) remain his loyal subjects (you can tell can't you)
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2008, 23:06   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Prince Mukkaramjah spent more time working out and using his innumerous earth moving equipment than playing out the typical princely life. He was known for his physical strength and once when a Jeep had a flat tyre and there was no jack in sight he simply lifted the car and held it while they changed the wheel (not sure which end)
Some of his toys:
Classic Bentleys in India-nizams-toys.jpg
Classic Bentleys in India-nizams-toys-2.jpg
Classic Bentleys in India-nizams-toys-3.jpg

They are in this utube, worth a look, but I couldn't see a Bentley.

Any Napier photos lying around DKG?

Last edited by Julian UK : 14th May 2008 at 23:17.
Old 15th May 2008, 16:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

any idea where were these pics taken? inside KBR santuary?
Old 15th May 2008, 17:41   #71
BHPian

If you watch the Youtube film it says they're on the Nizam's ranch north of Perth in Western Australia.
Old 15th May 2008, 20:16   #72
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some of his toys
This would be at Murchison (?) station in Australia where he spent most of his time. KBR still has a Michigan bulldozer, am recommending it be displayed in the museum too

The cars will be unveiled shortly following which I will post all pictures to encourage people to come visit Hyderabad
Old 15th May 2008, 21:09   #73
BHPian

Prince Mukkaramjah

Prince Mukkaramjah had a couple of classic cars here in perth western australia including a high chassis invicta and a bentley convertible early 1950's and a T type I have photos of these later 2 cars when they were about to be auctioned!
regards
Old 16th May 2008, 00:15   #74
BHPian

Quote:
This would be at Murchison (?) station in Australia where he spent most of his time. KBR still has a Michigan bulldozer, am recommending it be displayed in the museum too

The cars will be unveiled shortly following which I will post all pictures to encourage people to come visit Hyderabad
Maybe they should bring the armoured vehicles and landing craft back from Oz as well. Look forward to seeing the photos and also visiting Hyderabad.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:14   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody remember the teardrop/airfoil (?) Bentley in Pune, ex Mysore car, which was with one Mr Apte I think. It had made an appearence a few years back in all the newspapers when he won a prize at an event in the UK, where he had taken the car for restoration. Apparently the car never came back. Sigh.

Also Pune is rumoured to still house the Akkalkot Bentley. I vaguely recall seeing a picture of it, a red fairly early convertible.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th July 2008 at 20:01. Reason: Edited on request.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks