Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:28   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
IF im not mistaken, a Standard 20 van also featured in the Film Shiva starring Nagarjuna. I think it was one of the first films made by Ram Gopal Verma. Excellent film. Nagarjuna's friends are attacked and killed while travelling in the van.
Yes, I too recall that but that was a later model, known as the Micro. The more boxy shaped and (IMHO) leess attractive one. That was actually a telugu film, dubbed in Hindi I think.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:36   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Most welcome Indrojit. You are free to do so!

Thank you anjan for your permisssion.

So here are the 3 pics i was shown out of which anjan has put up one.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-chevy201.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-chevy202.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-chevy203.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2009, 13:21   #183
BHPian

Was watching the Dilip Kumar classic yesterday, "Ram aur Shyam" and Pran was shown driving around a 1959 Plymouth Belvedere, ivory white and two-tone exteriors. The car was superb looking and a big one.
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:20   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
I had been offerd this car about 3 months back the price was exobident.Of cource it would be because it came through a middle man also.I have some more pics of thsi car if anybody is interested i shall put them up.
Quote:
Well i think anjan said that the car has been sold and would be taken away soon.But i think i can show the other pics with anjan's permission.

Anjan looking forward to your permission.
Quote:
Most welcome Indrojit. You are free to do so!
Quote:

Actually the pictures given to you must've been taken from the forum itself. They were posted by Anjan earlier here. Even the size dimensions match.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1106602-post954.html
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:13   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Was watching the Dilip Kumar classic yesterday, "Ram aur Shyam" and Pran was shown driving around a 1959 Plymouth Belvedere, ivory white and two-tone exteriors. The car was superb looking and a big one.
Didn't you also notice the equally superb early 2-door Herald turned convertible, driven by Waheeda Rehman?? Its a metallic greenish grey shade, has a Madras number, MSW something. She and DK drive out in it and a song starts...then a scene where she parks it at a street and on her way out, is confronted by two eve-teasers who are sorted out by DK.
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:19   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Actually the pictures given to you must've been taken from the forum itself. They were posted by Anjan earlier here. Even the size dimensions match.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1106602-post954.html

Karl i hadnt seen the pics here before.The pics were shown through a broker and i had a cd given in which they were in.I agree there is a possiblity of these pics being take off from here and shown to me.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:02   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Didn't you also notice the equally superb early 2-door Herald turned convertible, driven by Waheeda Rehman?? Its a metallic greenish grey shade, has a Madras number, MSW something. She and DK drive out in it and a song starts...then a scene where she parks it at a street and on her way out, is confronted by two eve-teasers who are sorted out by DK.
Yes Stan, but I didnt mention that for two reasons,
1) The Herald was quite a common thing in the movies then, also perhas Sunbeams but here this Plymouth was literally eye-catcing.
2) This herald already finds a mention on this forum in one of the threads (by H.H. YOU only ) so me writing again would've been a mere repetition.

The number was MSW 6752, two tone with white strip on the sides and green metallic base.
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:26   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anjan for your permission , and thanks Indrojit for the pictures. A friend was interested, but I have a feeling he's finding the price a bit steep. Lets see where she finally goes.
All in all a nice car, pray she goes to a good home.
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:30   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Thanks Anjan for your permission , and thanks Indrojit for the pictures. A friend was interested, but I have a feeling he's finding the price a bit steep. Lets see where she finally goes.
All in all a nice car, pray she goes to a good home.

Its indeed a nice car but neglected for a long time and i understand the reason.She should go to a good home as well as goto good hands and be done up to its glory again.
Old 14th October 2009, 22:52   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

'been watching on youtube this popular song "Ae dil hai mushkil.......yeh hai bombay meri jaan" from the 50s movie CID. 'can find various 50s cars of that era...and hardly any 2-wheelers then!

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3725.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3726.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3729.jpg

The ones that can be seen relatively prominently in this song are a 50s Hillman Minx taxi, an early 50s Chevy and a '52-54 series E Vauxhall (seems like a Wyvern going by the lack of the bonnet "lip" chrome trim just under the badge) similar to the one I'm restoring here. Note even the horizontal chrome grille bar and front bumper have been painted over, probably as a measure against rust in the Bombay climate. Another Vauxhall, albeit an older model, can be seen as a taxi behind. 'cant identify the black car and other taxi on the right.

The taxi just visible behind the horse seems to be a Ford Prefect, regn. seems BMZ 2234 or 2734.

The one in front of that (can just see the rear end) right of the pic. is actually a Hillman Minx.

Last edited by Stanher : 14th October 2009 at 22:58.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 23:01   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
'been watching on Youtube this popular song "Ae dil hai mushkil.......yeh hai bombay meri jaan" from the 50s movie CID. 'can find various 50s cars of that era...and hardly any 2-wheelers then!

Attachment 210305

Attachment 210306

Attachment 210307

The ones that can be seen relatively prominently in this song are a 50s Hillman Minx taxi, an early 50s Chevy and a '52-54 series E Vauxhall (seems like a Wyvern going by the lack of the bonnet "lip" chrome trim just under the badge) similar to the one I'm restoring here. Note even the horizontal chrome grille bar and front bumper have been painted over, probably as a measure against rust in the Bombay climate. Another Vauxhall, albeit an older model, can be seen behind that.

The taxi just visible behind the horse seems to be a Ford Prefect, regn. seems BMZ 2234 or 2734.

The one in front of that (can just see the rear end) right of the pic. is actually a Hillman Minx.
Vow Stanher! A good find! Could trace most of the cars you've cited or sighted.The newer, early 1950's Vauxhall is a Velox perhaps.The fish shaped chrome trim, on the bonnet of the newer Vauxhall is prominent.
Old 15th October 2009, 00:04   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The newer, early 1950's Vauxhall is a Velox perhaps.The fish shaped chrome trim, on the bonnet of the newer Vauxhall is prominent.
Thanks anjan. All the Vauxhalls dating from even the pre-war models (I think) had the chrome "flutes" on either side of the bonnet if that's what you refer to. The late 40s E series onwards had detachable ones. The Velox in this model, as I mentioned, has a horizontal chrome trim with VAUXHALL on it right under the emblem badge at the bonnet centre. This car doesn't seem to have that. Hence I suspect is a Wyvern.

Last edited by Stanher : 15th October 2009 at 00:14.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:24   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
'been watching on Youtube this popular song "Ae dil hai mushkil.......yeh hai bombay meri jaan" from the 50s movie CID. 'can find various 50s cars of that era...and hardly any 2-wheelers then!

Nice find, thanks. BMZ is a private vehicle number, and this taxi, bearing a white plate, would maybe sport a BMQ, BMR, BMS, BMT regn, or something like that.
Old 18th October 2009, 13:59   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I too recall that but that was a later model, known as the Micro. The more boxy shaped and (IMHO) less attractive one.
Continuing on which, here is one I spotted today in a Tamil movie that seems to be from around early 90s. These vans were were very common in this colour.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3797.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3799.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3800.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_3802.jpg
Old 18th October 2009, 17:17   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Continuing on which, here is one I spotted today in a Tamil movie that seems to be from around early 90s. These vans were were very common in this colour.
Nostalgic. The sky blue colour resembles the older Herald colour too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks