Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2017, 07:00   #151
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Daimlers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Does the rear drop down ? Or is it a limo
It is a landaulette. I have physically seen the car very closely. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures with the rear down.

If you closely observe rear seat picture, the arrow marked on the roof shows the clamp holding the rear roof down.
Daimlers in India-rear-seat.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:30   #152

Hi Everyone,

Very exciting news to Daimler Enthusiasts, Brian Smith is almost finished the third volume of Daimler Days.

He has been in touch about the Daimler Allweather shown with the Queen back in 1961.

Where could we source high quality pictures of that occasion, possibly for inclusion in the book?

Cheers
Peter Grant
Sydney Australia
Old 10th April 2017, 16:54   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
Hi Everyone,

Very exciting news to Daimler Enthusiasts, Brian Smith is almost finished the third volume of Daimler Days.

He has been in touch about the Daimler Allweather shown with the Queen back in 1961.

Where could we source high quality pictures of that occasion, possibly for inclusion in the book?

Cheers
Peter Grant
Sydney Australia
That picture came from the Government of India (Photo Division) site. Does someone have any connections ? I could not order on line.
Old 19th May 2017, 16:33   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

This piece appeared in a June 1947 issue of The Autocar, featuring a 2.5 litre Daimler saloon driving 1300 miles across undivided India. Unfortunately it seems a page is missing.

Daimlers in India-img_1328.jpg

Daimlers in India-img_1329.jpg

Daimlers in India-img_1331.jpg

Daimlers in India-img_1332.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 07:21   #155
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This piece appeared in a June 1947 issue of The Autocar, featuring a 2.5 litre Daimler saloon driving 1300 miles across undivided India. Unfortunately it seems a page is missing.
Daimlers in India-img_1331.jpg
Thanks Karl for sharing. The car appears to be very similar to my 1947 Daimler DB18

Daimlers in India-25mar2.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 07:06   #156
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Here is another royal Daimler DB18, with a rare body style. It is a 4 door drop head. Not to be confused with a drop head coupe, which were more common.

From the colour combination, colour of the lights and that it is a Daimler, we may speculate this to be a Nawanagar car.

These pictures were taken in the 90's at Bangalore.

The colour combo and lights are distinct

Note that this is rare 4 door drop head. Probably a zenana car as the rear glass is blackened
Daimlers in India-image2.jpg

Cheers
KPS
Brian Smith the Daimler Historian has confirmed that the above car is indeed a Nawanagar Tickford DB 17/18. We had speculated the same based on the colour combination and lights

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 14:52   #157
BHPian

Happy end to 2017.
The Daimler on the road
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-1514712110290.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:11   #158
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

This Daimler Limousine DS420 Vanden Plas is in Delhi. Was posted on FB and is part of the Kashyap collection, which has been put up for sale.

Daimlers in India-image1.jpeg

Daimlers in India-image2.jpeg

Daimlers in India-image3.jpeg

Quote:
The Limousine was based on the floorpan of Jaguar's 420G flagship (not to be confused with the smaller Jaguar 420), but with a wheelbase extended an extra 21 in (533.4 mm). The frontal styling was similar to the original Daimler Sovereign, with the Jaguar four-headlight treatment first seen on the 420G's predecessor, the Mark X, mated to a Daimler radiator grill bearing the traditional fluting. Jaguar Mark X/420G underpinnings were also apparent from the twin ten gallon fuel tanks set in each of the rear wings, each with its own electric SU pump selected by a dashboard mounted switch.[5]

The driver sat on a full width bench seat in a relatively upright position which was said to make length-wise adjustment for different sizes of driver unnecessary, although there was 2.75 in (7 cm) of telescopic adjustment available on the low-set steering wheel.[5]

Three of the six rear passengers sat on a bench-seat behind the glass division in opulent comfort — the DS420's rear seat spanning over 6 feet (1.8 m) in width. Three more passengers could fit on occasional fold-up seats[2] but the DS420 was twelve inches shorter, on wheelbase 4 inches shorter, much lighter and with an engine two-thirds of the size of the very exclusive Rolls-Royce Phantom VI. The Daimler was always half the price of even an "off-the-peg" standard series production long wheel base Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow.[6]

Source
Cheers

KPS
Old 31st January 2018, 13:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

While glancing through my small collection of Auto India magazines, I stumbled upon an article by Captain AJ Katkar on 1937 Daimler 24 EL Light Limousine of Her Highness Princess Indumati of Kolhapur, in June 1996 issue.

The article mentions that Her Highness was an automobile enthusiast and placed an order for Daimler White with pearl finish directly from Coventry. Also, Autocar magazine (British edition) had devoted an article to the car. The car was used as her state car from 1937 to 1971 and had 1,12,000 km on odometer.

Author ended the article saying the current whereabouts are unknown and that he would love to hear that it's alive somewhere.

There's a beautiful illustration of the car, two period photos and diagrams of vacuum servo, fluid flywheel and rear suspension. I'm not sure if it's okay to share the scanned copy of the article. Anyone?

Quote:
This Daimler was purchased by the current owners from the Maharaja of Kolhapur somewhere in the 70s
Karl, sorry for quoting a decade old post, but I believe this is the car in the article (?)
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 14:14   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
While glancing through my small collection of Auto India magazines, I stumbled upon an article by Captain AJ Katkar on 1937 Daimler 24 EL Light Limousine of Her Highness Princess Indumati of Kolhapur, in June 1996 issue.
The description seems to fit perfectly. Please do share the scan, it should not be a problem I'm sure.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 15:05   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The description seems to fit perfectly
Happy to hear that

Daimlers in India-1.jpeg

Daimlers in India-2.jpeg

Daimlers in India-3.jpeg

Daimlers in India-4.jpeg

Content Courtesy : Auto India 1996 Issue
Klub Class is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 03:04   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Daimlers in India-kohlapur-daimler-1937.jpg

From The Bystander, 1937. Note the caption calls it a "Twenty"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daimlers in India-kohlapur-daimler-rajpipla-rr-pii-181ry-period.jpg

In the foreground is the Rajpipla / Kohlapur (now Udaipur) RR PII, Chassis 181RY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purely based on the interior and exterior colour, the car in Karl's post appears Nawanagar / Jamnagar-esque to me. It may have been at Kohlapur at some point.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post780024

The Nawanagar 24HP of the same vintage was pale blue, with silver above the waistline and silver wings and wheels.

Last edited by travancore : 1st February 2018 at 03:27.
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:39   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

A lovely Daimler with Pandit Nehru
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-nehru-daimler.jpg  

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 22nd March 2018 at 16:41.
KartikeyaL is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 20:05   #164
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross posting. This is a Ex-Mysore Daimler DE27 which is in long term ownership. Picture taken in 1997

Daimlers in India-image3-5.jpeg

Cheers

KPS
Old 7th May 2018, 13:22   #165
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Found an old paper cutting from 1997 of the DB18 owned by Doc.

This is a Ex-Idar car bearing Chassis No. 50833 (my car is 50931) and has been with Doc for a long time.

Daimlers in India-1.jpeg

Daimlers in India-2.jpeg

On my recent visit to Doc's place made sure to check on the car. So here are the pictures
Daimlers in India-3.jpeg

Daimlers in India-4.jpeg

Thanks

KPS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks