Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 21:05   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
This big vintage Austin is now acquired by Sulaiman Ali Khan in Hyderabad. What's the model?
It is an Austin Torpedo. The car has a 1479 cc engine,in all probability. Here are images of one that is located here.

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc06856.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc06853.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc06854.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc06855.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc06857.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc06858.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 10:25   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
It is an Austin Torpedo. The car has a 1479 cc engine]
An Austin TORPEDO??

More likely anAustin JOKE edo
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 11:24   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
It is an Austin Torpedo. ......
Torpedo's cause trouble, see the sad result with the submarine at Mumbai harbour. This Torpedo got smacked by a Lancia from behind and the Lancia left its rear behind.
Another way of looking at this is that this car came out from a TinTin comic book, actually no, TinTin cars were faaaar superior in rendering.
This Torpedo actually, Torpedoed itself just standing there, it is a like Noddy car produced on an Austin chassis somewhere in North India.
Its like the Gucci stuff you find with street vendors.

Sulaiman Ali Khan's in Hyderabad is a large tourer, can be done nicely and will be a genuine car.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 13:30   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Maybe a 12 or 16 ! What is the engine in it a six or four cylinder and wher eis it from. Is it AP regestered

This Austin is a 20/4 tourer according to experts overseas, from 1919-1926 possibly... Yes, it has an APX numbr.
Old 18th September 2013, 13:41   #530
BHPian

Quote:
This Austin is a 20/4 tourer according to experts overseas, from 1919-1926 possibly... Yes, it has an APX numbr.
Exactly! I was going to post that last night, when I saw the 'Torpedo' and took evasive action!! A torpedo filled with laughing gas!

It is an Austin 20/4 tourer - although it has some indications of a 16 as well.
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 14:15   #531
BHPian

Sulaiman Ali Khan's Austin is the one shown here in the adverts & photos, the mysterious "Austin Torpedo" can be the same. Whilst appreciating the effort and dedication, i must express that deviations during restoration took this "Austin Torpedo" poles apart from its original form, shape and specs...it can be re-done though... Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-t2ec16dzee9s3y8sbr40rgtvlg60_3.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-a20tourerad.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-200511.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-1922_austin_twenty_5732970529.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-aaaaa.jpg  

Vintage Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 22:45   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sulaiman Ali Khan's Austin is the one shown here in the adverts & photos, the mysterious "Austin Torpedo" can be the same. Whilst appreciating the effort and dedication, i must express that deviations during restoration took this "Austin Torpedo" poles apart from its original form, shape and specs...it can be re-done though... Cheers!
Thanks for locating how the car must have originally looked like.

The engine is not a 1479 cc at all, as pointed out by me earlier, but a larger one - this must have been a Super Austin.

Austins came as the people's car and also as such premium models. Austin started out in 1907 with a 30 hp car. The Sixteen Westminster, Sixteen Carlton, Twenty Mayfair, Eighteen Norfolk are some of the other larger Austins.The Sheerline, a much later model is another example of Austin level opulence.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th September 2013 at 22:58.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 00:02   #533

Hi,

I am posting this here after reading the topic (Moderators, kindly remove if posted in the wrong thread). So here goes...

Some time in 1993 when packing to move into our new home, we came across a bunch of old "The Illustrated Weekly of India". My grandfather had subscribed to the magazine and stored almost all the subscription. It was mostly for the period roughly between 1960 to 1975.

While browsing through these magazines, I came across an article about a car. Today, my memory is a bit hazy on the article, but this is what I remember:
> The article was from the 1960's and location mentioned was Mysore
> The article was about a car that was either custom built in India or modifications were done to a stock car
> The car looked like the 1960's Cadillacs with long hood and boot, no B-pillar, tailfins (but of the muted variety)
> The rear tail lamp, I remember, were rectangular. The lamp started from the rear edge and angled inside, away from the rear bumper and then straightened ( I was trying to draw a picture the whole evening but could not come-up with anything convincing!). From top, it would look like one half of a hexagon
> It had a chrome, semi-circular horn ring (is that what it is called?) on the steering. Cant remember RHD or LHD
> For some reason it was called the 'Ashok' or 'Ashoka' , not entirely sure about this though

I know that this is a shot in the dark, but for a long time I believed that the car was designed and built in India. But if this were true, then it would have found some mention some where on the internet. I have found none to date.

I even wrote to the Times of India group some years back to get accesses to their archives. I am yet to hear from them and neither did I do a follow-up.

Unfortunately, all the magazines were sold to some raddiwala!

I know that the details with me are not very helpful, but if any one knows anything, kindly share.
Old 20th October 2013, 10:01   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshmumn View Post
Hi,

Some time in 1993 when packing to move into our new home, we came across a bunch of old "The Illustrated Weekly of India". My grandfather had subscribed to the magazine and stored almost all the subscription. It was mostly for the period roughly between 1960 to 1975.

While browsing through these magazines, I came across an article about a car.

I know that this is a shot in the dark, but for a long time I believed that the car was designed and built in India. But if this were true, then it would have found some mention some where on the internet. I have found none to date.

I know that the details with me are not very helpful, but if any one knows anything, kindly share.
Ask, and you shall receive

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post2047159 (History of Cars in India)
karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 21:35   #535
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2013 at 16:13.
FINTAIL is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:30   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

A few old cars in Ranchi were posted here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3272240 (Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India)

Behind the blue Standard we see a late 40s American car being restored (hopefully). It looks rather stylish/upmarket - what could it be? A Cadillac?

Name:  00.gif
Views: 3559
Size:  126.9 KB

Note the kink in the rear side window - it matches with 49 fastback Caddys, but they already had fins by then. Plus this appears to be a 4 door.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:42   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Behind the blue Standard we see a late 40s American car being restored (hopefully). It looks rather stylish/upmarket - what could it be? A Cadillac?

Note the kink in the rear side window - it matches with 49 fastback Caddys, but they already had fins by then. Plus this appears to be a 4 door.
It's certainly a GM B-platform product. Looks more like an Oldsmobile deluxe sedan to me - from the Futuramic series (76/78/88/98 series). Thin chance of being a Caddy series 62 on the outside.
Prabal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:03   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few old cars in Ranchi were posted here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3272240 (Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India)

Attachment 1155931

Looks like a Packard Clipper (1947 ??), I may be wrong though. Also it appears to have only 2 doors.

BTW did someone read the description of this pic (visit the link) It says Ford is a British brand & the said car was manufactured in the year 1901

Last edited by samsag12 : 22nd October 2013 at 19:13.
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:25   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few old cars in Ranchi were posted here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3272240 (Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India) Behind the blue Standard we see a late 40s American car being restored (hopefully). It looks rather stylish/upmarket - what could it be? A Cadillac? Note the kink in the rear side window - it matches with 49 fastback Caddys, but they already had fins by then. Plus this appears to be a 4 door.
I will go with Prabal it's a 1947 Oldsmobile sedan and not a two door. If you zoom thru the rear window you can make out the length and three sets of glasses and an A pillar . The rear light socket hole Dia is small for the light of a Cadillac of that era and the clipper had no hole but has a rectangular punch in which a housing fits with light sockets etc . This makes it an Oldsmobile only especially with the fastback shape that they had and like many sedans we have in india Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-image2017793583.jpg Lights Oldsmobile Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-image729916793.jpg Packard Light Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 23rd October 2013 at 07:43.
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:03   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
I will go with Prabal it's a 1947 Oldsmobile sedan and not a two door. If you zoom thru the rear window you can make out the length and three sets of glasses and an A pillar . The rear light socket hole Dia is small for the light of a Cadillac of that era and the clipper had no hole but has a rectangular punch in which a housing fits with light sockets etc . This makes it an Oldsmobile only especially with the fastback shape that they had and like many sedans we have in india Cheers
From the 'kink' in the C pillar, the car is probably not a 1947 Oldsmobile since they didn't have a model with this forward kink in '47. The kink came in 1949 but Oldsmobile had these on their 2 door coupes. What matches is the 1949 Pontiac Streamliner series which not only had this kink but also small circular tail lamps like the Olds and 4 doors to go with it. Good looking car nonetheless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks