Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 21:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Great thread. I also read somewhere that Ford was officially selling cars (probably imported) until independence in '47, although they were coming in until '53-'54. But why is it that we find handly any of these in vintage collections?
Old 8th April 2008, 22:29   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Baby Hindustan was in essence the Morris Minor. I not sure if it was ever badged a "baby hindustan" as Ive never seen one.
I have, but just once. It had a wider windscreen, like the Minor 1000 (could be an alteration?) and the 'owner' claimed it to be a '55 model. No pics. I'm afraid.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I have, but just once. It had a wider windscreen, like the Minor 1000 (could be an alteration?) and the 'owner' claimed it to be a '55 model. No pics. I'm afraid.
Now that you refresh my memory, I recall it being a Morris 1000 body shell with the side valve engine. A friend owns one, let me check with him.
Old 9th April 2008, 01:40   #19
BHPian

Historyman

Karlosdeville. A big thank you. Certainly not lazy! You clearly went to a lot of trouble. The Aug 97 issue of the Auto India magazine is very useful. I’ve already reviewed all that you sent and I’m currently extracting all the key facts, etc. Thanks also for the Baby Hindustan info.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:43   #20
BHPian

Hstoryman

Hi Vintagepoint5. The info you sent me regarding PAL, HM, M&M, Standard Motor and Ashok is much appreciated. I think I’ve nearly completed my Hindustan research. When I start on the next manufacturer I’ll happily let you have any info I come across.
Old 9th April 2008, 23:39   #21
BHPian

Historyman

I’ve produced the first draft of the Standard Motor Company story for my carhistory4u.com web site. Comments are especially welcome. Stanher – I’m told you know the history of this company very well.

In 1949 (or 1948?) the Union Motor Company reached an agreement with Standard Motors (UK) and by about 1950 they started to assemble 2088 cc Vanguard cars.

By the early 1950s locally produced parts were being fitted

The company’s named was changed in (WHEN?) to Standard Motor Products of India. STAMPRO OR SMPIL?

In 1955 the company introduced the 803 cc Standard 8 model and shortly afterwards the 948 cc Standard 10, which was a larger engine version of the model 8. How many of each were made? What was their hp?

The Pennant model, a restyled Standard 10, was produced between 1959 and mid 1961. An estate version called the Companion was also available. Was the Companion produced in India until late 1962?

In early 1962 the 948 cc, two-door Standard (Triumph) Herald was introduced in India, replacing the Model 10 and the Pennant.

Locally produced fuel gauges, speedos and amp meters were utilised from 1963 and by 1964 the engine, gearbox and axle were manufactured locally.

In 1966 the Mark 2 version was introduced, followed shortly afterwards by the Mark 3 (in what year?).

Between 1969 and 1970 a few station wagon models, called the Standard Herald Mark 3 Companion, were produced.

Was a 4-door Standard Herald model produced prior to the Gazel?

Note: Standard Motors of UK acquired Triumph in 1944. In 1961 Leyland Motors acquired Standard Triumph, who in turn became part of the newly formed British Leyland in 1968.

In 1970 Standard Motor’s agreement with British Leyland ended.

How many Standard Herald cars were made between 1962 and 1970? Is that when production of the Herald ceased?

Between 1971 and 1977 the company produced the 948 cc, four-door Gazel, the first car designed in India. Is that important statement correct? What hp, how many made? A 5-door estate version was also supplied.

Car production resumed in 1985 when the company launched the Standard 2000, a rebadged British Leyland Rover SD1 fitted with a modified 1991 cc Standard Vanguard engine. Was a 2061 cc 85 hp engine also fitted?

Production of this model ceased in 1987. Or 1988?
Old 10th April 2008, 09:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you see this? It should be of help.

Indian Standards
Old 10th April 2008, 09:50   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyman View Post
I’ve produced the first draft of the Standard Motor Company story for my carhistory4u.com web site. Comments are especially welcome. Stanher – I’m told you know the history of this company very well.
I do know fairly well about it, 'glad to help you out where I can.

Quote:
In 1949 (or 1948?) the Union Motor Company reached an agreement with Standard Motors (UK) and by about 1950 they started to assemble 2088 cc Vanguard cars.
The company’s named was changed in (WHEN?) to Standard Motor Products of India. STAMPRO OR SMPIL?
It was officially changed to STAMPRO (I'm afraid I dont know exactly when either) although going by my memory, everyone I found talking about this co. calls it simply "Standard Motors" rather than STAMPRO.

Quote:
In 1955 the company introduced the 803 cc Standard 8 model and shortly afterwards the 948 cc Standard 10, which was a larger engine version of the model 8. How many of each were made? What was their hp?
Again I'm afraid its a big question mark to us as well as to how many were made- only those intimately associated with STAMPRO could know (if at all any of them are still around)
If only we had an ex-factory employee here like Behram Dhabhar who was with PAL.
HP: The 948cc would be 10 hp?

Quote:
Was the Companion produced in India until late 1962?
Yes, thats what I was told.

Quote:
In early 1962 the 948 cc, two-door Standard (Triumph) Herald was introduced in India, replacing the Model 10 and the Pennant.
Actually the Herald was introduced in December 1960 itself, I have pics. of one such car that was among the first 100 Heralds introduced in India, still owned by the first owner!
However, the Pennant remained in production until 1961 and strangely the Companion was available simultaneously with the Herald until 1962!

Quote:
In 1966 the Mark 2 version was introduced, followed shortly afterwards by the Mark 3 (in what year?).
Was a 4-door Standard Herald model produced prior to the Gazel?
Yes, thats what was badged the Mark 3, introduced in late '67 or '68. And its station-wagon sibling was the mark 3 Companion, made only for a year (1970) if I got it right.

Quote:
How many Standard Herald cars were made between 1962 and 1970? Is that when production of the Herald ceased?
Yes, it definitely was until 1971 at the most, ending with the mark 3.
Again, no data on exactly how many were produced.
Ironically speaking, I reckon they should be easier to count now, since sadly so few exist!

Quote:
Between 1971 and 1977 the company produced the 948 cc, four-door Gazel, the first car designed in India. Is that important statement correct? What hp, how many made? A 5-door estate version was also supplied.
Yes your right on the manufacturing dates. HP = 10 (same 948cc engine)

And yes there was an estate version also, but again sold not too well.

Quote:
Car production resumed in 1985 when the company launched the Standard 2000, a rebadged British Leyland Rover SD1 fitted with a modified 1991 cc Standard Vanguard engine. Was a 2061 cc 85 hp engine also fitted?
Production of this model ceased in 1987. Or 1988?
I leanrt from various sources that the co. ceased operating in 1987, although I guess some cars from that year would've sold on until 1988.
'not sure about the 2061cc version though. I'm only familiar with the Vanguard-derived engine.
Old 10th April 2008, 12:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyman View Post
The Pennant model, a restyled Standard 10, was produced between 1959 and mid 1961. An estate version called the Companion was also available. Was the Companion produced in India until late 1962?
Small note here, as I met a gentleman who bought a Companion brand new in mid 63. Perhaps it could be left over stock.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:18   #25
BHPian

First Gasoline Automobile Exported to India

I have an old photograph - reverse side stamped by Dept. of Public Relations, General Motors, N.Y. showing an Oldsmobile with Mr. Rustam Cama and his family seated on the vehicle.

As of now i cannot post the scan since the picture is framed.

Type written script pasted on the reverse mentions - "This automobile arrived with the first shipment of gasoline automobiles to reach India, In 1898 R.E. Olds exported three of his famous curved-dash models to Bombay. The first of these cars was sold to Jamsetji Tata, the great industrialist, and the second sale was made to Mr. Rustam Cama, a prominent solicitor. This photograph shows Mr. Cama and family viewing the new vehicle."

Hand written markings - 1890 - 1900, 1898

There is however no mention of the third vehicle or its owner.
farhan_kidwai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2008, 13:33   #26
BHPian

Historyman

Convertible – Thanks for the correction. I’ll delete the entry “It was one of India’s first rear wheel drive cars”. It came from the Hindustan Contessa’s Wikipedia entry.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:00   #27
BHPian

Historyman

Mpower. I’d not picked up on Fords association with India. After many hours of research on the internet a few nights ago all I managed to uncover was that a Model A Ford was brought into India in 1930 (and that there were 1025cars in Bombay in 1910!!).

I wonder if the 1930 Model A was the first one in India? I think that someone in India has produced a book on Fords involvement there.

Does anyone have any info on Ford’s activity in India prior to 1954 (when I believe they withdrew from the Indian market)?
Old 11th April 2008, 15:22   #28
BHPian

historyman

farham kidwai - excellent/great Oldsmobile info, just the sort of proof historians dream of! The names tie up with my info. I have the third car being sold to a Kavasji Wadia in Bombay. Thanks for your help. Much appeciated.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:58   #29
BHPian

Dear Karl,
Companions were produced until late 63

I can give you all these info because I was part of the group. Mr.Kartiknarayan MD of Stanpro is known to me well. If you are keen I shall ask him the details

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th April 2008 at 23:02. Reason: Posts Merged.
Old 11th April 2008, 17:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
I can give you all these info because I was part of the group. Mr.Kartiknarayan MD of Stanpro is known to me well. If you are keen I shall ask him the details
You mean C V Karthik Narayan, right?? Incidentally, I read somewhere that he is also the SIL of Gopalakrishnan, the founder MD of STAMPRO!!!
MY gawd!! I didnt know someone from the owners' family is still around in Chennai! (I heard from other sources that the whole family migrated to the US after the co.'s closure!)

This is absoultely UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I'd badly wanted to visit the STAMPRO factory at vandaloor when I visited madras a few years ago! But none could help me out then!! IF only I'd known you earlier!!!!!!

DO ask him AS MANY DETAILS about the cars/factory as possible!! Esp. for old photos of the factory as well if you could get your hands on them!!

I shall be hounding you Sir, until you fulfill my 'humble' request!!

Most Viewed