Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 22:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Does anyone know where the Bugatti and the Mercedes 540K shown in the Parsiana Article (Post #1) are today ?

The Bugatti looks very much like the Corsica bodied ex-Nawanagar (?) car. Think I had posted a period picture on the Gondal Collection thread (Post # 21).
Sorry I should have said "Mercedes SS" in the Parsiana article. Wonder if this is the same ex-Berar car that DKG had posted with Princess Niloufer.

Also attaching period pictures of the Bugatti
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-nawanagar-bugatti-side.jpg  

Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-nawanagar-bugatti-frt-3q.jpg  

travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2009, 23:03   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Sorry I should have said "Mercedes SS" in the Parsiana article. Wonder if this is the same ex-Berar car that DKG had posted with Princess Niloufer.
Azamjah's SS had a chrome garnish/embellishment just above the footboard. These SS seem to be different cars. The white one looks gorgeous with the motorcycle style mudguards. My ! could this car have been here in india?

The article does mention a 35 540 k belonging to the Petit family apart from the Bugatti

It was interesting to note that the 540 was sold by Dadajee Dhackjee. That family seriously needs to be profiled here ! Packard and exotic Mercedes dealers

Last edited by DKG : 1st February 2009 at 23:07.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Azamjah's SS had a chrome garnish/embellishment just above the footboard. These SS seem to be different cars. The white one looks gorgeous with the motorcycle style mudguards. My ! could this car have been here in india?

The article does mention a 35 540 k belonging to the Petit family apart from the Bugatti

It was interesting to note that the 540 was sold by Dadajee Dhackjee. That family seriously needs to be profiled here ! Packard and exotic Mercedes dealers
This Bugatti finally belonged to anotheer Parsi family in Mumbai. They sent her to UK for restoration and forgot about her. Notices were ignored and she was sold off. Lost to the vintage world, awaiting to be discovered if not scrapped. Incidently, the ignition key is still with a gentleman in MUmbai.
Dadajee Dhackjee were agents for Packard, Mercedes Benz, Hupmobile, Singer Peugeot. Maybe some more. I have memorabilia including calenders, adverts & pics. The showroom near Sandhurst bridge was converted to offices ages ago, they had a branch at Worli in Shivsagar estate where they continued repairing cars till the whole thing was sold off.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:13   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Dadajee Dhackjee were agents for Packard, Mercedes Benz, Hupmobile, Singer Peugeot. Maybe some more. I have memorabilia including calenders, adverts & pics. The showroom near Sandhurst bridge was converted to offices ages ago, they had a branch at Worli in Shivsagar estate where they continued repairing cars till the whole thing was sold off.
Does anyone retain old dealership pictures and any sales records ?
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2010, 14:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an article I came across in the Parsi community newpaper, Jam-e-Jamshed. It talks about a a 1960 Amby in the family from new, a car that I have regularly seen and admired over the years in Pune

Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-jokhi.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2010, 15:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Not in the very distant future, you, and Ronny will be featured in articles such as these
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 17:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Petit Vauxhall 30-98

A long while back, Karlos had posted a fabulous article from "Parsiana" chronicling some amazing cars.

There was an interesting snippet on the Petit Vauxhall 30-98. Here is an "action" picture to go with it (ca 1926).

Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-petit-parsiana-vauxhall-3098-cropped.jpg

Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-petit-vauxhall-3098-1926.jpg
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 00:29   #23
BHPian

Navroze Special: Parsis and their cars

First of all Navroze Mubarak to everyone! I wanted to start this topic a long time back, but decided it would be better to start it today!

I live near two Parsi colonies, and whenever I see an extremely well maintained and an impeccable car, you can be pretty sure there is going to be a Farvahar at the back of it. Bollywood too, though it stereotypes, tells us the same thing. This makes it obvious that Parsis and cars definitely have some kind of a special bond.

Even the first few cars ever brought in India were by Parsis (The first car in India belonged to Mr. Rustomjee Cowasjee Cursetjee Jamsetjee Jejeebhoy). I think most of us are familiar with JRD Tata's passion for cars. I still remember that picture of him driving his Bugatti at the Malabar Hill residence.

Here is the picture:
Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-jrdtata.jpg

It is not uncommon to hear "Parsi owned cars" get a better price than other normal cars. Stories of how Parsis are fanatically devoted to their cars are heard everywhere. A lot of them even refer to their cars as "mistresses" or "The second wife" and take care likewise (or even better :P) Some consider it "crazy", but I guess it's normal. Right?

Check out this Rustomjee ad I found on the internet:
Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-848377d963faa6efa03abe8579187e71.jpg

Last BUT definitely not the least, I have seen our Parsi T-BHP member's cars, in photos and in flesh! Immaculately maintained with a lot of TLC. As I am more active on the Vintage and Classics section, I see some really beautiful classics maintained by the owners in top condition! Hats off to their dedication!

One big question sill remains unanswered though, that how did this Parsi love affair for cars start?

Feel free to add stories, incidents and other interesting stuff that you have heard of/experienced with this car-crazy community!

Attaching a few pictures of my favourite beautifully maintained Fiats. Hope the owners don't mind!

Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-_mg_9045.jpg
Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-img_0245.jpg
Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-img_0179.jpg
Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-1.jpg
Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection-img_0181.jpg

Last edited by Impala59 : 19th August 2015 at 00:34.
Impala59 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Navroze Special: Parsis and their cars

Parsis are the minority community that have done the most for the country in all fields - Homi Bhaba, JRD, Zubin Mehta, Dadabhai Naoroji, Sam Manekshaw and so many others. God bless them. I think their passion for their cars & Yezdi's is a result of an overall family value system that encourages doing things well (ie excellence), contributing to society & community and not seeking reservations. It shows up in the neatness of the traditional Parsi colonies - not only the upscale ones in Colaba but also those more modest on the economic scale in say Parel/Lalbaug. Happy New Year to all Parsis on Team BHP. May you one day sell me one of your exquisitely maintained old Fiat's. I wont haggle. Promise.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
May you one day sell me one of your exquisitely maintained old Fiat's. I wont haggle. Promise.
Ha ha! You may not have heard the old joke about Parsis.

Quote:
A Columbian, Russian, Arab and a Parsi were in a discussion during an Antique Collectors' Dinner.

Columbian Drug Lord: "I have loads of money.... I want to buy the world's 10 rarest pens."

Russian: "I am a billionaire... I want to buy the world's 20 most highly valued antique watches."

Arab: "That's nothing! I am a rich prince... I intend to purchase the world's top 50 Vintage cars."

Then they wait for the Parsi to speak...

He stirs his tea, bites into his Bun Maska, places the spoon neatly on the table, takes a sip, leans back with hands on the head and softly says..

"I am not selling."
reverse_gear is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:46   #26
BHPian

Lovely thread! I know quite a few Parsis, (I also have a Parsi friend who is a girl not a girlfriend) and they have an amazingly advanced thought process and intellect. Very refined individuals, and whatever the Rustomjee ad might say or depict in all its authenticity, there is an originality in the way it is done! Taking care of cars or excelling in academics or just plain abusing the cousins. There was this Parsi family in Kolkata, not quite our neighbours, but close. They had a Hillman. The owner, the Parsi "Gramps", would not sell it to the Kabadiwala, and even though it was defunct, the wash guy used to clean it daily, and the "new" Contessa too. The car finally rusted away, but was in the "family ground" long after Gramps had died, till the land was sold off and the grandson moved to New Zealand.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 19th August 2015 at 16:14.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 07:22   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Navroze Mubarak to all our Parsi Friends.
Lovely people.
Have several good friends amongst the community.
Real class!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:46   #28
BHPian

Re: Vintage Cars: The Parsi Connection

Came across this documentary in DW (a German channel).

srini1785 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 14:45   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Came across this documentary in DW (a German channel).
What an absolutely delightful and touching video. I sat and watched through all the 35 odd minutes of it. Great to see two of our own members featured in there. The Parsi contribution to India is completely out of proportion to their tiny numbers. May they always thrive and grow.
V.Narayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:53   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

A Ford V8 with the same Parsi family since Day 1:-

https://magazine.derivaz-ives.com/my...-80-years-ago/
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed