Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 10:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Vintageman this is a fabulous and rather priceless convertible coupe double six. Its owned by a well known industrialist family. I've recommended to the gentleman incharge they source rims from Craileville coachworks who did the Corsica double six which went onto winning Pebble Beach recently. I reckon the rims should be atleast 21 inchers.

Along with the Jodhpur Delahaye this is a car worthy of a world class restoration as it possibly could win Pebble Beach when ready. I hope the owners do a no compromise restoration of this car. Its too special to fiddle with using half baked talent.
Hi DKG.

Was this the double six you had mentioned in your posts in the Daimlers in India Thread.

You didn't want to post the pictures without owners approval.

If so do tell us about this car and its history. Also please upload the pictures you spoke of.
Old 10th March 2009, 11:37   #62
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Was this the double six you had mentioned in your posts in the Daimlers in India Thread.

Am impressed Wasif, you certainly have a laser sharp memory. Yes this is the car. Its an absolutely stunning car. It has a huge chance of winning Pebble Beach if done up meticulously. I was stunned when I saw pictures of the car the first time. I have side shots but like you say I don't have permission to post.

I did however send them details of a restorer in England who did another awesome double six. Google the Corsica Daimler double six for details of that car.

Last edited by DKG : 10th March 2009 at 11:39.
Old 10th March 2009, 11:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi DKG.

If so do tell us about this car and its history. Also please upload the pictures you spoke of.
The Plymouth of Vintageman was a sedan and it did not have a front grill. If I remember correctly, this Plymouth was for sale about 3 years ago.

About the Daimler, this is a WOW car and as rightly pointed out by DKG, it is among the top 10 cars in India. But it is in a sad state, and restoration has to be done by experts. This engine itself is a beast, I knew of one guy in Hyderabad, Ali who has done such engines but I understand that he is no more. This industrialist family which owns it has a number of Rolls's which are done, why not this, which is more valuable than a Rolls?
I hope that this car will be systematically restored. Starting with the wheels is a good idea.
One warning though, the mechanic must first be conversant with the theoretical working of this engine, no experiments will do. There is a similar engined car in Godal, and it is not working. The Indore car works, but engine has had to be welded, so be careful!!
Old 10th March 2009, 15:18   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
it is among the top 10 cars in India.
Harit just got an idea from your comment, how about if we attempt to list out all these special cars surviving in India? Should make for a interesting thread.
Old 10th March 2009, 15:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi.

If pictures of this Daimler can't be posted can we atleast get details on the body style / maker, original owner etc.

Would make interesting reading.

Also it is a great idea to start a thread featuring the best cars that are still in the country.

Like for example I have always wondered if there are any V12 Packards and Caddys in India. Never got to see one or heard of any.

Also It would be a great idea for Harith to start a Marmon thread and post what pictures he has of these great machines which were in India.

On this same subject do you guys know of any Stutz cars that made it to India ?
Old 10th March 2009, 15:53   #66
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have always wondered if there are any V12 Packards and Caddys in India. Never got to see one or heard of any.
There's a 1918 Twin Six in Bombay with Vijay Mallya and a 1935 Packard Twelve in Delhi (vicinity) ex Nabha

There may have been V12 Caddies too as I've met two people who referred to them

Quote:
Apparently there's one, albeit dismantled
Old 10th March 2009, 16:02   #67
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also it is a great idea to start a thread featuring the best cars that are still in the country.
What do we call the thread

India's Finest Surviving Automobiles
10 best cars in India

We could start with what each one of us feels are the ten best (as we know) and eventually take a poll and select the ten final?
Old 10th March 2009, 16:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi.

Like for example I have always wondered if there are any V12 Packards and Caddys in India. Never got to see one or heard of any.

Also It would be a great idea for Harith to start a Marmon thread and post what pictures he has of these great machines which were in India.

