Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 18:05   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This could be a Alpine -Tiger does this car exist any more? Seems Maharashtra registered.
It is indeed a Sunbeam Alpine. Regarding Tiger, how does one differentiate a Tiger from a regular?

The car is MRZ registered, which dates to around 64/65, Bombay. This is assuming the registration is original to the car, and not changed for the movie.
Old 14th September 2009, 22:56   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It is indeed a Sunbeam Alpine. Regarding Tiger, how does one differentiate a Tiger from a regular?

The car is MRZ registered, which dates to around 64/65, Bombay. This is assuming the registration is original to the car, and not changed for the movie.
The Alpine Tiger came from 64-67, The dead giveaway visually is the front grill always chequred squares in a tiger, well as the regular alpines had horizontal slats. Therefore this must be a regular Alpine looking at the Grill.

Ofcourse I dont have to tell you that Tigers had V8's only about 7000 tigers were produced. I have never seen one in India? Or are there?
Old 15th September 2009, 10:16   #168
Senior - BHPian

It looks like its a series three Alpine with te full fins at the rear which wer abreviated from the series four onwards.

I think this car is now in Hyd with Rashid Bhai. I have driven it for a while but am not sure of the reg number on it.

It had the single carb setup
Old 15th September 2009, 17:14   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd been recently watching this late 80s Tamil movie "NAyagan" on youtube, a film loosely based on a Tamilian-origin past mafia of Bombay, Vardaraajan Mudaliar (a.ka. Vardabhai) played by Kamal Haasan.

The first half of the movie shows flashback scenes with quite a number of 50s and 60s classics- a Buick 8(? no 'portholes' in sides), Morris Minor, Dodge Kingsway or Plymouth Belvedere, Hillman Minx and a Vauxhall 12(?), plus a '64 Impala conv.

In the 2nd half, there also appears a Hanseat Tempo.

The dodge/Plymouth seems to have a number that says "BSV/BSY"?? What state could that be? Tried as I might I couldn't get a clearer view of the plate, this is the only scene where it appears, that too with the car running.

Or could the 'B' actually be M (so MSY ----)?? That would make it a Madras regn. which could also explain the "dot" i nthe centre of the headlamps.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3650.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3663.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3666.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3667.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3668.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3669.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3670.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3671.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3672.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3651.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3662.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 15th September 2009 at 17:20.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:42   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I'd been recently watching this late 80s Tamil movie "NAyagan" on Youtube, a film loosely based on a Tamilian-origin past mafia of Bombay, Vardaraajan Mudaliar (a.ka. Vardabhai) played by Kamal Haasan.

The dodge/Plymouth seems to have a number that says "BSV/BSY"?? What state could that be? Tried as I might I couldn't get a clearer view of the plate, this is the only scene where it appears, that too with the car running.

Or could the 'B' actually be M (so MSY ----)?? That would make it a Madras regn. which could also explain the "dot" i nthe centre of the headlamps.
Can't say I've heard of a BS series. Could even be a bogus series for the movie. What about the other cars?
Old 15th September 2009, 18:13   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Another all time favorite movie of mine is 'Haseen Maan Jaayegi', where Shashi Kapoor plays a dual role.

There is a particularly memorable song sequence featuring two spotless white racy convertibles - A Standard Herald Mk 1 and a Sunbeam Alpine
Perhaps the two machines belong to the RK family only, apart from many others. On multiple occasions I have heard many period film makers stating that they rented the classics and vintages from RK Studios.
On one occasion, during my first visit to Mumbai back in 1989-90, I had gone to Filmcity, just like every commoner and saw shooting of AB's Aaj ka Arjun. Not a great film however, the only memory I have is the light brown - ivory two-tone VW bus as the rest-in-between-shoots van of AB.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:32   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can't say I've heard of a BS series. Could even be a bogus series for the movie. What about the other cars?
Cannot make out- most of these were seen moving, so not possible to decipher the numbers too clearly. I think the hillman was BMY though.
Old 19th September 2009, 23:59   #173
Senior - BHPian

Just now on cable channel Space Black an old movie Aar Paar was running. It shows many classics including a car chase where a Buick Super 8 convertible is chasing a Chevy Fleetmaster. Very nice, though you can make out that the camera was run on slow while filming to make the cars appear to run faster. Worth a look. The Buick was BMZ registered.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 20th September 2009 at 00:16.
Old 21st September 2009, 19:12   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Perhaps the two machines belong to the RK family only, apart from many others. On multiple occasions I have heard many period film makers stating that they rented the classics and vintages from RK Studios.
On one occasion, during my first visit to Mumbai back in 1989-90, I had gone to Filmcity, just like every commoner and saw shooting of AB's Aaj ka Arjun. Not a great film however, the only memory I have is the light brown - ivory two-tone VW bus as the rest-in-between-shoots van of AB.
This car a Chevy II Nova (LHD), 4 door, auto trans, straight six cyl inline, belonged to Film City before being bought by my friend in the early 1980's. This car has appeared in many Bollywood films as my friend said when he bought it. My friend is no more now and the car is rotting. A buyer has agreed to buy it of late and it is likely to be taken over in a few days from now.
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-untitled1.jpg
Old 21st September 2009, 20:16   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This car a Chevy II Nova (LHD), 4 door, auto trans, straight six cyl inline, belonged to Film City before being bought by my friend in the early 1980's. This car has appeared in many Bollywood films as my friend said when he bought it. My friend is no more now and the car is rotting. A buyer has agreed to buy it of late and it is likely to be taken over in a few days from now.
Attachment 195475

I had been offerd this car about 3 months back the price was exobident.Of cource it would be because it came through a middle man also.I have some more pics of thsi car if anybody is interested i shall put them up.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:21   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
I had been offerd this car about 3 months back the price was exobident.Of cource it would be because it came through a middle man also.I have some more pics of thsi car if anybody is interested i shall put them up.
Please do put them up.. Unless she's already sold.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:23   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Please do put them up.. Unless she's already sold.

Well i think anjan said that the car has been sold and would be taken away soon.But i think i can show the other pics with anjan's permission.

Anjan looking forward to your permission.
Old 21st September 2009, 22:59   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well i think anjan said that the car has been sold and would be taken away soon.But i think i can show the other pics with anjan's permission.

Anjan looking forward to your permission.
Most welcome Indrojit. You are free to do so!
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:17   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

A set of long-archived pics. from me!

An early Standard 20 van seen in an 80s Tamil movie on a cable TV channel. 'can't read what's painted on its' sides, but in the movie, it is used to deliver food to school children in a village. The front RH glass and LH door are ripped off in the fight scene- incidentally, the 20s were known to have rather weak-hinged doors.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_2563.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_2568.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_2570.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_2576.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_2577.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_2579.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_2587.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_2588.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd September 2009 at 01:26.
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:44   #180
Senior - BHPian

IF im not mistaken, a Standard 20 van also featured in the Film Shiva starring Nagarjuna. I think it was one of the first films made by Ram Gopal Verma. Excellent film. Nagarjuna's friends are attacked and killed while travelling in the van. Regaridng th Nova, was it bought fom Jalil bhai? This is the same guy wh had a graveyard of cars just outside film city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks