Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:16   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
From the 'kink' in the C pillar, the car is probably not a 1947 Oldsmobile since they didn't have a model with this forward kink in '47. The kink came in 1949 but Oldsmobile had these on their 2 door coupes. What matches is the 1949 Pontiac Streamliner series which not only had this kink but also small circular tail lamps like the Olds and 4 doors to go with it. Good looking car nonetheless.
But the '49s again had these small vestigial fins - absent on the car in question. It is definitely a 4 door. I'm intrigued!
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:38   #542
BHPian

Quote:
From the 'kink' in the C pillar, the car is probably not a 1947 Oldsmobile since they didn't have a model with this forward kink in '47. The kink came in 1949 but Oldsmobile had these on their 2 door coupes. What matches is the 1949 Pontiac Streamliner series which not only had this kink but also small circular tail lamps like the Olds and 4 doors to go with it. Good looking car nonetheless.
Right you are Karl, didn't see that. On searching again, I'm nearly certain that it's a 1949 Chevrolet Deluxe Fastback. The rear fenders are nearly flush and rounded and the cut for the tail lamp also seems to be at the correct height.

Cheers
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:03   #543
BHPian

It certainly is not pontiac . The rear fender is sloping down whereas Pontiac fender were more pronounced and had round tai lights at the edge . The most distinct feature of Pontiac was the chrome stripes on the hood and the trunk. These are not present nor is there any evidence of these having been removed for restoration . No visible holes on the center of the trunk where the chrome would likely be. The photo is of a poor quality. However, a door handle is visible below the rear window, which confirms that this is a four door model. The shape of the rear window does indicate a reverse quarter panel glass. But the shape of the trunk lid , the pronounced bulge is not indicative of a fastback . So, what is it ? One wonders if this is a Canadian made GM car. We know that cars that came from Canada have , in many cases, differed from the US made models, whether Ford , GM or Chrysler. Chrysler products shared rear body shape but had different front grills, GM had its own variations and so did Ford. The Trunk remind me of 46-47 Buick but the side glass with reverse quarter panel rules that out ! I have Googled all over but am still lost. We need our friend
Harit's help
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:17   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
I have Googled all over but am still lost.
No need to be lost any longer. mbz180 has id-ed it bang on! It is indeed a Chevrolet Deluxe Fastback! I have finally gone to Google baba, and availed of his divine enlightenment!

Quote:
On searching again, I'm nearly certain that it's a 1949 Chevrolet Deluxe Fastback. The rear fenders are nearly flush and rounded and the cut for the tail lamp also seems to be at the correct height.
Which also makes me quite pleased with myself for saying this below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
It's certainly a GM B-platform product. Looks more like an Oldsmobile deluxe sedan to me - from the Futuramic series (76/78/88/98 series). Thin chance of being a Caddy series 62 on the outside.
The Chevy Fastback is indeed one of the offsprings of the GM B-platform programme! Btw, here's an Oldsmobile 78 'Futuramic' Deluxe Sedan too - 4 door to boot!! And C-pillar-kinky too! (Did Mr. Hoffmeister practise his art here, before settling in Bavaria?!)

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=%2...%3B1600%3B1200

- quite similar to the Chevy Fastback, but for the tail lights being more towards the outside, and the rear bumper, esp the over-rider (compared to the Jharkhand car, as is partially visible) being variant. The Chevy Fastback it is then!

Btw, the dashboard of the car (as can be seen in the 'dark') align with both a Chevy as well as Olds. And, it's a LHD. Canadian off-shoots for exports were generally RHD!
Prabal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:06   #545
Senior - BHPian

This one is tough, and I don't know if I am correct as the car is partially dismantled. In my opinion, it is a Chevrolet Aerosedan, a fastback.
We are quite sure that it is a GM product. There are hardly any GM fastbacks in India in terms of a Buick or Cadillac Sedanette, or a Pontaic Streamliner, the only ones seen are a handful of Chevrolet Aerosedans. Hence the conclusion. These were available in 1948 1949 and 1950 with similar rear side windows and rear ends, the front face changing for the year. For 1947 the rear side window was different. All look similar to the unknown car, the side strip below the rear side window on the right matches that of the unknown car. Since parts are removed and are loose, and the angle of the shot is also not good with some parts covered, I can't figure out the year for sure. Have a look at the pictures below. There is a Chevy Aerosedan lying in Nashik, I believe there is atleast one more in central India, maybe this is the one.
Does anyone know of any other GM Fastbacks in India of any make (Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet, Pontiac or Oldsmobile) of any year 1946 to 1950? Please compare the pictures below, all taken from the net.

The unknown car
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-unknown-fastback.jpg

Chevy 1948
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-chevy-1948.jpg

Chevy 1949
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-chevy-1949.jpg

Checy 1950
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-chevy-1950.jpg

Lets hear some more.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 23rd October 2013 at 14:17.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:17   #546
BHPian

Harit,

Study the lines/contours of the trunk. None of the pictures you posted match.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:34   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Harit,

Study the lines/contours of the trunk. None of the pictures you posted match.
Please have a relook at the picture of the 1949 model. I think that it matches, please allow for some distortion due to work done on the work before, and the fact that the dicky lid is loosely placed, casting a shadow on the body.
Matching are
1) The side strip below the rear side window.
2) Hight of the rear panel on which the dicky would rest
3) Outline of the rear window.

But Bulldoji's comment made me look closer and blow up the picture really big. Now I am sure that it is a 1949 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe 4-door.
So now I had a closer look, I saw the rear door handle, and the channel for the quarter glass after the rear door. Its still a rare car in India, would have been more desirable if it was a 2-door.

For comparison, see these pictures taken from the net, a 4-door and a 2-door sedan. Very similar, na?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-chevy-deluxe.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-chevy-1949.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2013, 22:10   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Please have a relook at the picture of the 1949 model. I think that it matches, please allow for some distortion due to work done on the work before, and the fact that the dicky lid is loosely placed, casting a shadow on the body.
Matching are

But Bulldoji's comment made me look closer and blow up the picture really big. Now I am sure that it is a 1949 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe 4-door.
So now I had a closer look, I saw the rear door handle, and the channel for the quarter glass after the rear door. Its still a rare car in India, would have been more desirable if it was a 2-door.

For comparison, see these pictures taken from the net, a 4-door and a 2-door sedan. Very similar, na?

Cheers harit
Somehow, I am still not convinced.

Look at the side of the trunk lid where it meets the fender. Thevpictures posted by you Harit have a distinct flatness, not visible in the mystery car.

Also , the hump of the trunk seems more pronounced in the Mystery car.

BUT, I could be mistaken, eyes are not as they should be
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:56   #549
BHPian

Photo of green 49 Chevy Fleetline 4 door has similiarity with the relic in question. However the slope of the roof line does not match the hump of the trunk lid. Question is why the trunk lid is detached at the top where the hinges are. Is it possible that an attempt is being made to band -aid a trunk lid from a Buick on to this car ? The rectangular tail light hole agrees with the 4 door Fleetline , too. As to car being rare, India is full of rare cars and, who knows when and how a 1949 Chevrolet Fleetine 4 door ended up in the country. This model is so rare even in the US.
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 00:59   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Photo of green 49 Chevy Fleetline 4 door has similiarity with the relic in question. However the slope of the roof line does not match the hump of the trunk lid. Question is why the trunk lid is detached at the top where the hinges are. Is it possible that an attempt is being made to band -aid a trunk lid from a Buick on to this car ? The rectangular tail light hole agrees with the 4 door Fleetline , too. As to car being rare, India is full of rare cars and, who knows when and how a 1949 Chevrolet Fleetine 4 door ended up in the country. This model is so rare even in the US.
This is a chevy and if i am not mistaken it is a two door. It belongs to jaiswal family. Abhisake jaiswal has 15 to 20 cars and there are some rare cars in his collection like 170v mercedes roadster and fiat early model. He has an in house setup, restoring.
Old 24th October 2013, 07:49   #551
BHPian

Quote:
The late film star, Dev Anand, owned one. In his autobiography, Romancing the Life, there is a picture of Dev Anand in a green Triumph, BMZ 5840, waving to his wife, Kalpana Kartik, as he leaves for work. I recall the story in an issue of Filmfare in the 60s. This green Triumph is discussed in the book as well. The fold -down rear window, the two handles to open the trunk are visible. I will try to scan the photo for a posting. May be a photo is available from Filmfare archives ?
I knew I had stored this and now I found it ! Here it is - Green car !
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dev_anand_green_triumph.jpg  

Old 24th October 2013, 09:45   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Matching are

So now I had a closer look, I saw the rear door handle, and the channel for the quarter glass after the rear door.
Cheers harit
Haritji, we both came to the same conclusion. Aerosedan was the specific model type name for 2 door sedans, even for Pontiac. The mystery car is a 4 door going by the rear door handle and should therefore be a 1949 Chevy Fleetline sedan just like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Somehow, I am still not convinced.

Look at the side of the trunk lid where it meets the fender. Thevpictures posted by you Harit have a distinct flatness, not visible in the mystery car.

Also , the hump of the trunk seems more pronounced in the Mystery car.

BUT, I could be mistaken, eyes are not as they should be
From what I can gauge in the photo of the mystery car, due to the coat of primer, poor resolution, lack of reflection etc. etc. certain contours are highlighted and others subdued making the car appear different to what it is.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure it's a Chevy.

(I wish it were a Mercury though)
Old 28th December 2013, 20:48   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Matching are

Cheers harit
Is this also the same? But the rear windows are split..
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-001_23.jpg  

Old 28th December 2013, 20:56   #554
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This one is tough, and I don't know if I am correct as the car is partially dismantled. In my opinion, it is a Chevrolet Aerosedan, a fastback.
We are quite sure that it is a GM product. There are hardly any GM fastbacks in India in terms of a Buick or Cadillac Sedanette, or a Pontaic Streamliner, the only ones seen are a handful of Chevrolet Aerosedans. Hence the conclusion. These were available in 1948 1949 and 1950 with similar rear side windows and rear ends, the front face changing for the year. For 1947 the rear side window was different. All look similar to the unknown car, the side strip below the rear side window on the right matches that of the unknown car. Since parts are removed and are loose, and the angle of the shot is also not good with some parts covered, I can't figure out the year for sure. Have a look at the pictures below. There is a Chevy Aerosedan lying in Nashik, I believe there is atleast one more in central India, maybe this is the one.
Does anyone know of any other GM Fastbacks in India of any make (Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet, Pontiac or Oldsmobile) of any year 1946 to 1950? Please compare the pictures below, all taken from the net.

Cheers harit
Sir, as you rightly said, that car is a 4-door 1949 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe.

Last edited by //M : 28th December 2013 at 21:04.
Old 30th December 2013, 10:47   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Is this also the same? But the rear windows are split..
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-image2622730130.jpg

This is a1939 Lincoln Zephyr fast back 4 dr sedan
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks