Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 14:52   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes

Last week I was stopped by a policeman in Pune driving my 1965 Amby Mk 2. The reason cited was that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

If I remember right, cars manufactured before 1994 are exempt from the seat belt rule. Does anyone have a copy of this ruling that I can keep in the car with me at all times to educate our fine police officers?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 17:29   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Last week I was stopped by a policeman in Pune driving my 1965 Amby Mk 2. The reason cited was that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

If I remember right, cars manufactured before 1994 are exempt from the seat belt rule. Does anyone have a copy of this ruling that I can keep in the car with me at all times to educate our fine police officers?
You could get a few of these tee-shirts in the meantime...

and also take a printout of the CMVR 1989 from this link (what you need is on page 133, Rule No. 125 - it's the stipulation, not exemption, mind you, but should work)

http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes-seatbelt-tee.jpg  

Prabal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 16:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

If my info is correct, all cars manufactured after 1January 2003 should be compulsorily having seat belts.
Old 7th October 2014, 18:35   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
If my info is correct, all cars manufactured after 1January 2003 should be compulsorily having seat belts.
Rear seat belts were mandated compulsory in 2002. Fitted as standard on new cars, that is. Maybe it was to be effective from 1 January 2003. That's what I can recollect now.

It's another matter that enforcement of wearing the same never happened. Parliamentarian, Mr. Gopinath Munde's accident has brought it some focus now.
Old 20th May 2016, 20:53   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Just mailed this grievance to the PMO

VINTAGE CLASSIC CARS NEED GOVT SOPS
Sir, There is need to preserve Edwardian, Veteran, Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes. The aim is to preserve our heritage as our mobile treasures of yore on wheels are becoming rarer by the years need a healing touch. Edwardians, Veterans, Vintages, Classics and New Indian/Imported Classics are duly classified and the cutoff date is 31.12.1975. Exports of all such cars and bikes needs to be banned and made a criminal offence. There are many lying in old garages, open spaces or just rusting in workshops. Many of these have accumulated road tax and insurance arrears that the owner or descendants may be unable to pay now. The taxes need to be waived off. The other cars in fine or near fine running condition need good and genuine spares that is available in the international markets. Sops need to be given to owners to get these through designated dealers. As has happened in the past history repeats and so there is a lot of scope for misuse of this proviso. Also need adequate precautions to check loopholes. All current and future road taxes on Edwardian, Veteran, Vintage and Classic cars and bikes can be waived off by the State and Union territory Govts. These rarely ply on the roads on a regular basis and waiving off the taxes will encourage owners to keep these cars. They also should be exempt from pollution tests of any kind, as their engines are neither Euro I to IV but World War I and II compliant. These are hardly used. It is the general belief that Vintage and Classic car owners are an economically privileged lot. This needs to be rethought, as even if they are privileged, ownership of an old beauty has numerous hassles to be tackled, to keep the machine roadworthy in pristine condition. The nightmares that the owners pass through to procure rarely available spares, needs to be recognized by the policy makers. Money cant buy anything that is simply not available. I hope we will soon have an Act of Parliament to save these vanishing beauties of yore. No government has taken lead in this arena but with your government taking the lead it will be a yeoman's act to save our heritages on wheels.

The acknowledgement provided by the PMO:

Your Registration Number is : PMOPG/E/2016/0167898
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:24   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

I have served notices to the four Secretaries, Govt of India (Economic Affairs, Commerce, Heavy Industry and Road Transport and Highways) on 27/06/2016 enumerating steps for the government to take to preserve vintages and classics. I have asked them to reply within 30 days from the date of receipt of the notice on corrective measures to be taken, failing which, I shall seek remedies under Art 226 and 227 of the Indian Constitution in an appropriate court of law. The points enumerated include :

(1)Framing of Rules to Declare Vintages as Heritage Property

(2) Ban on Exports of Old Cars and Bikes registered till 31.12.1975

(3)Waive off Pending Road Taxes

(4) Availability of Adequate (duty free) Imported Spares for Vintages

(5) Waive off Future Road tax and Green Tax, Pollution Tests on Vintages and Classics

(6) Liberalise Imports of Vintages and Classics Made upto 1975 from the present 1950 to replenish Lost Numbers

(7) Import of Vintages and Classics and their Sale through Designated Dealers

(8) Permission to Replace Diesel Engines of Vintages and Classics with Petrol Engines for Cleaner Emissions

(9) Recognition of Private Ownership Hassles by the Government

(10) Government’s Inability to Agree to Similar Suggestions Made by Applicant in 2009-10

(11) Hon’ble Gujarat High Court’s Observation in a Vintage car case (a favourable observation)

(12) No Government Has Done Anything Noteworthy on Vintages

(13) France has Banned pre 1997 Cars From Paris but has Exempted Vintages and Classics ( for an insight as to how favourably vintages are treated in developed democracies)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 11:00   #82
Senior - BHPian

Anjanji,
it would be nice if you can elaborate here the 11th item in your previous post.
Old 5th July 2016, 15:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

Someone needs to find out what, all our VCCCI and other associations are doing on this? We now have classic and vintage car associations nearly in every city. And some of the members are supposedly influential people!
Old 19th July 2016, 21:05   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I have served notices to the four Secretaries, Govt of India (Economic Affairs, Commerce, Heavy Industry and Road Transport and Highways) on 27/06/2016 enumerating steps for the government to take to preserve vintages and classics. I have asked them to reply within 30 days from the date of receipt of the notice on corrective measures to be taken, failing which, I shall seek remedies under Art 226 and 227 of the Indian Constitution in an appropriate court of law. The points enumerated include :

(1)Framing of Rules to Declare Vintages as Heritage Property

(2) Ban on Exports of Old Cars and Bikes registered till 31.12.1975

(3)Waive off Pending Road Taxes

(4) Availability of Adequate (duty free) Imported Spares for Vintages

(5) Waive off Future Road tax and Green Tax, Pollution Tests on Vintages and Classics

(6) Liberalise Imports of Vintages and Classics Made upto 1975 from the present 1950 to replenish Lost Numbers

(7) Import of Vintages and Classics and their Sale through Designated Dealers

(8) Permission to Replace Diesel Engines of Vintages and Classics with Petrol Engines for Cleaner Emissions

(9) Recognition of Private Ownership Hassles by the Government

(10) Government’s Inability to Agree to Similar Suggestions Made by Applicant in 2009-10

(11) Hon’ble Gujarat High Court’s Observation in a Vintage car case (a favourable observation)

(12) No Government Has Done Anything Noteworthy on Vintages

(13) France has Banned pre 1997 Cars From Paris but has Exempted Vintages and Classics ( for an insight as to how favourably vintages are treated in developed democracies)
To the above points in sl. nos. (1) to (13) a friend has suggested a very vaild point. He told me to also ask for permanent retention of the old registration number and RC and TC books of all motor vehicles registered on or before 31.12.1975.

Beileve it is a very good suggestion. I will add the point while the hearing commences, again serving notice on this matter to the government through their counsel.

I will also welcome other suggestions from friends here.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 14:47   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Shared by Dr. Anjan in a facebook group. I know news and truth are not the same thing but wasn't this supposed to be voluntary (which the article dpes not mention) rather than mandatory, as per the Minister for Transport?
Attached Thumbnails
SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes-fb_img_1481534076828.jpg  

Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 21:05   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

On the 23rd of January 2017, we as a delegation of the Cent ind Vintage Automotive Association (CIVAA) called upon Mr Nitin Gadkari, Union Transport , Highways and Shipping Minister at his Nagpur residence and submitted to him this memorandum listing the major points that ail the historic car ownership. He gave us a patient listening and assured us that he will look into the matter.

The original list with the several points as listed in the legal notice were pruned down to five important ones. We had held a few brainstorming sessions in the CIVAA General Body meetings prior to the meeting with the Union Minister.

As the local municipal elections processes were under way, he was quite pre-occupied with his party workers but nevertheless gave us a patient hearing. We plan to follow it up in future by meeting him on more occasions with the same issues.

SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes-gadkari-appln-1.jpg

SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes-gadkari-appln-2.jpg

SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes-gadkari-appln-3.jpg

SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes-gadkari-appln-4.jpg

We had decided that rather than taking recourse to the judicial remedies, this would be a better option.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 22:28   #87
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
On the 23rd of January 2017, we as a delegation of the Cent ind Vintage Automotive Association (CIVAA) called upon Mr Nitin Gadkari, Union Transport , Highways and Shipping Minister at his Nagpur residence and submitted to him this memorandum listing the major points that ail the historic car ownership. He gave us a patient listening and assured us that he will look into the matter.
Thank you CIVAA for taking this proactive step on behalf all us involved in the Historical Vehicle Movement. The use of our cars is a very important part of this passion.

We will look forward to you updates.

regards

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 23:04   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Thank you CIVAA for taking this proactive step on behalf all us involved in the Historical Vehicle Movement. The use of our cars is a very important part of this passion.
Not just cars, but all vehicles, which comprises even scooters, bikes etc. and privately-owned HCVs such as vans, minibuses- though few examples of the latter are preserved in our country.
Old 13th February 2017, 12:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

What news on the over 15 year old cars NOC matter? How does one transfer a car from say Delhi to Mumbai without the NOC. My question is relevant only to exclusive cars and modern classics and collector cars.
Old 13th February 2017, 15:09   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
What news on the over 15 year old cars NOC matter? How does one transfer a car from say Delhi to Mumbai without the NOC. My question is relevant only to exclusive cars and modern classics and collector cars.
If it is over 15 years old, then no vehicle can currently be transferred to or from Delhi, NOC or no NOC- courtesy NGT ban!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks