Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:17   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill murray View Post
There is no doubt that it has the Dodge "Ram" hood ornament and Dodge badging on the side of the motor hood.

However, the front wings are definitely of the 1939 Plymouth design, quite different from other Chrysler products of that year.

Another example, I think, of "badge engineering" practiced by a lot of US makers in the 1930's up through the 1960's on export markets.
Hi Bill, yup, quite likely that it was built for export only. I would think that for this period the cars were Canadian built.

Dodge continued to build Plymouths with a Dodge front clip in the form of the Kingsway from around 1953 to 1956. Similarly also badged DeSoto, besides the Plymouth itself.
Old 4th August 2014, 02:44   #587

Thanks for your response, Karlos and I am honoured that my first post was answered by someone with your credentials on this Forum.

I have tried to find a way to PM or Email you to get some guidance on how to proceed on trying to contribute to this Forum but have not found a way to do it.

Can you PM/or Email me at mostoysinc@aol.com to give me some advice.

Bill
bill murray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:07   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill murray View Post
Thanks for your response, Karlos and I am honoured that my first post was answered by someone with your credentials on this Forum.

I have tried to find a way to PM or Email you to get some guidance on how to proceed on trying to contribute to this Forum but have not found a way to do it.

Can you PM/or Email me at mostoysinc@aol.com to give me some advice.

Bill
Thank you for the kind words Bill, though there are many stalwarts on the forum for whom the praise would be more befitting

To begin with do go through the announcements section and rules to acclimatise yourself with posting styles.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announcements/

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...e-posting.html

There are such a large number of threads on Team BHP's vintage section that navigation can be a bit of a bother, though the search function usually works very well. An email to you shall follow soon. Happy motoring.
Old 5th August 2014, 20:37   #589
Senior - BHPian

MODS please repost in appropriate thread and help!

Classic car so old owner has no idea what make or model it is could sell for £160,000 at auction!
Top speed is 35mph and has hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock!
Been in the family of its current 'careful lady owner' since 1908!
There are no surviving documents to confirm make and model of the car
It's still taken to the local shops once a week to this day
By AMANDA WILLIAMS
PUBLISHED: 10:04 GMT, 22 October 2013 | UPDATED: 10:47 GMT, 22 October 2013

The top speed is 35mph, there are hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock, and the body is so old it is not clear what make it actually is.
But this rusty runabout - which has been in the family of its current lady owner since 1908 - looks set to fetch £160,000 when it is sold at auction.
It may sound like the patter of a seasoned salesman, but this mystery car is still taken to the local shops once a week by its owner, who fires the car up by winding a crank handle.
There are no surviving documents to confirm what the make and model of the car are - and the original owner is long dead.
But the vehicle has been in constant use for the past 110 years, with a full MOT and service history, and according to auction house Bonhams 'still goes like a dream'.
Experts believe the primitive car may be a hybrid of a British Regal engine and a chassis and axle from a French manufacturers.
Despite its dubious origin the vehicle has been well looked after and in good working order, with a top speed of 35mph.
Rob Hubbard, of auctioneers Bonhams, said: 'This car has been in the same ownership since 1908 but we really can't say for sure what the car is, which is awkward.
'What can be said with conviction is that the car retains its original engine made by Regal, which was a small manufacturer in the UK of engines and motorcars.
'Regal often bought European made kits, assembled them and sold them as Regals.
'In the 1950s the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain identified the chassis and axle as being a Lacoste et Battmann which we believe this car to be.
'The car retains its original chassis, engine, body and upholstery and comes from exceptional long term family ownership.
'I would say there are a few hundred thousand miles on the clock. If you consider it has been in constant use for 110 years - even if it drove 5,000 miles a year, it would still be considerable.
'But it still comes with a v5 document, hand written notes on how to start it, and it has been MOTd every year.'
It is believed the motor was originally owned by the editor of The Times newspaper in 1903 and was regularly driven from London to Dover.
Dr Dudley Bernhardt then bought it in June 1908 for 36 pounds and later handed it down to his son, who was photographed in it when he was a young boy.
Mr Bernhardt junior drove it at car rallies, including the famous London to Brighton run.
Mr Hubbard said: 'It has always been drivable, from 1903 right up to now, it has been used every year and has never been off the road.
'Its current owner retired to the Isle of Man about 10 years ago and took the car with her.
'She still uses it to drive to the local shops and back.
'But she hasn't got any siblings or other family to pass it on to and think it is about time to sell it.'
The car is being sold by Bonhams on November 1.
Do you know what this car is? Call the MailOnline on 0203 6151783

link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz39WwPPcuD
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-105-7.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-105-6.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-105-5.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-105-4.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-105-3.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-105-2.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-105-1.jpg  

vinay kamath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 10:31   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Its unidentifiable to ME so am posting it here.....spotted in saket.
Looks like a 1948 Chevrolet to me.

Bill Wilkman
USA
Old 31st August 2014, 12:02   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend recently shared this image of a junking little car, possibly in the south. It looks very familiar, but I cannot positively identify at the moment. Either its German like a Lloyd or Japanese like a Mazda or Subaru.

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_9903.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 16:41   #592
Senior - BHPian

Its a 61/62 Mitsubishi 500, pretty rare car. I think this should be the first Mitsubishi car in the country. As per Wiki it was exported in very small numbers, so it is rare for sure. Is it being restored?
agspins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 21:43   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k arlosdeville View Post
A friend recently shared this image of a junking little car, possibly in the south. It looks very familiar, but I cannot positively identify at the moment. Either its German like a Lloyd or Japanese like a Mazda or Subaru.

Attachment 1280604
Interesting - Has this been saved !

Cheers
Old 8th September 2014, 12:49   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Any clues as to what this beauty is? Very handsome car, registration is Pune. The photo came from Nashik, though it wasn't necessarily shot there.
Its been years since I first posted this picture in the hope it will be identified. We have all learnt a lot since then, hoping some of our experts can positively identify this car this time.

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-unident.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 13:51   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Its been years since I first posted this picture in the hope it will be identified. We have all learnt a lot since then, hoping some of our experts can positively identify this car this time.
Hopefully the experts will now let us know exactly what it is. In the meantime, may I venture a suggestion that maybe it's an early 30s (maybe late 20s, more like 30s though) Standard Avon? A 9 OR 10 HP, or a Special.
Old 14th September 2014, 14:26   #596
BHPian

It looks as though it is in fact a "special" built on a early English chassis ,judging by the size of the hubs on the front axle and what appears to be a lack of front brakes.. or very small drums .

Last edited by Star man : 14th September 2014 at 14:30.
Old 19th November 2014, 21:00   #597
Senior - BHPian

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-kashmir-licence-plates-1960s.jpg

A late fifties American. Very evident by the rather fluid fintails. Registration is Jammu & Kashmir. Note the Ambassador taxies behind. Quite likely this pic was taken in the early/mid 'Sixties. I would say 1965.

Original link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3584288

Going by the trim present, it is quite likely to be lower/mid variant.

Hey Yank! Who art thou?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 19th November 2014 at 21:03.
Old 19th November 2014, 21:24   #598
Senior - BHPian

1959 Plymouth Fury ...what fins

Cheers

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416412435.849484.jpg
kasli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 23:34   #599
BHPian

As tourism developed in India, Taxi operators turned to STC for foreign made Impalas and MBs for upscale luxury taxis under the DLZ plates (in Delhi) . To augment the growing need for larger cars for not only Delhi tourist business but also elsewhere ,several hundred Plymouth Savoy were imported for India tourism Development Corpn in1960 for ( ITDC) to be used as luxury taxis. A bunch of them were used in Delhi under DLZ plates. Many were sent to various states , again as upper class taxis. These Plymouths were all two tone blue. In Delhi, larger imported cars had white plates with black DLZ numbers and the smaller domestic Ambys had DLY numbers. The photo shows such a car with J & K plate. These Plymouth cars all had the famous slant six engine and manual transmissions. A few years later , 1964 , another lot of Dodge Polara were imported and used as DLZ taxis in Delhi and other states as well. These Dodge Polara were all metallic tan. These cars saw good service as taxis as well state cars ( for ministers !). The import of American cars ended as the choice shifted to MBs and other Europoean, Japanese and Australian makes.
priyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 07:11   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
As tourism developed in India, Taxi operators turned to STC for foreign made Impalas and MBs for upscale luxury taxis under the DLZ plates (in Delhi) . To augment the growing need for larger cars for not only Delhi tourist business but also elsewhere ,several hundred Plymouth Savoy were imported for India tourism Development Corpn in1960 for ( ITDC) to be used as luxury taxis. A bunch of them were used in Delhi under DLZ plates. Many were sent to various states , again as upper class taxis. These Plymouths were all two tone blue. .
Maybe this is one of them ? Posted previously by KPS, thanks to Ajay99

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3208015

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-plumouth-apy6066.jpg

And another one here:

http://www.59sportfury.net/showcase/ashram.html

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-plymouth-brp101.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 21st November 2014 at 07:23.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks