Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 17:58   #496
BHPian

Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is nice picture, can you please let us know the details behind this picture. Is this in India? Was it a family car?
Just curious.

Cheers harit
Harit sir,
Dont know much abt this photo or car. got forwarded thro email. car is meant to have been in travancore area
long ago
Old 13th July 2013, 20:46   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Indeed it is a Mercedes Benz of the 1930s, maybe 230 or 320. Appears to be Landaulette, very nice. Any history behind this photo? Any more details?
I dont know whether this is the photo of the same car.I have information that there was 1936 230 Landaulette in Trivandrum in the eighties.It had come from Bombay owned by a defence employee and was lying in a workshop located just adjacent to Hotel Luciya. The workshop was shifted in the mid eighties to somewhere near the Beach area and the mechanics name was Joseph(hearsay!).It was there till the mid nineties.What happened later is a matter of conjecture.Some say it got rusted and later scrapped.
ajay99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 02:44   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I dont know whether this is the photo of the same car.I have information that there was 1936 230 Landaulette in Trivandrum in the eighties.It had come from Bombay owned by a defence employee and was lying in a workshop located just adjacent to Hotel Luciya. The workshop was shifted in the mid eighties to somewhere near the Beach area and the mechanics name was Joseph(hearsay!).It was there till the mid nineties.What happened later is a matter of conjecture.Some say it got rusted and later scrapped.
I have seen that car Ajay, thought it belonged to the late Mr. Madhavan Tampi (husband of actress Ragini). I could be entirely wrong.
He used to own what is now "Bank House" next to Trivandrum Club; and I have seen an "old" Mercedes peek out from his garage - from the distant vantage point of a Loyola School Bus window!

Kishorelal, Wow, that is an amazing Mercedes you posted. A long time ago, I had posted a picture of the Cochin Nethiyaramma (Maharani) with what I thought was a 320 Pullman Limousine. This picture was taken in Trivandrum. On a historical note, I believe she was "exiled" to Switzerland for her anti-British sentiments and activities!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post784454

Including both pictures below for comparison. I do notice that the door trim upholstery panel lines / wood trim below rear window, wheel covers and location of the jack cutouts on the running boards are different.

The Cochin car is RHD, the other appears to be LHD

Name:  Cochin Maharani Mercedes 320.bmp
Views: 1977
Size:  268.2 KB

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-travancor-cochin-mercedes-320.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 14th July 2013 at 03:02.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 10:06   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
I have seen that car Ajay, thought it belonged to the late Mr. Madhavan Tampi (husband of actress Ragini). I could be entirely wrong.
He used to own what is now "Bank House" next to Trivandrum Club; and I have seen an "old" Mercedes peek out from his garage - from the distant vantage point of a Loyola School Bus window!

Kishorelal, Wow, that is an amazing Mercedes you posted. A long time ago, I had posted a picture of the Cochin Nethiyaramma (Maharani) with what I thought was a 320 Pullman Limousine. This picture was taken in Trivandrum. On a historical note, I believe she was "exiled" to Switzerland for her anti-British sentiments and activities!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post784454

Including both pictures below for comparison. I do notice that the door trim upholstery panel lines / wood trim below rear window, wheel covers and location of the jack cutouts on the running boards are different.

The Cochin car is RHD, the other appears to be LHD

Attachment 1110018

Attachment 1110019
You are right .This is definitely not the cochin mharanis car. when did you see the Madhavan thampis mercedes in the BANK house ?Assume it must be in the early sixties.Because Bank house became the HQ of the state home department decades ago.By the way have you seen the 230 merc in the workshop near Luciya?
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 12:59   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Which car is this ? Is it a Benz?
This particular car belonged to a well know automobile enthusiast of Trivandrum . He is no more but his son is also an avid collector of mostly classic and modern bikes. He has a red beetle in his collection . Ajay, you know who I am talking about . This picture is posted on his face book page along with his other pictures of his collection . Many years ago I had seen the copy of the old registration certificate of this particular car with this gentleman . I was told this was sold to someone in Mumbai .
peeve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 13:49   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeve View Post
This particular car belonged to a well know automobile enthusiast of Trivandrum . He is no more but his son is also an avid collector of mostly classic and modern bikes. He has a red beetle in his collection . Ajay, you know who I am talking about . This picture is posted on his face book page along with his other pictures of his collection . Many years ago I had seen the copy of the old registration certificate of this particular car with this gentleman . I was told this was sold to someone in Mumbai .
I very well know whom you are referring to ,then it is very likely that the car in the photo posted by kishore could very well be Madhavan thampis car and not the car which came from Mumbai to Trivandrum in the eighties
Old 14th July 2013, 15:26   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
That is correct. That old Merc was there with Mr. Thampi and latter sold by his latter spouse to a Army Officer (who was in Pangode at that time (either in late 1970s or in early 80s if I remember correctly). Then it was a longtime resident in the workshop in East Fort as rightly mentioned by Ajay.

OT

Mr Madhavan Thanmpi's house - The house to the right of original "Dilkush" nee Kerala Police HQ is now the HQ of Trivandrum Development Authority - TRIDA and some Town Planner's offices.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 14th July 2013 at 15:28.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 18:24   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are right .This is definitely not the cochin mharanis car. when did you see the Madhavan thampis mercedes in the BANK house ?Assume it must be in the early sixties.Because Bank house became the HQ of the state home department decades ago.By the way have you seen the 230 merc in the workshop near Luciya?
The Bank House only went to the Bank in the mid to late seventies - I have seen the car there upto the early / mid seventies; and then at the Garage (which my memory says was almost across the street from Luciya).

"Dilkush Mahal" as Ram correctly points out, was "given" to the State for a nominal sum in the 1940's..........I should know, but that is another story!
We now live in "Dilkush", since it is not a mansion to be called "Mahal".

Next time you pass by the Police H.Q., see if you can make out the initials on the railings in the upper verandah (most of it probably has been sheeted over now).
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 18:49   #504
Senior - BHPian

Things are more clear now. Thampis merc was a 230 and it was sold to a defence officer (was not he in AIR FORCE??) and was the one in the workshop near luciya and later went with the workshop near the beach.Now only 2 queries remain.
1.Is this the car which was bought by the guy who has been referred by PEEVEE(easy info obtainable by him)?
2.If not what happened to the said car ( provided it did not rust to pieces as some claim)?
P.S: Wasnt the workshop on the same side of the road as LUCIYA ,which was owned by the K P(read automotive dealers) family and later a hotel run by Haneefa functioned??
Old 15th July 2013, 11:03   #505
Senior - BHPian

Srini and his father (not the journalist, the Merc guy) honoured me with a visit to my office many years ago (about 15 years) and we spoke about this Mercedes. But a few years later it had disappeared.

Cheers harit
Old 16th July 2013, 13:57   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Srini and his father (not the journalist, the Merc guy) honoured me with a visit to my office many years ago (about 15 years) and we spoke about this Mercedes. But a few years later it had disappeared.

Cheers harit
I assume you are mentioning about the Allahabad origin Ponton owner and his son Srini the banker.if so Srini was eagerly enquiring about this merc about 9 years ago.
Old 18th July 2013, 20:26   #507
Senior - BHPian

Saw this old photo on the net.It is from Travancore era
Which is the car?
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-09.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 21:16   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this old photo on the net.It is from Travancore era
Which is the car?
Guess is wolseley !

Experts please identify
Old 18th July 2013, 23:40   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post

Guess is wolseley !

Experts please identify
May be my observation will narrow it down :

1 . It is a large left hand drive car which indicates that is is an American make.
2 . It appears to have wheels with wooden spokes, electric head lamps and passengers in twenties attire, therefore, mid 20s .
3 . Before the 1929 crash, there were many makes other than the big names, most did not survive. I much deeper research is called for.
Old 19th July 2013, 00:00   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post

May be my observation will narrow it down :

1 . It is a large left hand drive car which indicates that is is an American make.
2 . It appears to have wheels with wooden spokes, electric head lamps and passengers in twenties attire, therefore, mid 20s .
3 . Before the 1929 crash, there were many makes other than the big names, most did not survive. I much deeper research is called for.
This can be a pierce arrow also but yes how it missed my observation that it was a left hand drive car . Attached a right hand drive image . But will dig tomorrow

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-image1037659478.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks