Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2009, 07:23   #61
Senior - BHPian

Didnt know there was a Bajaj 150. I thought there was Bajaj Chetak, Bajaj Super and Cub.
Old 24th January 2009, 21:57   #62
BHPian

Unidentified beauty

I was driving in Delhi and spotted this beauty near the AIIMS flyover.
She was being driven by a sikh gentleman and is a left hand drive..
I'm sorry my friend sitting with me couldn't click very clear pictures.
Thought I should share whatever I got with you guys..

Sugam.
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-image005.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-image006.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-image007.jpg  

sugam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2009, 23:32   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Didnt know there was a Bajaj 150. I thought there was Bajaj Chetak, Bajaj Super and Cub.
it was only the Bajaj 150 from 1971 onwards till the Super replaced it. The Chetak was too rare and used to cost some 700 US $ initially. In 1987 it cost US $ 1400 or so. The dollar was valued at Rs 7 (till the late 1970's)and later Rs 10 per dollar till the Rupee's devaluation in 1991 to Rs 35 per $.After the demand for the Chetak became less in foreign markets most of the production catered to the Indian needs since the late 1980's.
There was a court case in a US court by Piaggio versus Bajaj Auto for selling the Chetak in the US market despite a clause prohibiting Bajaj from marketing it in any world market where Vespas were sold.Bajaj lost the case. Or else, The Time magazine from New York carried Chetak advertisements in colour for many years in the 1970's and early 1980's.
So till the Chetak( late 1980's)and Cub (1987) came along it was the Bajaj 150- Super and also the Priya based on the Bajaj 150 body.
In fact the moment the Super was introduced,Bajaj sold the Bajaj 150 toolings to Maharashtra Scooters (Govt of Mah enterprise) and the new scooter was named Priya.
Old 26th January 2009, 15:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
I was driving in Delhi and spotted this beauty near the AIIMS flyover.
She was being driven by a sikh gentleman and is a left hand drive..
I'm sorry my friend sitting with me couldn't click very clear pictures.
Thought I should share whatever I got with you guys..

Sugam.
Hi, this is an Oldsmobile of the late 1950's, was lying in Bihar and available for about 1.5L in he mid 1990's. I did not buy and the next thing I see is that she landed up near the Taj/Ambassador Hotel in Delhi not too far away from Pragati Maidan. Whom she belonged to I do not knw but I saw her there covered up. Nearby was a Ferrari sedan.
The car now looks very nice and huge, at that time there was something wrong with the rear bumper, probably corroded. Probably one of its kind in India!
Old 26th January 2009, 19:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
I was driving in Delhi and spotted this beauty near the AIIMS flyover. She was being driven by a sikh gentleman and is a left hand drive....Sugam.
Here're pix of the car at yesterday's HMCI JayPee Greens Delhi-Greater Noida rally. She's a 1959 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 and a beauty. The owner is a Sikh gentleman (his old-time driver is one too, it's him you saw taking her through the paces for the drive) and has a particular affinity for American classics. He has one of the most impressive collection of them - both in number as well as quality - although he could put in some work on himself, behavioually. Like when somebody is hosting you (irrespective of the fact that it starts at a nice 5-star hotel with free breakfast by the pool and later in the day at a lovely retreat with great food served again) you appreciate the fare on offer whether it's to your liking or not and not come to the dining table, with your plate served from the idli-dosa-upma buffet spread commenting, "Oh no, no ham n bacon n eggs? I'm not used to this!" I tell you, some of the folks of this "V&C Collectors'" community ... they are so vain and full of pretenses. Anyway, enough.

Sorry I've had to downsize the pix as I need the high-res for other purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi, this is an Oldsmobile of the late 1950's, was lying in Bihar and available for about 1.5L in he mid 1990's. I did not buy and the next thing I see is that she landed up near the Taj/Ambassador Hotel in Delhi not too far away from Pragati Maidan. Whom she belonged to I do not knw but I saw her there covered up. Nearby was a Ferrari sedan.
The car now looks very nice and huge, at that time there was something wrong with the rear bumper, probably corroded. Probably one of its kind in India!
I used to see an Olds Dynamic 88 in the driveway of a bungalow near Claridges Hotel (which is close to Taj Mansingh) more than a decade ago. She had just come to Delhi, bought by this very gentleman and parked at that place since it belonged (and still does) to a relative of his and he had already outgrown his own house with his burgeoning collection. I had forgotten all about her until yesterday. Now, I remember the colour then to be metallic blue and white, while this now is metallic turquoise/bluish-green and cream. His driver told me yesterday that they have a 'similar', but in a state of disrepair, '62 blue and white Olds in the collection too. Now this shape of the Olds Dynamic 88 remained till 1960 as far as I know. So either the second one is a '60 model and the one that I used to see all those years back or is actually a '62 of a different shape and this one is that on the driveway, in new colours, or maybe...this, maybe ... that.
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-1959-old-88-dynamic-back.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-1959-old-88-dynamic-lftfrnt.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-1959-old-88-dynamic-rtfrnt.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-1959-old-88-dynamic-rtrear.jpg  

Last edited by Prabal : 26th January 2009 at 19:19.
Prabal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2009, 22:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Its unidentifiable to ME so am posting it here.....spotted in saket.
The two-tone beige and brown four door appears to be a Chevrolet, 1946, 47, or 48. Without the grill its difficult to tell. The 46 grill outside chrome was continuous around the horizontal bars, the 47 grill, open horizontal bars, and 48 same as 47 but with the addition of a vertical center crome rib. I vaguely remember the less expensive model was named "master" and the more expensive one "fleetmaster". With no chrome trim on the sides I would go with the less expensive. This car was equipped with a 216 cubic inch, babbitted rod-bearing engine with three speed all-synchromesh transmission with shift lever on the steering column. If it was a 46, it would have had a vacuum-assisted shift, rather than mechanical. Love to read your blogs; I greet you from the shadows of Zion Park in Southern Utah.
noonrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2009, 01:29   #67
BHPian

My small contribution to this amazing thread, spotted this vintage beauty on the outer ring road followed with the porsche cayenne in m.g.road today and this modified car, i guess it should be the old model zen that was still been modified.
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc00026.jpg  

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dsc00025.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 27th January 2009 at 02:11.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
spotted this vintage beauty on the outer ring road
OVRM spoiling the view. The Wheel cap reads Humber. Did ya notice?

1947 Humber Hawk?

Last edited by gendarmee : 27th January 2009 at 18:39.
Old 28th January 2009, 14:00   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Actually those days use of sole foreign brand names were discouraged by the Govt. But Lambretta,Vespa,Jawa, Fiat and Standard defy this contention and were incorporated at times (early 1950's till 1960) when the going was not so rough. Also the Indian -foreign partner used to have equity stakes, where it was mandatory for the Indian company to have a greater stake as compared to the foreign collaborator so as to stay dominant in the company. Hence Pearl was the Indian company (never heard about it later) which made these mopeds with a Yamaha collaboration.
The hangover continued even until the 1990's so we have Rajdoot RD350 (Yamaha was nowhere in the original bike in 1984),DCM Daewoo,DCM Toyota (for mini- trucks in the early 1980's),PAL Peugeot,Swaraj Mazda and so on.
Today 100% equity investment by a foreign company to make automobiles is allowed and Hyundai MIL, Yamaha,Honda Motor and Scooters India Ltd,are living examples.
thanks anjan , so "pearl" was the indian partner. wonder what happened to them ? where was the plant etc ?
Old 28th January 2009, 19:53   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
thanks anjan , so "pearl" was the indian partner. wonder what happened to them ? where was the plant etc ?
Yes, it was Pearl and as I put it in another post the plant was located somewhere in Tamil Nadu. Nothing more is known about it fate after it closed down.
But as we may guess, the Japanese are very shrewd about transfer of technology and perhaps the mandatory indigenisation phase wise, as per the then Govt norms may have taken its toll.The Pearl Yamahas were largely assembled from CKD kits, as these appeared to have a superb fit and finish.
Those days in the mid-1960's Nissan collaborated with the Heavy Vehicle Factory, Jabalpur (under the Ministry of Defence) and two Nissan Motors, Japan, models viz. the petrol driven Nissan 1.5 tonne mini truck and the petrol driven 4WD Jonga Patrol UV, were produced at this factory for use by our forces. The technology was transferred and the vehicles were largely indigenised of late.
Old 28th January 2009, 21:11   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
TBHPians,

I'm starting the thread for identifying the correct models for the vintage/classic automobiles.

start with, here is a Yamaha moped (year of mfg. not known) for your assistance in identification. I'm planning to buy this bike.
I believe the Pearl Yamaha was offered in 50 and 75 cc capacity with the 50 cc having an automatic clutch.
Old 29th January 2009, 22:34   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
I believe the Pearl Yamaha was offered in 50 and 75 cc capacity with the 50 cc having an automatic clutch.
No it was a 65 cc only sans a clutch and with 3 gears on the left foot.
Old 31st January 2009, 19:32   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

A junked black Pearl Yamaha spotted today. The front handlebar assembly with the axle and headlight unit has been swapped for a 100 cc bike fork to give it that kinda look. Also a weird petrol tank has been fixed up ( a cut and paste job) to make it look wacky.The original engine, gearbox, chassis, rear mudguard and the body panels however remain.The cooling fins on the engine were light years ahead, for the moped launched in 1965.
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-sonycamv-2222.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-sonycamv-2223.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-sonycamv-2224.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-sonycamv-2225.jpg
Would Humbly Request Mods to Put All The Pearl Yamaha Texts And Pictures in a Separate Thread As The OFF TOPIC Discussion on This Moped is Reaching Higher Peaks With The Interest Shown By Fellow Team BHPians Here.
Old 5th February 2009, 23:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

which is this covered car ??
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-pic284..jpg  

Old 6th February 2009, 09:27   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
which is this covered car ??
Enough details are not visible to be sure, but I would guess that is a Citroen Traction Avant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks