Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 16:25   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Here goes the picture of Rajasthan registered car from Sanghi collection displayed at Bhopal in 2002...isnt this a 120...

This is the other Reo "Self Shifter" model in India, as the first automatics were called. Trying to trace a third which existed but now disappeared. Colour scheme of these cars is surprisingly similar.
Since these are the only 2 known Reo's at present, am not thinking to start a new thread. Maybe one or two will surface, but unlikely more.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Miscellaneous other cars in India-reo.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2009, 07:51   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
From the records of Mercedes-Benz sales in the UK :

1935 June; Mercedes-Benz 500K Cabriolet B Engine No.113634 Commission No. 201700 (It says Maharajah of "Bravancur" but could it be Travancore?)

1937 July; Mercedes-Benz 540K; (Body style not recorded) Engine No.154068 Commission No. 238673 H. H. Nawab of Bahawlpur

1937 July; Mercedes-Benz 540K Cabriolet A; Engine No. 154081; Commission No. 232198; Maharajah of Indore.
Here are some pictures of YET ANOTHER fabulous Holkar car. Recently shown at the 2009 Ault Park Concours (Cincinatti, OH) and owned by James Patterson

Miscellaneous other cars in India-holkar-540k-chassis-232198-frt-3q.jpg

Miscellaneous other cars in India-holkar-540k-chassis-232198-chassis-plate.jpg

Miscellaneous other cars in India-holkar-540k-chassis-232198-writeup.jpg

Miscellaneous other cars in India-holkar-540k-chassis-232198-writeup3.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 20th September 2009 at 08:00.
Old 20th September 2009, 10:48   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here are some pictures of YET ANOTHER fabulous Holkar car. Recently shown at the 2009 Ault Park Concours (Cincinatti, OH) and owned by James Patterson
Spectacular! What terrific proportions and grace for a car of this size.

Any idea when the car went out? Any old photos of the car in India?
Old 20th September 2009, 12:37   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
If I am not mistaken, this Merc was offered for sale in Hemmings for USDLR 1 Million, about 8 to 10 years ago.

In the post Julian is quoted about a 500K of Travancore. Well, that car did exist in Travancore and was destroyed by the Maharaja himself with failed modification.

harit
Old 20th September 2009, 13:21   #200
Senior - BHPian

So that is the fabled Holkar 540 K that I had heard so much about but never seen. Was this the original colour or was the car actually white as it has been said somewhere here.

What is the story behind this cars departure from India and when was it.

Anothre very curious thing I have been looking for a explanation is the fact that why did the Holkars actually sell these cars. Going by what I know they were the most advanced ruling family with excellent tastes in cars so why did they not hang on to these cars instead of selling them off within a year or two of ownership.

This trend can be confirmed by the tales of the Duesenberg, various Bentleys, theis Merc and countless other cars like the Alfas and the Bugattis.
Old 20th September 2009, 17:50   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
If I am not mistaken, this Merc was offered for sale in Hemmings for USDLR 1 Million, about 8 to 10 years ago.

In the post Julian is quoted about a 500K of Travancore. Well, that car did exist in Travancore and was destroyed by the Maharaja himself with failed modification.

harit
Attached is another photo (courtesy Topfoto.co.uk) of what I believe is the same car. You can see it is dated 1999/2000 and on the back wall behind the car is a Sotheby's sign. Presumably taken at an auction preview! Hemmings may have carried an ad for the auction.

It looks silverish then. The last photo previously attached (description)says the car was restored to original (do not know if that meant original color too)

Miscellaneous other cars in India-holkar-540k-chassis-232198-topfoto2.jpg

Harit, any more info or pictures on the "Bravancur" / Travancore car ? I have heard lofty stories of Cochin having a 540K, but nothing in Travancore.
Old 15th July 2013, 07:22   #202
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Miscellaneous other cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is the other Reo "Self Shifter" model in India, as the first automatics were called. Trying to trace a third which existed but now disappeared. Colour scheme of these cars is surprisingly similar.
Since these are the only 2 known Reo's at present, am not thinking to start a new thread. Maybe one or two will surface, but unlikely more.
Cheers harit

Is this the third Reo which you were trying to recollect? There was one car in Bangalore which was restored by the late K C Ashwath many moons back, I guess this is the same car.

Miscellaneous other cars in India-img_20130201_140802.jpg

Miscellaneous other cars in India-img_20130201_140953.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 08:38   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

Is this the third Reo which you were trying to recollect? There was one car in Bangalore which was restored by the late K C Ashwath many moons back, I guess this is the same car.

Cheers

KPS
Nope this is the Ex Bombay / Hubli car

Cheers
Old 15th July 2013, 11:01   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Is this the third Reo which you were trying to recollect? ...........was restored by the late K C Ashwath .......Cheers
KPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Nope this is the Ex Bombay / Hubli car Cheers
The car went from Hubli to be restored by Mr. Ashwath, then it was sold to Goa, and now sold on again.

Cheers harit
Old 28th August 2014, 18:38   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Indian elephants have small ears? African elephants have large ears, these seem to be in between....but where?

Attachment 66851
photo Andrew Blake
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Thats what you call Elephant power . The place seems to be a Ruined palace or Haveli and a great picture too. Elephants were used prominently in the South East Asian region to pull heavy loads. My guess would be India or Thailand.
So here I am quoting a post from november 2008.
The picture is from Hamburg, Germany.

Find below the article containing the very same picture
http://www.holocaustianity.com/zoo-bombing.html

cheers
Kartik
Old 17th February 2016, 11:44   #206
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Any pics of the red Ferrari 400i that has been discussed in the previous pages?

Also, IIRC the 365 2+2 GTB was bought by Adi Dubash and then sold to a certain gentleman called Mr.Noorani.

While the 400i was bought by Mr.Ross from the Italian Embassy and was later sold to Dhruv Sharma.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (both the cars are very confusing indeed).

EDIT: My bad, I got confused between 400i and 365GT4 2+2. Re-read the previous posts again, no more confusion now.

Last edited by //M : 17th February 2016 at 11:58.
Old 9th April 2016, 23:18   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is the same Ferrari in the Vijay Mallaya collection? He also has a red 308 in his Mumbai collection but I am not sure if it was bought new.
Mallya's car is a 328 and not 308.
Old 9th April 2016, 23:49   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Indian elephants have small ears? African elephants have large ears, these seem to be in between....but where?

Attachment 66851
photo Andrew Blake
Julian, am seeing your post after a full eight years have elapsed.

The elephants from the family Elephantidae are classified into two species viz. the African and the Asian elephants (sub species Sri Lankan, Sumatran and so on).

As you have rightly pointed the African species have larger ears and a different morphology that is illustrated here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant

The Asian elephants had reached the zenith of their evolution cycle during the Siwalik times ( 15 to 2.0 million years ago) and the Siwalik fossil park in Saketi, Himachal Pradesh, India, has a bountiful of such replicas of the rich mammalian species that inhabited the region and many parts of the Indian subcontinent including Nepal. Nepal has some commemorative postage stamps of the mammals of these times. In fact, for many mammalian species this period represented the highest level of evolution due to the very conducive climate and vegetation that aided their growth. And the Ice Age took the toll of many of these species, who succumbed to the climatic extreme. The mammalian species that came after the Ice Age were a bit dwarfed.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=Si...il+park+saketi

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th April 2016 at 23:50.
Old 3rd August 2016, 02:28   #209
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this car a couple of months ago - but not sure of the brand/model. Can someone identify it?

Miscellaneous other cars in India-picsart_080302.28.09.jpg
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 05:55   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Saw this car a couple of months ago - but not sure of the brand/model. Can someone identify it?

Attachment 1537511
It is a Ford Cortina Mk2. This car is getting rare
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks