Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 13:50   #31
Team-BHP Support

Some images that I came across online of track races at Barrackpore.

Source: Barrackpore

Can't miss Vijay Mallya's F1 car sponsored by Dipy.

There's also the Calcutta built Q'Marri race car. And a regular sight at races - Fiat's.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-theyre-off.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-big-one.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-danger-zone.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-fiat-lineup.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-finish.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-getting-booted.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-honeynrvkchknbindraror.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-my-face.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-way.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-line-up.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-niaz.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-pitted-out.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-pulling.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-qmarri.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-ravi.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-scuffle.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-shell.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-shiel-telling-me-fo.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-shiel.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-sneal-peek.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-speedkings.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-start.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-tail-down.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-zip.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th May 2010 at 14:09.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 21:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karl - reference your post no 22

Some information on MAS1251 - this was Kantilal Bhanushali's second Premier Padmini car. It was a 1984 model Premier Padmini Deluxe. It had holes drilled into its firewall so that the service mechanics could insert box spanners with long extensions to loosen the bell housing mounting bolts if required to replace the clutch during service halts. The brake bundy tubes were all routed inside the body to prevent breakage. He had brought the car to PAL Kurla. I remember seeing the car in front of the canteen building in 1984. It took part in the 1984 and 1985 Himalayan Rallies. I think this photograph is of 1984. The ladies are Meena Bhanushali (Kanti's sister), Nisha Sutaria who used to ride a "bobby" motorcycle in Mumbai and used to rally very regularly, Ayesha Dhunjibhoy (I think sister of Homi Dhunjibhoy of Pune) and I forget the last name but I think it was some Vakil, I think Farah Vakil but I may be wrong. The three names are correct. One of them fainted during the event, which made news and it came in the papers in Delhi. I had this article in the "Sun" magazine of 1984 for many years in my house. I think I have thrown it out now but let me search, if I find it, it will be priceless.

Kantilal Bhanushali and his cars - Kanti was a tall thin typical Gujarati guy. He had another "Verde" (blue) coloured Premier Padmini in which he took part in the 1982 Himalayan Rally. It was MMH6615. I remember driving between Ajmer and Jaipur in the dead of night in Vasant Patki's A1A modified twin carburettered 1976 model Premier Padmini MMD6300 on the way to Delhi with Kanti driving MMH6615 by my side for at least 100 kms. I clearly remember a white pickup truck with a "foreign" regiatration number and a sticker on which was written "daffy duck", which was actually Ramesh Khoda's service car overtake us in this stretch. All Kanti's cars had the numbers adding upto 9. In the MASA monsoon rally of July 1987 which was one of the wettest rallies I had ever witnessed as it rained continuously for 3 days, the rally was from Mumbai to Nasik to Pune to Roha to Mumbai. I was a scrutineer with my teacher Mr.Adi Malgham as chief scrutineer in my A1A modified twin carburettered Premier Padmini car MMY43. I distinctly remember Kanti's car MMH6651 lying on its side half submerged in water just before Roha when we reached there as I was sweeping marshal also, closing controls after the last car had passed. We rushed to help. The first thing Kanti said was "maara bappa ne nahin kehta" (don't tell my father), otherwise he will not allow me to rally next time. The guy was a complete daredevil. In the MASA night rally of 3rd January 1988, Kanti drove a gypsy for the first time (BLD something). Farad Bhathena also drove a gypsy (MFC8321). This was the start of the gypsy era. They were miles ahead of everybody else. I was a marshal near Alibag. In the MASA rally of 1989 from Mumbai to Roha to Koyna to Mahabaleshwar to Mumbai, Kanti started as no 3 in a gypsy and met with a horrific accident near Kalyan when he rammed into a Mitsubishi Canter truck head-on. The road was blocked and the rally was suspended for some time. His legs were badly fractured and trapped inside the car. I was not at the spot as I was in Roha, ahead of the rally where we stopped car nos 1 and 2. Car no 1 was Farad (MFC8321) and I think car no 2 was either Nachi Patel (MFC1560) or Dilip Desai but I am not sure. We heard that Kanti was coolly directing the welder where to cut the roll cage so that he could be pulled out. He was in hospital for almost a year. We lost contact with him after this incident but after a couple of years I heard that he had a train accident also. He also tried to drive the car, steering with his legs only. No contact after that news. He used to stay somewhere in Ghatkopar East.

I am attaching a photograph of MMY43 engine compartment as it used to be in 1989. You can see the twin carburettor set up.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-scan0005.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 19th May 2010 at 21:22. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 21:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Some images that I came across online of track races at Barrackpore.

Source: Barrackpore

Can't miss Vijay Mallya's F1 car sponsored by Dipy.

There's also the Calcutta built Q'Marri race car. And a regular sight at races - Fiat's.

The Q'Marri is still in existence and is used once in a while on sundays by the owner. You also like to know that a car called Delilah was also used at one of the race's.This car had a 1.5litre Riley engine with 4 Amal carbs , a jeep gearbox and a fiat differential and a morris minor suspension. Add a pic below of that car being raced.

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-n756340095_1770466_7273.jpg

It may also be of interest that the Citroen recently restored at our workshop was also raced at the Barrackpore races.
IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 17:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Motor Sport pre 1965

The reason for bringing this up is that I have just found some old photos taken by me at the Brabourne Stadium during the flag off at the first Himalayan Rally.

This photo is of our own t-bhpian Subodh Nath starting in a Mercedes-Benz 220S which is now considered a classic. The crew members were
Subodh D. Nath
Shrenik C. Shah
Fali M. Patel
Hemant B. Shah

We can put of more historical pictures and matter in this thread, no need to start a new thread.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-nath.jpg  

harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
........This photo is of our own t-bhpian Subodh Nath starting in a Mercedes-Benz 220S Cheers harit
Mr. Nath informed me that he finished the rally, he was a finisher in this car. One story was that the silencer was damaged, he had to weld, the welder refused because the pertol tank was near by, so he did it himself keeping the tank cool with water and wet cloth. The car sadly met with an accident subsequently, a few years after the rally.

Recently I got a set of photos covering the Four-Square Kings-IARC Motorcycle Scramble event held on June 4th 1978. It came with a list of entrants

I went through the list and found names such as Shrikant Karani, Shrikant Apte, Nisha Sutaria, Kishan Rao, Dilawar Khan. Shrikant informed me that this happened at the Raymonds factory at Thane, and that Ajaypat Singhania was a huge motor sports fan and sponsored lots of events, taking teams to Ceylon in his Safari Airways DC3. Some history here!

The set also included pictures of cars which participated in the London-Sydney Rally of 1977, pictures taken while driving through Khandala/Lonavala.

The name on the Agfa box in which these photos were placed was "Mr. Dalal", there were a few family photos including this lady. Any idea who she may be? Dadar Parsi Colony may be a clue.

These pictures awakened a lot of memories, the riders, the London-Sydney rally.

The first picture is of that anonymous lady who may provide a clue about whose pictures these were.
The second is of Shrikant Apte on his BSA. Registration matches with the list.
Third picture is Nisha Sutaria, on a Bobby bike?
Fourth and fifth pictures are some on the event, cigarettes were freely advertised.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-scr1.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-scr3jpg.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-scr4jpg.jpg  

Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-scr5jpg.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by harit : 22nd September 2012 at 17:53.
harit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 19:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

The Dalal family from whom these pictures originate has been identified, the lady is the aunt of a fellow t-bhpian. And, here is the weird co-incidence, she lived just 10 minutes away from my home.
And funnily, the family was not into motor sports, my friend felt that they had encountered the rally at Lonavala by chance and took photos.
The photos covered the bike event, in what connection were these photographed is not known.
Here is a Fiat Abarth Diesel experimental car, there were two and one crashed in Australia. Maybe Prabal will like this.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-lond.jpg  

Old 26th September 2012, 10:06   #37
BHPian

Waiting to see some nice Pics of Dolphins Beating the Hell out of Marutis..
Old 19th October 2012, 11:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Now with the Formula 1 race to be held soon in India, there is an article on this subject in the latest Auto India.
And, the TV channel ET NOW is to broadcast interviews with a few who were involved in motor sports and Formula 1 in India, some being interviewed are from Kolkata including Ravi Kumar. The first broadcast time is today, 19th October @ 6:30pm, with rebroadcasts later. Could some please watch any one of these broadcasts on the 19th and share your feedback. Can someone record it too? That would be great.

Cheers harit
Old 31st December 2012, 20:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Somehow an interest has developed for old memorabilia related to Indian Motorsport. Albums have come in, as have magazines of the 1950's and 1960's dealing with this subject. There are some racing drivers whose images are being seen by me for the first time.

Recent aquisition is an album focused on a Motorcycle racer, Nari Kapadia. He generally raced (and probably owned) a Triumph Tiger, BMX 6191. Sadly he appears to be no more, he lived in a Parsi colony in Byculla, and as far as I could find out he has a son and daughter. This image is of him on probably a Manx. And there are lots of similar images, and cars too like XK120 from soth India, XK140 coupe, MG TC's, TR3's etc. There is a big story to tell.

A piece of Motor Sport history of Mumbai

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-manx.jpg  

harit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 12:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Natives of Kolkata will be happy and annoyed to hear that the Allard J2 raced by Allan Ramsay has been located and is alive and restored(happy). It was dismantled and taken out in boxes, and lives in UK. Smuggled out of the country probably in the 1970's/1980's(annoyed). This was the car. I have photos of her in action.

Cheers harit

Sorry for back to back posts, does no one have anything to contribute to history of motorsports?
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Motor Sport pre 1965-allard.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 25th May 2013 at 12:21.
Old 25th May 2013, 14:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a Fiat Abarth Diesel experimental car, there were two and one crashed in Australia. Maybe Prabal will like this.
Yes, I do like the Fiat 131 SuperMirafiori very much! Thanks!

Btw, is that a Ford Capri behind the Fiat?

Quote:
does no one have anything to contribute to history of motorsports?
I have lots of Indian motorsports photographs in my collection, somewhere. Taken both as a spectator as well as participant. The operative word here being 'somewhere' - life has been a little scattered! Will attempt to organise it over time and share some snaps here. I'm sure I'll have pics of the Allard too.
Old 25th May 2013, 15:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
........ Btw, is that a Ford Capri behind the Fiat?

............... I'm sure I'll have pics of the Allard too.
I don't think so, not a Capri, a very good question and observation. Will see if a magnifying glass will help. Its some odd-ball car, Vauxhall, Isuzu, lets check if I can come up with it.

Your pictures are in demand!!

Cheers harit
Old 25th May 2013, 23:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think so, not a Capri, a very good question and observation. Will see if a magnifying glass will help. Its some odd-ball car, Vauxhall, Isuzu, lets check if I can come up with it.

Your pictures are in demand!!

Cheers harit
Datsun ? That's also famous
Old 26th May 2013, 02:32   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Natives of Kolkata will be happy and annoyed to hear that the Allard J2 raced by Allan Ramsay has been located and is alive and restored(happy). It was dismantled and taken out in boxes, and lives in UK. Smuggled out of the country probably in the 1970's/1980's(annoyed). This was the car. I have photos of her in action.
The Allard may have been taken to Calcutta by Jimmy Baird originally. Had a "Wizard of OZ" registration.

Jimmy also owned the Alfa Romeo Monza (Chassis 2311206), which at one point had the Bihar registration BRT-100. This car had earlier been raced in Europe and Africa; and presumably was a war trophy that fell into Allied hands.

Some interesting photos of motor sports in the Calcutta of the 1950's by Chandru Arni can be found here:

Last edited by travancore : 26th May 2013 at 02:53.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 11:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Will see if a magnifying glass will help. Its some odd-ball car, Vauxhall, Isuzu, lets check if I can come up with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Datsun ? That's also famous
From the little that I can make out on screen, could it be a Holden Torana (circa '75-'76)? Or an Opel (Kadett or Ascona) of the same period - all GM-related products, including the Vauxhalls and Isuzus.

Most Viewed