Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 10:42   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Spotted these Vintage cars near BRT (Saket) today.
The second one i guess is chevy bellair '57/58 model
Old 10th March 2009, 15:47   #92

Chennai Triumph

Is the Triumph standing at Vivek Chandrasekar's lot near Teynampet?
Old 11th March 2009, 23:46   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Karlos,

The car is in a mumbai suburb,the engine has most probably been replaced with diesel one and the car was running around till some 10-12 years back. I do not have a direct contact with the owner hence no idea about the papers or other details.

Sanat,
That was owned by a Crazy chap probably still is. I went to see it a few years ago and it had a diesel Mercedes engine. The original he said was lying with him. It also had Mercedes meters. There was also a Ford A which was parked in junk condition which he proclaimed to be Mahatma Gandhi's car. I have heard that the Ford is not there now and the Chrysler Royale is deteriorating.

If it is of any interest to anyone, there is an identical Royale for sale in Mumbai and is is in fantastic condition. No its not this one at all.
Old 12th March 2009, 00:06   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
It was, but not for sale.
It's a Triumph 1300:

Triumph 1300 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 20th March 2009, 17:02   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

This car used to be parked on the Mahim-Worli-Bandra Road around the mid 1990's.Though not very original, it was a rare make,I believe.
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-worli-vintgcar.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2009, 17:05   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This car used to be parked on the Mahim-Worli-Bandra Road around the mid 1990's.Though not very original, it was a rare make,I believe.
Attachment 113979
Wow, I wonder if she lives to tell her tale. Car is Pune registered. Any more pics?

My guess is an early Citroen perhaps.
Old 20th March 2009, 17:31   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That would be my guess as well.

Karl, when I was in school there was a similar early citroen tourer in the lane next to Kamla Nehru Park (prabhat/ Bhandarkar road). It was a dull medium blue with black wings. Any idea where it is now?

Aditya
Old 20th March 2009, 17:47   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
That would be my guess as well.

Karl, when I was in school there was a similar early citroen tourer in the lane next to Kamla Nehru Park (prabhat/ Bhandarkar road). It was a dull medium blue with black wings. Any idea where it is now?

Aditya
There was a Traction Avant lying stripped in a bungalow on Prabhat road, right opposite is the MASA office, I was told they are relatives. Another MASA official has a similar early car, BYF 2072 if I remember right, green with black wings, recently restored. Shreeram had posted pics elsewhere.
Old 20th March 2009, 17:50   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wow, I wonder if she lives to tell her tale. Car is Pune registered. Any more pics?

No Karl I just clicked one picture as the car looked different but not original.It neither looked like a Model A and nor a Chevrolet which were popular in the early 1930's.As you say it could be a Citreon. Will look up the encyclopedia and post. Yes its BYF from Pune! I am sure harit will be able to tell more about the car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th March 2009 at 18:00.
Old 20th March 2009, 18:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is indeed a Citroen. This belongs/belonged to an Irani family running a popular bakery on Worli and i have seen some really flamboyant colours on it. Red & Black to Metallic Green and Silver to Copper and Gold , etc, etc. I presume the car was made available for shootings and thats where these original colours were derived.

Used to chat with the old Irani Uncle over a slice of Plum cake (still available and still the best i have tasted) which he handed out free to kids and the like (discontinued now).
It was a family heirloom i believe but sadly, after the old man passed away a few years ago, it seems to have been either sold or retired to some other resting place
Old 21st March 2009, 11:36   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Yes it is indeed a Citroen. This belongs/belonged to an Irani family running a popular bakery on Worli and i have seen some really flamboyant colours on it. Red & Black to Metallic Green and Silver to Copper and Gold , etc, etc. I presume the car was made available for shootings and thats where these original colours were derived.

Used to chat with the old Irani Uncle over a slice of Plum cake (still available and still the best i have tasted) which he handed out free to kids and the like (discontinued now).
It was a family heirloom i believe but sadly, after the old man passed away a few years ago, it seems to have been either sold or retired to some other resting place
Sirjee, finally gotcha with a tale!!

This Citroen is of about 1926. It belonged to the driving school fellows just a few shops after the bakery, not the bakery.
In the mid 1990's I went there on a sunday and spent time with the old gentleman. The Citroen was silver in colour and was kept inside the shop. I used to see her daily on my way to office. He told me that the car came from a Parsi gentleman in Pune. He had modified the wheels because the correct tyre size was no longer available. And he no longer had the rims.

Then looking around the premises, he had another chassis of a Bantam, complete except for the head. I discussed with Solanki, he having the other Bantam in Mumbai and he told me that that car was originally an open tourer and belonged to a Parsi wrestler or body builder with a name something like Adrian Sandow? Anyhow, in those days all driving schools were required to have a complete chassis on display. Solanki bought the chassis, took some parts in his car, the rest came on a handcart. Later they called back the handcart, sold the parts to chor bazar and did not compensate Solanki.

Subsequently this driving school went on an expansion mode, driven by the next generation and an office was made. So the Citroen came out on the street. Then they painted her red and black. She was seen in some song video also. Then she was sent to Vasu at Worlinaka for repair, all wood work replaced with metal, horrible job. Engine gave a lot of trouble and another unit was fitted, probably Maruti, effectively killing the car.
Short story on this Citroen
Old 21st March 2009, 12:58   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

harit-Sad to read the saga of this car that used to be parked prominently to the south of Worli, on the main road. I knew you will be able to say about it authoritatively. One just could'nt miss a glimpse of the car those days as it stood out among the Premiers and Marutis parked along with.
Old 21st March 2009, 17:02   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Subsequently this driving school went on an expansion mode, driven by the next generation and an office was made. So the Citroen came out on the street. Then they painted her red and black. She was seen in some song video also. Then she was sent to Vasu at Worlinaka for repair, all wood work replaced with metal, horrible job. Engine gave a lot of trouble and another unit was fitted, probably Maruti, effectively killing the car.
Short story on this Citroen
How unfortunate, I would think the car is far more collectable/desirable than say a Chevy tourer or Model A. What is the current status? Is she still with them, or gone to that big junkyard in the sky?
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:37   #104
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure a lot of bhpians out here will be able to spot this one !
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-pict0208.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2009, 23:56   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

'appears to be a Morris 8, with a modified grille.

Most Viewed