Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 11:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of Mr. Bhogilal with his Daimler 'All-Weather'. The car was used by King George the 5th on his visit to India.
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-scan0001.jpg  

Old 30th October 2008, 15:31   #47
BHPian

Another photo of the same Daimler along with some other cars in the same collection.

Daimlers in India-p.-bhogilal-cars.jpg
Photo Andrew Blake
Old 31st October 2008, 02:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

I remember a 1967-68 Daimler Limousine available from the STC in the late seventies. My grandad wanted to pick it up but we were outbid by a wealthy business man with a penchant for collecting rare cars. The difference was two lakhs between our bid (the second) and his winning bid.
The car was black, pristine and had original tyres. It was run only some 12000 odd miles.
The business man was later involved in some scam and the cars were lying in an open lot for almost a year in the police HQ opp Crawford market. There i also saw another Daimler, possibly the 66-67 2.5 but im not sure s i didn't get a chance to peek in the engine bay. Both these cars were rotting away due to negligence along with a host of desirable classics. Later on he got permission (and bail) to move the cars to a covered lot. I dont know what happened to them after that.

Another Blue Daimler, I suspect a 1947 was picked up from a garage in Altamount Road, owned by a doctor and was purchased by a collector in the mid nineties.. Perhaps Harit could throw some light on that car.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:43   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I remember a 1967-68 Daimler Limousine available from the STC in the late seventies. My grandad wanted to pick it up but we were outbid by a wealthy business man with a penchant for collecting rare cars. The difference was two lakhs between our bid (the second) and his winning bid.
The car was black, pristine and had original tyres. It was run only some 12000 odd miles.
The business man was later involved in some scam and the cars were lying in an open lot for almost a year in the police HQ opp Crawford market.
I think I had seen the same car in Pune in the 90s. I was told it belonged to a very famous jeweller, and the car was ex Dawood or something like that.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Here is a Picture of a Daimler DS 420 at the Customs.
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-daimler-70-side.jpg  

Old 31st October 2008, 16:22   #51
BHPian

A photo of a late 30s Daimler DB18 taken during the Gandhi film, the car is now in a Delhi collection.

Daimlers in India-daimler-db18-gandhi-film.jpg
Photo Andrew Blake
Old 31st October 2008, 17:41   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
A photo of a late 30s Daimler DB18 taken during the Gandhi film, the car is now in a Delhi collection.

Attachment 65302
Photo Andrew Blake
Julian the car from Gandhi was BMX 707 (unless there were 2), and is a regular in Bombay rallies, entered by one Tariq Gore. They always announce it as a one owner car.
Old 31st October 2008, 19:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Julian the car from Gandhi was BMX 707 (unless there were 2), and is a regular in Bombay rallies, entered by one Tariq Gore. They always announce it as a one owner car.
Your right, I got it mixed up with this one, which we put in the film Queenie:
Daimlers in India-daimler-2.jpg
Old 1st November 2008, 14:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I think I had seen the same car in Pune in the 90s. I was told it belonged to a very famous jeweller, and the car was ex Dawood or something like that.
Oh so the car must have got sold then. By Dawood he meant the Shoe connection, not to be mixed with a similar name though somewhat more notorious in nature.
I wonder where his Ex Sunil Dutt (LHD- Auto) 230 SL- Pagoda top is??
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:29   #55
BHPian

As this photo is in the public domain I think it can be safely be posted here, HH Rana Ranjit Singh of Barwani seated in a Daimler tourer, from the look of the scuttle it must be 1918 or so.

Daimlers in India-daimler-tourer-barwani-circa-191314.jpg
Barwani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2008, 13:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
As this photo is in the public domain I think it can be safely be posted here, HH Rana Ranjit Singh of Barwani seated in a Daimler tourer, from the look of the scuttle it must be 1918 or so.

Attachment 65611
Barwani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow thats a lovely picture Julian. I hope this car is still in India as i have not seen or heard of it. I think it would be in the same year Range as my Grand uncles car. I found a picture of a 1919 Daimler open tourer, will post it soon.
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:06   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I think it would be in the same year Range as my Grand uncles car.
Your right Speedy both this Barwani car and Mr. Bhogilal's car are definitely both post 1st World war cars 1918 onwards. The pre war cars were a very different style as can be seen from these photos.

After 1918 body and mudguard style
Daimlers in India-daimler-1918.jpg

Pre 1914 body and mudguard style
1913 model flat mudguards and no scuttle (between bonnet and windscreen)
Daimlers in India-te30.jpg

1911 25hp landaulette
Daimlers in India-1911_25hp-land.jpg
Photos from team-bhp and daimler.co.uk

Last edited by Julian UK : 2nd November 2008 at 17:08.
Old 10th March 2009, 02:43   #58
BHPian

Local Daimler Double Six

I have lately come across this local UP 1928 Daimler Double Six ( Chassis No. 29485 / Engine No. 20552 ), could not find it accounted for on the forum and this was the most apt thread for the photographs. I am trying to find out more about the car , there is not much I could get from the net , would appreciate if you gentlemen could assist with some links for further information - the first bit of information I require is - what would be the rim and tyre size for the car ??
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-1.jpg  

Daimlers in India-2.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2009, 09:36   #59
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
I am trying to find out more about the car , there is not much I could get from the net , would appreciate if you gentlemen could assist with some links for further information - the first bit of information I require is - what would be the rim and tyre size for the car ??
Vintageman this is a fabulous and rather priceless convertible coupe double six. Its owned by a well known industrialist family. I've recommended to the gentleman incharge they source rims from Craileville coachworks who did the Corsica double six which went onto winning Pebble Beach recently. I reckon the rims should be atleast 21 inchers.

Along with the Jodhpur Delahaye this is a car worthy of a world class restoration as it possibly could win Pebble Beach when ready. I hope the owners do a no compromise restoration of this car. Its too special to fiddle with using half baked talent.

Last edited by DKG : 10th March 2009 at 09:37.
Old 10th March 2009, 10:00   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
I have lately come across this local UP 1928 Daimler Double Six ( Chassis No. 29485 / Engine No. 20552 ), could not find it accounted for on the forum and this was the most apt thread for the photographs. I am trying to find out more about the car , there is not much I could get from the net , would appreciate if you gentlemen could assist with some links for further information - the first bit of information I require is - what would be the rim and tyre size for the car ??
Wow, that's something special indeed. Can you give us more photos of the bodystyle?

Im sure the Daimler registry should be able to provide all the data you would need since you have the engine and chassis number.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks