Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 00:56   #1
BHPian

Daimlers in India

Maybe there are enough Daimlers around to have their own thread?

The Bharatpur 45hp Daimlers bodied by Claude Grahame-White at Hendon in 1920

This picture shows the plumbed in washbasin in the tail and the characteristic Daimler wooden slats that surround the petrol tank.

1912 Daimler 30hp cabriolet

1926 Daimler 45hp all-weather tourer of the Maharajah of Rewa

The caption says "Carriage a la mode 6 cylinder Daimler was the state carriage of an Indian Prince."

Images from The Daimler Century Lord Montagu and David burgess-Wise

I’ve taken the liberty of including the Gondal Daimlers

The 30s Daimler 40/50 double six
All the double-sixes were sleeve valves apart from a few rare poppet valve engines

The 1920 Daimler 6-30 sleeve valve Barker limousine de Ville

Moderator's note: Photos deleted per user's request

Last edited by theMAG : 21st May 2008 at 18:38.
Old 30th March 2008, 00:58   #2
BHPian

Please submit any more Daimler photos available? What about including all the Lanchester pictures as well?
Old 30th March 2008, 03:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

1926 Daimler 45hp all-weather tourer of the Maharajah of Rewa
Attachment 4461
Attachment 4462
Attachment 4463

Attached is a period picture of the Rewa 1926 45 hp Daimler (courtesy of Time-Life Pictures)

Daimlers in India-rewa-daimler-1926-rewa-frt-timelife.jpg

Caption reads: "The 1926 45 hp Barker bodied Daimler all weather tourer used by the Maharajah of Rewa for tiger hunting. The Maharajah's assistant waits in place for his orders (Photo by James Burke/Time Life Oictures/Getty Images)"
Old 30th March 2008, 07:26   #4
BHPian

Lovely picture, shame about the watermark.
As you doubtless know this body was made from "German silver" which is a type of nickel. Some perceive it as solid silver but it is not. Its nickel sheet, this alone was a magnificent achievement of metal craftsmanship as any who have worked with nickel sheet will know.
I wonder what the upper pair of headlights were, were they blue lenses? Maybe it was a maharajah thing. They remind me of blackout lights but the era is wrong.
More pictures Please!!!

Last edited by Julian UK : 30th March 2008 at 07:30.
Old 30th March 2008, 10:22   #5
BHPian

does anyone have pictures of the Indira Bhawan, Indore daimler? im told the entire body is gold plated.
there are several daimlers in delhi, but i dont have the pics with me. there is the blue and black saloon in the same collection as the bugatti, the red drophead, and one i havent seen in a long lime, an ivory db 18 drophead in sunder nagar. i remember seeing a brg post war 4 door convertible many years ago, may have been a chop top, a red and black small hp tickford, there were more, they must all still be there, but mosty mothballed thanks to their preselector gearbox!!
and has the vizianagaram "german silver" rolls royce survived?

Last edited by awini : 30th March 2008 at 10:36.
Old 30th March 2008, 13:36   #6
BHPian

Here's the only picture I have of the ivory drophead which is a Barker Special Sports DB18 which belonged to the late Luvraj Kumar who lived in Sundar Nagar. He helped with my visa once so I got his car running while at Mr Seths.
Daimlers in India-scan0046.jpg

They looked nice but the body was heavy and it was rather gutless.
I find the pre-selector gearbox quite OK once one gets used to it. I prefer the Cotal version as used by Delahaye.
In the same picture is the Blue/Black DB 18 saloon and also the Lanchester straight eight
A side view of a Barker Special Sports 2 1/2 litre
Daimlers in India-daimlerbarkerdb18specialsport.jpg

Last edited by theMAG : 1st April 2008 at 23:58. Reason: User request
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2008, 19:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Please submit any more Daimler photos available? What about including all the Lanchester pictures as well?
I think we should include Lanchester as well - after all, much of the same Daimler blood ran through their veins!

Including pictures of the Mysore 1947 Daimler Royale (?) showing the Maharaja and Queen Elizabeth during Her Majesty's 1961 visit to India (source: The Hindu Images) . This is probably the same car that is in the Bhogilal collection

Daimlers in India-mysore-daimler-1947-royale-maybe-elizabeth.jpg

Name:  Mysore Daimler 1947 Royale maybe Elizabeth Emblem on Door.jpg
Views: 12157
Size:  24.0 KB
Old 30th March 2008, 20:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Including pictures of the Mysore 1947 Daimler Royale (?) showing the Maharaja and Queen Elizabeth during Her Majesty's 1961 visit to India (source: The Hindu Images) . This is probably the same car that is in the Bhogilal collection
Certainly looks like it. I remember it being featured years back by BSM.

