Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 19:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes

VINTAGE CLASSIC CARS NEED GOVT SOPS
I'M ALL FOR PRESERVATION OF THESE BEAUTIES ON WHEELS

I am speaking out not for any vote bank politics or anything else. There is need for an Act of the Parliament or a Government Resolution (G.R.) to preserve Edwardian, Veteran, Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes. My sole aim is to make myself heard in the corridors of power as our mobile treasures of yore on wheels are becoming rarer by the years need a healing touch. Edwardians are pre- 1905 cars, while those made between 1905 till the start of WW I are veteran cars. All cars registered upto 31.12.1938 can be defined vintage and those made w.e.f 1.1.1939 till 31.12.1960 as classic cars by an Act of the Parliament or G.R. and their export BANNED and made a cognizable offence.

There are many lying in old garages, open spaces or just rusting in workshops. Many of these have accumulated road tax and insurance arrears, that the owner who may have passed away or become old and/or senile may be unable to pay now. The taxes in some cases range in lakhs of rupees, much more than the value of the car. These need to be waived off .

The other cars in fine or near fine running condition must get good and genuine spares that is available in the International markets. Sops need to be given to owners to get these through designated dealers @ at least Rs 25000/- per year free of any CUSTOM DUTIES. As has happened in the past history repeats and so there is a lot of scope for misuse of this proviso. The Central Act/G.R. can take adequate precautions to check any such loopholes.

All current and future road taxes on Edwardian, Veteran , Vintage and Classic cars and bikes can be waived off by the State and Union territory Govts.. These rarely ply on the roads on a regular basis and waiving off the taxes will encourage owners to keep these cars.They also should be exempt from pollution tests of any kind, as their engines are neither Euro I or II but World War I and II compliant.

It is the general belief that Vintage and Classic car owners are an economically privileged lot. This needs to be rethought, as even if they are privileged , ownership of an old beauty has numerous hassles to be tackled, to keep the machine roadworthy and in pristine condition. The nightmares that the owners pass through to procure rarely available spares, needs to be recognised by one and all, more specifically the policy makers. Money cant buy anything that is simply not available. There are many owners who are not so privileged as the others think they are!

I hope all fellow vintage and classic car and bike clubs and owners will advocate the need for an Act of Parliament/ G.R. to save these vanishing beauties of yore.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2008, 16:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

You make some very valid points indeed. I do hope someone higher up is listening. We keep hearing of benefits like these to be offered, but they somehow never materialise.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:56   #3
BHPian

Well said anjan. This point is truely worth escalating to the higher rungs of the Government, but how? Maybe, if these laws are enforced, we would be rid of the high prices that govern purchase of these priceless pieces.

There would be more interest in preserving these pieces of history, more efforts spent. Unscrupulous vendors are now hoarding these historic pieces and moving our heritage to foreign lands. A point to note would be the case of the Lambrettas. Am sure one and all would agree that prices quoted for these scooters are very heavy, for they are bought using GBP and USD.

Lets hear what others have to say on this too. Am keenly watching this thread.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

I fully endorse this idea. I have recently called for some parts for my Impala by post from usa. the customs here at foreign post parcel office have detained them and refuse to clear them saying old parts are prohibited. We explained that only old parts are available for a 50 year old car, they refuse any reason.
If someone is aware is there any provision to this effect? or is it that they will just confiscate the parts, end of the story?
Old 15th July 2008, 17:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Edwardians are pre- 1905 cars, while those made between 1905 till the start of WW I are veteran cars. All cars registered upto 31.12.1938 can be defined vintage and those made w.e.f 1.1.1939 till 31.12.1960 as classic cars by an Act of the Parliament or G.R. and their export BANNED and made a cognizable offence.
All excellent points!

Although personally I feel the "classic" definition could be extended upto 1970, or atleast '65 considering that there still wre cars that were "genuine" in make until that time.

I might add that things like NOC, change of registration should be exempted for such vehicles as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05
I fully endorse this idea. I have recently called for some parts for my Impala by post from usa. the customs here at foreign post parcel office have detained them and refuse to clear them saying old parts are prohibited. We explained that only old parts are available for a 50 year old car, they refuse any reason.
If someone is aware is there any provision to this effect? or is it that they will just confiscate the parts, end of the story?
Were those like NOS parts or 2nd hand/used ones? As used parts are very much banned from what I have heard and penalty could be 100%!
Otherwise they could be brought down but if the value exceeds 5k, there will be a duty charged.
If certain parts are available used only you could have the senders send them saying that they are NOS (but they have to look so!)

Last edited by Stanher : 15th July 2008 at 17:28.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:15   #6
BANNED

Noc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
All excellent points!

Although personally I feel the "classic" definition could be extended upto 1970, or atleast '65 considering that there still wre cars that were "genuine" in make until that time.
I might add that things like NOC, change of registration should be exempted for such vehicles as well!

in my view NOC should not be issued to dealers agents
Old 15th July 2008, 18:45   #7
BHPian

Save our Scooters!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
There would be more interest in preserving these pieces of history, more efforts spent. Unscrupulous vendors are now hoarding these historic pieces and moving our heritage to foreign lands. A point to note would be the case of the Lambrettas. Am sure one and all would agree that prices quoted for these scooters are very heavy, for they are bought using GBP and USD.
It is so difficult to get a good ol' Lambretta today because of these horrible people buying them for a song, and selling abroad for a bomb. Stop the madness...Save our Scoots!!! They are in a way, a part of our cultural heritage. Look at the thread dedicated to Lambrettas...this was the very first motorized vehicle that many middle-class families could afford to own back then, and so many of us retain fond memories associated with the Lambretta.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:36   #8
BANNED

Great thought Anjan,WOW..

This kind of SOPS are required, but, practically anything like what you've been mentioning is not possible.

For a small road laying plan to get a sanction it takes ages for our govt. How would the govt., fund all the car owners.

Anyways anyone from the political scene here on T-BHP?
Old 16th July 2008, 07:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
All excellent points!

IMHO if this ever becomes a reality, it should be a legislation which will last for a long time.

The only way to do that is not to specify a cut off date for banning exports, but to put a maximum age for export of a car.

That is any car older than 30 or 40 years should not be exported.

This can be either from the first registration or start of manufacture of the car model
Old 17th July 2008, 22:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Simplythe best The only way to do that is not to specify a cut off date for banning exports, but to put a maximum age for export of a car.

That is any car older than 30 or 40 years should not be exported.

This can be either from the first registration or start of manufacture of the car model.

Very nice suggestion from simplythebest. I am also moving these papers to important functionaries in the govt but have so far not got any positive response. The Union Commerce Ministry has to move the papers, I learn. Sadly, I also emailed the text months back to the important office bearers of VCCI, Mumbai by name,after visiting their website, but got no response at all. In fact ,the VCCI can have the ears of the mandarins at the helm, being the apex body that represents a large section of such car and bike owners.
Stanher I might add that things like NOC, change of registration should be exempted for such vehicles as well!
Stanher your suggestion is logical too.
PAVAN KADAM How would the govt., fund all the car owners.
No Pavan the government does not fund any car or bike owner. He allows them to spend Rs 25000/- per year towards the maintenance of each such car, by importing spares from abroad preferably through designated dealers, who hold import licences.But there should be no scams and ghost deliveries and foreign exchange rackets as has happened earlier.Or else the blame will fall on we owners and the basket of goodies may be withdrawn.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2008, 11:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Edwardians are pre- 1905 cars, while those made between 1905 till the start of WW I are veteran cars. All cars registered upto 31.12.1938 can be defined vintage and those made w.e.f 1.1.1939 till 31.12.1960 as classic cars by an Act of the Parliament or G.R. and their export BANNED and made a cognizable offence.

Anjan,
I am confused here - Are you stating these as facts or is this a wish list? I.E. Can classic and vintage cars be exported right now?

To play devil's advocate - what happens if a classic car lover has to relocate to another country and wants to take his classics with him?

Or alternatively, what if someone wants to send their rusted car to an overseas restorer for a high quality job?
Old 10th August 2008, 17:09   #12
BHPian

The Indian Customs Laws forbid import of Old Parts. It is quite stupid to expect NEW parts for OLD cars !!. Recently I imported bumpers etc for my Vanguard Phase I.Same story. It was tough getting them out
Old 10th August 2008, 17:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great post Anjan. You have touched the cord in every old car lover's heart. I fully supposrt this and maybe if we can from a delegation with the VCCCI we can achieve this. Its a long shot but the hope is there.
Just for your information, tax exemption, to a larger extent meaning heavily subsidized rates for paying taxes are possible if one can get a certificate of authenticity from the VCCCI in Bombay at least. For details one may contact them.
Old 10th August 2008, 17:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
The Indian Customs Laws forbid import of Old Parts. It is quite stupid to expect NEW parts for OLD cars !!. Recently I imported bumpers etc for my Vanguard Phase I.Same story. It was tough getting them out
Right now such imports are banned Ananth but this proposal asks for legalising imports of spares for each car valued upto a maximum of Rs 25000 every year.The imports should be through licenced spare parts outlets. That is just to keep these cars fit and moving with their owners.
Old 10th August 2008, 17:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great post Anjan. You have touched the cord in every old car lover's heart. I fully supposrt this and maybe if we can from a delegation with the VCCCI we can achieve this. Its a long shot but the hope is there.
Just for your information, tax exemption, to a larger extent meaning heavily subsidized rates for paying taxes are possible if one can get a certificate of authenticity from the VCCCI in Bombay at least. For details one may contact them.
Thanks V16 for your support. As I have recorded I had emailed to the VCCCI some months back sounding them about these proposals but there has been no response from them.

Most Viewed