First, oops, I started a thread without having seen these posts. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ted-india.html)
Sorry, never intended to pull the rug below anyone's feet.
V12 Packards have been replied by DKG, you ask V 12 Caddy, why not V16? The famous Orchha Caddy was a V16, but there is another in India, a Limo having some missing engine parts. And surely there must have been more.
One Stutz is there in Gujrat, it is not dismantled, but slightly disfigured. A Jeep windscreen has been fitted.
Regarding Marmon, I am working on this. I am following some leads. I have gathered by now 3 pics of one car, but have heard about past existance of 2 more. Trying to get their story first.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2009 at 03:14. Reason: Link to your thread added for readers' convenience.
Old 10th March 2009, 17:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
First, oops, I started a thread without having seen these posts. Sorry, never intended to pull the rug below anyone's feet.
V12 Packards have been replied by DKG, you ask V 12 Caddy, why not V16? The famous Orchha Caddy was a V16, but there is another in India, a Limo having some missing engine parts. And surely there must have been more.
One Stutz is there in Gujrat, it is not dismantled, but slightly disfigured. A Jeep windscreen has been fitted.
Regarding Marmon, I am working on this. I am following some leads. I have gathered by now 3 pics of one car, but have heard about past existance of 2 more. Trying to get their story first.
Thanks Harith.

I didnt speak about the V16 Caddys as I am aware that there were two ( Orcha & Tikari ) in India which have left the country.

Didn't know of a third one. Do tell more. Is this one of the Bhawalpur cars by any chance.

Lets see some pics of the Stutz and the 35 Packard V!2
Old 10th March 2009, 18:18   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend tells me in his childhood he saw a yellow V16 at Dadajee Dhackjee. More details I dont have, but Im certain he was not mistaken in what he saw.
Old 11th March 2009, 00:31   #71
BHPian

Hi DKG,

I did not have any restriction from the owner regarding posting the photographs , if they have objections , they have my contact details - are reasonably well known to me and can contact me but yes - one thing we all agree about - the car is something special and there should not be any compromise made in it's restoration . As per my information the car should have 30" or 31" rims but I could not find the exact size from the information I had access to which included the Daimler Registry and other sites I could google plus some manuals; with the amount of knowledge and information available on this forum I reckoned somebody would be able to give a firm input regarding this ???? Everybody seems to come up with different specs .

Harit ,
I have had the '34 Plymouth with me since 27th Aug 03 , I have never offered it for sale and it does have the grill . But it does not belong here .
Old 11th March 2009, 05:35   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post

. As per my information the car should have 30" or 31" rims but I could not find the exact size from the information I had access to which included the Daimler Registry and other sites I could google plus some manuals; with the amount of knowledge and information available on this forum I reckoned somebody would be able to give a firm input regarding this ????
I just happen to be reading "Daimler 1896 to 1946 - A record of Fifty Years of the Daimler Company" by St.John C. Nixon (published 1946).

Tire / Wheel specs for 1928 (12 cylinders) given are as follows:

3744cc; wheelbase: 11' -10"; Tyre Size: 33x6
7136cc; wheelbase: 13'-7"; Tyre Size: 7 1/2 (Seven & half) 23

For 1929, they are shown respectively as:

3744 cc: wheelbase 12' - 1 1/2" ; Tyre Size 32 x 6.oo
7136 cc: wheelbase: 13' - 7"; Tyre Size: 7 1/2 (Seven & half) ; 23

For 1927:

7136 cc: wheelbase: 12' - 11 1/2"; Tyre Size: 33 x 6.75

Why this variation in wheelbases and tyre sizes beats me!

Is this the ex-Seth Hukumchand (Indore) car we are talking about ??? If so, the Automobiles of the Maharajas book has a 3Q front view. Cheers!
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2009, 06:48   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Daimler Double Six Tyre Sizes

Here is some more info on tyre sizes (source: The Daimler Double Sixes, Profile Publications # 40 by William Boddy)

Double Six (50HP, 7136 cc); Production Run 1926 September to 1930:
Tyre Sizes: 7.3 x 37 inches; or 6.75 x 33 inches; or 6.75 x 35 inches according to wheelbase and body style

Double Six (30HP, 3744 cc); Production Run 1928 to 1932:
Tyre Size: 6 x 33 inches

Cheers!
Old 11th March 2009, 09:53   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I have side shots but like you say I don't have permission to post.
Hi DKG,

your post, I must say, is extreemely provocative . You have peeked my curiosity.

Have you got any period pictures of the car that you might not need permission for? Any leads on provenance? (I know it's a long shot but no harm in trying, is there........)

Kind regards
Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 11th March 2009 at 10:05.
Old 14th March 2009, 11:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A friend tells me in his childhood he saw a yellow V16 at Dadajee Dhackjee. More details I dont have, but Im certain he was not mistaken in what he saw.
Karl, see my response here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...ml#post1212668

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2009 at 03:10. Reason: Post edited as required due to some thread restructuring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks