Team-BHP - Classic Bentleys in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   Classic Bentleys in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/37483-classic-bentleys-india.html)

A beautifully restored Bentley seen recently at the Auto Expo in Delhi

Classic Bentleys in India-img_0194.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-img_0193.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-img_0195.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-img_0180.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-img_0181.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-img_0179.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-img_0178.jpg

this is an ex darbangha car,one of the several bentleys they owned, if im right, its a 4.25 litre MR overdrive chassis, with a body by vanden plas

One of the prettiest Bentleys Ive seen, and part of one of the best collections Ive see - Quality, not Quantity! More tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 773014)
My favourite car of all in India.

In that case, here she is at the Stateman in 89, appears unrestored here.

Hope this Vanden Plas saloon gets back on the road soon:)

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc015f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc019f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc020f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc869f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc870f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc873f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc875f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc876f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc017f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc018f.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-mvc872f.jpg

Here's another Delhi Bentley 1936 4 1/4 litre Derby , that went to the UK for restoration . Before it went it must of done 6-7 Delhi rallies, I first got it running in about the late 80s but the body needed major work (huge heavy DHC doors really do damage , a common problem). A lot of these Bentleys kept well, rebuild the carbs and other ancillaries do the clutch and the engines can go on and on. But they aren't REAL Bentleys. They're Rolls-Bentleys.
Classic Bentleys in India-scan0041.jpg
Classic Bentleys in India-scan0044.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 773014)
There is a MX in Delhi also. Originally it had a lovely nickel patina and when asked to have it all chromed I refused to do it:) but they had it done anyway. Lovely car.
Attachment 3941

i remember when it was pale green with nickle.... sigh... lovely!! such understated elegance!!

I'm attaching the pics of the delhi mx, B91MX i think.. its a james young, ex nabha i think, unfortunately the current owner is apparently modifying the body into something more sporty.
maharani gayatri devi,s bentley coupe is also an MX

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 773058)
Here's another Delhi Bentley 1936 4 1/4 litre Derby , that went to the UK for restoration . Before it went it must of done 6-7 Delhi rallies, I first got it running in about the late 80s but the body needed major work (huge heavy DHC doors really do damage , a common problem). A lot of these Bentleys kept well, rebuild the carbs and other ancillaries do the clutch and the engines can go on and on. But they aren't REAL Bentleys. They're Rolls-Bentleys.
Attachment 3962
Attachment 3964

thats nabha 34, kishore talking to HK dhanda,who was with me at that rally, which means i was somewhere close when this pic was taken.

Quote Awini -Maharani Gayatri Devi's Bentley coupe is also an MX
This is the engine bay of her car, I took it in the Queenie film at Ram Bagh hotel,
Has anyone got a picture of the car? I lost the photos I had. If I remember its a beautiful French body.
Classic Bentleys in India-devi-bentley.jpg

Quote Awini
I'm attaching the pics of the delhi mx, B91MX i think.. its a james young, ex nabha i think, unfortunately the current owner is apparently modifying the body into something more sporty.

OH NO!!!!!

[quote=Julian UK;773095]Quote Awini -Maharani Gayatri Devi's Bentley coupe is also an MX
This is the engine bay of her car, I took it in the Queenie film at Ram Bagh hotel,
Has anyone got a picture of the car? I lost the photos I had. If I remember its a beautiful French body.
Attachment 3972

Here are period and current pictures of Raj Mata Gayatri Devi's Bentley :

Period Picture with the Maharaja (looks like the same car - 3 1/2 liter ???) . I do not know where I got the picture from to acknowledge source!

Classic Bentleys in India-jaipur-gayatri-devi-bentleyi.jpg

Current Picture (source: Sherman Padam's photostream on Flickr - for all I know, he may be a fellow BHP-ian!)
Since the picture was taken at a rally, I have not blanked out the licence plates

Classic Bentleys in India-jaipur-gayatri-devi-bentley-blue-frt-3q.jpg

And while we are at it, couple more Jaipur Bentleys (based on what the websites tell me)

ex-Jaipur Bentley 1930 Speed 6 Chassis LR-2778 body by H.J. Mulliner
(source: Classic Driver / Jonathan Procter)

Classic Bentleys in India-jaipur-bentley-speed-six-1930-jaipur-i.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-jaipur-bentley-speed-six-1930-jaipur-ii.jpg

ex-Jaipur Bentley S3
(source: Affordable Chauffeured Classic Cars)
Classic Bentleys in India-jaipur-bentley-s3-frt-3q.jpg

Shall include a few other Bentleys in a later post!

Here is one in Gurgaon

Quote:

Originally Posted by awini (Post 773062)
i think, unfortunately the current owner is apparently modifying the body into something more sporty.

Could someone possibly prevail on him to remove the original body and store while he fulfills his ambitions on designing one for himself. That way should be blunder he can always revert to the original:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by awini (Post 773062)
unfortunately the current owner is apparently modifying the body into something more sporty.

Who does he think he is? A modern day Maharaja?:Frustrati

Anyways here are more pics of Nabha 34, Delhi 89. Pic courtesy xoticars.

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley02.jpg

Classic Bentleys in India-bentley03.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 773169)
Period Picture with the Maharaja (looks like the same car - 3 1/2 liter ???) . I do not know where I got the picture from to acknowledge source!

Do give us larger size pictures. We need to see detail in such rare images!:)

EDIT- DKG whats the story with the slowly junking black car? Looks remarkably well preserved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 773265)
EDIT- DKG whats the story with the slowly junking black car? Looks remarkably well preserved.

Its a single owner car, obviously not in use for quite a while, the family intends having it restored eventually

PS: Of the Mark V1's the last of the Darbhanga cars was apparently an immaculate original with only 2000 miles. I remember it was offered at the time for 15 lacs (didn't have the money:)) but sold for a little more I am told. I think that car was in silver?

A friend has the Pondicherry Mother's Mark V1 here in Hyderabad

This 1951 Mark VI was ex Mysore, and purchased by the Jeejeebhoy family in 55. A remarkably virgin and unrestored car, she still sports original pink leather. The car was painted in 74 and still looked flawless. She went in for a repaint and new tyres a week after I took these photos, and to most people it would be hard to tell.:) She is one the most silent cars Ive ever (tried to) hear.