EDIT: BSM also covered this Daimler as part of the Bhogilal collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-bhogilal19.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2008 at 22:21.
Old 30th March 2008, 23:37   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone want to see pictures of a stunning Daimler Double Six convertible coupe?

Rejoice in the fact that such a car has survived in India albeit in a not so happy condition, until I obtain the owner's permission to post

Also I have pictures of the massive Daimler with Mr. Sanghi (again I don't know if its okay to post pictures here from his collection)

Wish I could take a leaf out of the (Chinese?) book on the art of copyright infringement and invasion of privacy

BTW Awini Manvendra Singh's book has pictures of Seth Hukumchand's gold plated daimler. The last I enquired about the car I was told it had lost a door to thieves!!

Last edited by DKG : 30th March 2008 at 23:39.
Old 31st March 2008, 06:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Does anyone want to see pictures of a stunning Daimler Double Six convertible coupe?

Rejoice in the fact that such a car has survived in India albeit in a not so happy condition, until I obtain the owner's permission to post

Also I have pictures of the massive Daimler with Mr. Sanghi (again I don't know if its okay to post pictures here from his collection)

Wish I could take a leaf out of the (Chinese?) book on the art of copyright infringement and invasion of privacy

BTW Awini Manvendra Singh's book has pictures of Seth Hukumchand's gold plated daimler. The last I enquired about the car I was told it had lost a door to thieves!!
Yes I am sure we are all indescribably interested, go on DKG take a walk on the wild side and post them ...and all the other photos you have...
Nothing happens
Old 31st March 2008, 10:40   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 1920 Daimler 6-30 sleeve valve Barker limousine de Ville
If this car came from Hyderabad its former owner was Raja Dhanrajgir
Old 31st March 2008, 13:42   #12
BHPian

Name rings a bell, I wasn't involved in the purchase. I think there was a story that it was an ex-Nizam car originally but there are so many stories... It probably wasn't.
Old 31st March 2008, 13:49   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Name rings a bell, I wasn't involved in the purchase. I think there was a story that it was an ex-Nizam car originally but there are so many stories... It probably wasn't.
Raja Dhanrajgir was an immensely wealthy man, Dhanraj Mahal next to the Gateway of India in Bombay was built by him. Apart from this Daimler which was primarily used by his mother, he had a gorgeous 1936 Packard Super 8 convertible sedan by Dietrich, a lovely RR, two Cadillacs, a Horsch, a Pontiac and a LHD Chrysler Windsor. In view of his wealth I seriously doubt if any were purchased second hand

My father clearly recalls, as a young kid in the thirties, seeing this Daimler visit our home with the lady

Of all the cars only the Daimler and the Packard were retained till late seventies in Hyderabad and the Windsor in Bombay. The Packard and Daimler were sold together while the Windsor probably remains in Bombay. I have slide pictures of the Daimler rotting out in the palace compound, will take some pictures from slides and post here for the record

Last edited by DKG : 31st March 2008 at 14:01.
Old 31st March 2008, 17:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I have slide pictures of the Daimler rotting out in the palace compound, will take some pictures from slides and post here for the record
I would love to see them

This is what I have

And while we're here, another picture of one of the Bharatpur Daimler 6-45hps
This picture saying it had a body by Maythorn.

Moderator's note: Images deleted per user request

Last edited by theMAG : 21st May 2008 at 22:15.
Old 31st March 2008, 23:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would love to see them
This is what I have
Attachment 4832
Attachment 4833
Attachment 4834
Attachment 4835

And while we're here, another picture of one of the Bharatpur Daimler 6-45hps
This picture saying it had a body by Maythorn.
Attachment 4826
Image from
Daimler and Lanchester An Illustrated History by Tony Freeman
Great photos, Julian! Do you have positive confirmation that these were Bharatpur cars ? Something (gut feel!) tells me that these may be Nawanagar (who had a penchant for Daimler / Lanchester). Most of the Bharatpur cars I have known about have been RR. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks