Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 23:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

God, what a place, Cyrus. Are these cars going to be restored anywhere in the future, or have they been kept there as trophies ?
This seems one of those typical scenes where the owner neither does anything about them himself, nor agrees to sell. Then they eventually get junked. I wish I could aquire one of those lonavala cars cheap..
Old 5th August 2008, 23:24   #17

the last post has pics taken from a garage which has had these cars since a really really long time..I doubt they will ever get restored.

Can someone identify the cars??

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 5th August 2008 at 23:41.
Old 5th August 2008, 23:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

All the more reason to try getting them cheap !!
Old 6th August 2008, 09:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
More from lonavala. These used to be a porsche 914. Its gone now. Anyone have any idea where it is?
First car is a Riley, cant tell what the other is.

There is a 914 in Bombay, I think it is the same one from Lonavala.
Old 6th August 2008, 23:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

these cars have been trying to get restored for the last 4 yrs, they are in the garage opposite the dukes retreat entrance. the garage owner is elusive about who owns these cars but claims its someone from mumbai.probably using the garage for a cheap parking space
Old 6th August 2008, 23:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
First car is a Riley, cant tell what the other is.

There is a 914 in Bombay, I think it is the same one from Lonavala.
The lonavala 914 was REALLY bad. i hope it was restored. It is by far one of the sleekest porsches ever.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
these cars have been trying to get restored for the last 4 yrs, they are in the garage opposite the dukes retreat entrance. the garage owner is elusive about who owns these cars but claims its someone from mumbai.probably using the garage for a cheap parking space
Amol what is that 20s hard top 4 door saloon? Model A Ford?
Old 7th August 2008, 20:19   #23

It looks like a Model A to me. The only thing that comes closer is one of those Chevrolet ones that is at Forgett street.
Old 10th August 2008, 17:15   #24
BHPian

The first photo (top one) is a 1946-48 Riley. I could easily identify because I am restoring one at present
Old 10th August 2008, 18:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amol what is that 20s hard top 4 door saloon? Model A Ford?
It is a ford A model the grill chrome surround is missing but the broad drop over the radiator is a dead giveaway. Its owned by someone in Bombay. I have really seen this car rot away in front of my eyes, apparently its missing a lot of engine parts.
Old 10th August 2008, 19:34   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is a ford A model the grill chrome surround is missing but the broad drop over the radiator is a dead giveaway. Its owned by someone in Bombay. I have really seen this car rot away in front of my eyes, apparently its missing a lot of engine parts.
Being a hardtop makes it quite a rarity. I know of less than half a dozen hardtops in India. Soft tops could number 100s!
Old 11th August 2008, 12:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amol, the car in question is not a hard top Model A, but Harit tells me it is an Erskine. Now there was mention of a Porsche 914 as well, I know for a fact that an Erskine shared space with the 914. Incidentally, Harit says the 914 used to belong to Dharmendra at one point. I now vaguely recall seeing it in a Bollywood blockbuster. Does anyone else recall seeing it?
Old 11th August 2008, 12:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amol, the car in question is not a hard top Model A, but Harit tells me it is an Erskine. Now there was mention of a Porsche 914 as well, I know for a fact that an Erskine shared space with the 914. Incidentally, Harit says the 914 used to belong to Dharmendra at one point. I now vaguely recall seeing it in a Bollywood blockbuster. Does anyone else recall seeing it?
what year was the 914 Karl? if you could post pictures of a similar looking car i might be able to tell you. there was one that i saw in Bombay (in my own compound and i wanted the car but the owner was not traceable) but not sure if it was a 911 or a 914 (confused). Thank you.
Old 11th August 2008, 13:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now there was mention of a Porsche 914 as well, I know for a fact that an Erskine shared space with the 914. Incidentally, Harit says the 914 used to belong to Dharmendra at one point. I now vaguely recall seeing it in a Bollywood blockbuster. Does anyone else recall seeing it?
I remember seeing Sunny drive it. He used to study in the Podar college and was called Ajay (thats his real name). My sister was in the same college, his senior. Even Karan Shah's mother was in the same college senior to them. I remember my sister and her group hanging out in the rear open space, what used to be a parking lot (there were not so many students who would bring cars to college then. Sunny was instantly recognizable as Dharmendra's son because of his resemblance. He would come in the 914 (was orangish red at that time and had a registeration of MMB XXX- i think it was MMB 914 if not mistaken) accompanied by a chauffeur and would not atend college. He would sit all the time in or around his car and mingle with seniors. This was around 1977ish. I remember him asking me to sit in the car and get a feel, which I did. He was, even then a shy, meek and polite person. He told me it was a VW Porsche, at least thats whet he used to cal it then.
Then after a few months he left for London. I doubt whether he finished his studies.
Then after around 5 or so years, I saw the car in B.R. Chopra's house. It was White in colour. It was parked in the rear of his bungalow where the sound and recording studio is/was situated. I guess Sunny must be there for dubbing of one f his films.
I used to go to his place to collect Video cassettes from his son as that was the time where no Video libraries had come up and there were only a handful of such contraptions in the City.
A few years later, i saw the car with Anoop Thakur who then operated from Bandra, lying in a state if disrepair. The top left open and water pouring down in the car. Why would someone do this i wondered. It was again painted reddish orange alike the original colour.
That was my last sighting of the car. After that I dont know where it went but I can find out. I know its not junked but exists somewhere, maybe in Bombay itself.

@ Speedy- this is what a 914 looks like made between 1969-1976 and is a collectible today.
Pics: Classics in Lonavala-porsche914.jpg

Sunny's car had the same wheels.

Last edited by V-16 : 11th August 2008 at 13:56. Reason: add
Old 11th August 2008, 19:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
That was my last sighting of the car. After that I dont know where it went but I can find out. I know its not junked but exists somewhere, maybe in Bombay itself.
The car is with a Bandra collector, I think it is parked in karjat now, not sure. He also owns a Crossley, a couple of Model A Fords, an Erskine and some very early bikes. Also he has a genuine convertible VW.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks