Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 21:19   #301
BHPian

Documenting cars of the Indian film industry

Slightly OT here, but is there a case for documenting the cars and other vehicles ( two wheelers) of :

1. Members of the Indian film industry (not necessarily Bollywood only please)
2. Cars and other vehicles by make and model

My reasons for such a request is twofold.

One, the Indian film industry was one of the few places where one could find cars of all types (small ones, sedans, tourers etc.) right from the 1920s onwards (and even today) as the film industry was and remains a high paying industry one and affordability was not a problem. At least for some. Also celebrities had this yen for buying the best or the most sensational. The buyers were not only the actors and actresses but also the rich and powerful prodicers, directors and financiers. So this industry is possibly the richest source of car related info. for enthusiasts such as us.

Two, documenting cars according to make/model would reveal buying patterns of their owners and the history of the cars in a more structured way. I have heard that Ashok Kumar was one of the few who owned a Rolls, in those days. Also that RK Narayan had a blue Merc (which? when did he buy? did he sell it later? to whom?). Very interesting questions.

Can we document the Mercs? Rolls? Buicks? Standards? Impalas?
Regards

P. S. : In case you are wondering about any connexion between RK Narayan and the Indian film industry, his novel The Guide was the starting point for Navketan's film 'Guide' starring Dev Anand. It is another matter that RKN wasn't exactly happy with the Navketan treatment for his story!

Last edited by issigonis : 31st July 2010 at 21:19. Reason: Correction made
Old 31st July 2010, 22:23   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is the picture I was talking about.
OMG!! The car looked fab then! What a deterioration it has gone through! 'looks like it was owned by an enthusiast back then.
Old 7th August 2010, 04:19   #303
BHPian

A beautiful Herald.

Saw this beautiful herald in the Hindi movie April Fool, 1964. The car looks so beautiful!! And the other one from the movie Utharavindri Ulle vaa, mentioned before by Stanher.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-april-fool-1964-2.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-april-fool-1964-3.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-1.jpg  

Last edited by glomus123 : 7th August 2010 at 04:39.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:06   #304
BHPian

Hi all classic FIAT lovers,
I am starting a new thread which will exculsively post all video clips (also photos if any) in Hindi movies where FIAT 1100/Fiat500/Fiat600/Premier Padminis are seen. Hinid movies are the best place to spot all these Italian Beauties. I'l post my collection and all FIAT lovers are also requested to upload their collection (if anybody is having any Indian language i.e. Tamil/Telugu/Punjabi/Kannada/malyalam/Gujarathi/Marathi etc or european movies clips where FIATs are spotted plz upload). Let this thread become full of FIAT videos. Also please give some more details about movie name, artists etc so that it'l become interesting..............

Here is Indian Beauty HEMA with Italian Beauty FIAT. This is the song from Warris with costar Jitendra. Surprisingly this car exactly resembles with one of FCCH car (of Ram). But in compliment color scheme. The car is this video is with white/cream body with red/maroon top. Whereas our FCCH beauty is with white/cream top with red body.

One more !!! Randhir Kapoor and Babeeta in film "kal aaj aur kal" .
And it mathches with color of my Padmini. "Sedan Blue". See the fluroscent color flower stickers on rear glass. Looking Pretty!!!!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th August 2010 at 03:22. Reason: Please read the note in your post carefully, thanks
Old 8th August 2010, 19:51   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
Saw this beautiful herald in the Hindi movie April Fool, 1964. The car looks so beautiful!! And the other one from the movie Utharavindri Ulle vaa, mentioned before by Stanher.
Simply beautiful. Never knew that there was one in April Fool. The heroes and heroines are sometimes paunchy and roly-poly or middle aged.But the cars and the songs are beautiful to see and listen in to.
Old 8th August 2010, 22:16   #306
BHPian

NVk Sir: Yet another amazing thread. I loved both the videos. Not many songs cover Fiats so much.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:53   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkale2 View Post
Here is Indian Beauty HEMA with Italian Beauty FIAT. This is the song from Warris with costar Jitendra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkale2 View Post
One more !!! Randhir Kapoor and Babeeta in film "kal aaj aur kal" .
And it mathches with color of my Padmini. "Sedan Blue". See the fluroscent color flower stickers on rear glass. Looking Pretty!!!!!!
Nice ones, kale sa'ab!

I first thought the white+red car was a '77 Padmini 'Special' because of the colour scheme...but the actors both looked quite young so presumed it had to be a late 60s/early 70s movie...and so the car would be a delight- and sure enough it turned out to be one! It appears to be an early ('64-65) delight, similar to our bala (chanu's) car!

The second video fiat is also a delight with a WM* regn. IIRC.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:58   #308
BHPian

OK . Nice . so my thread is shifted where I am amazed to see knwoledge of Stanher, Karlosdeville and others regarding vinatge cars and Indian movies. I'l also keep my FIAT's flag raising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Nice to meet all of you in yet one more thread. I think I am now totally addicted to team-bhp. Only my new project assignment can take out of this addiction.............
Old 11th August 2010, 02:35   #309
Senior - BHPian

The song from the Film Safar... MRX 5689 Fiat Spyder!!

Film Hanste Zakhm- Beautiful song and composition, now used for a coke ad. Filmed in a Fiat Taxi

The great Feroze Khan always has a song or two around fancy cars

Apraadh - Mercedes SL Pagoda Top

The Train-Chevy Impala and CJ3B

Last edited by V-16 : 11th August 2010 at 02:51. Reason: adding
Old 11th August 2010, 11:04   #310
Senior - BHPian

was recently victimised ti watch a movie "My name is Anthony Gonsalves". Spotted a clean Standard Super 8

Old 12th August 2010, 22:02   #311
BHPian

Amitabh driving FIAT Super select in "Manzil"

Hi,
In some previous post we have seen " Rimzim gire Sawan" with all types of FIAT Taxis and some standards plying on beautiful Mumbai roads. Here is the clip from same movie where he drives Super select and goes to meet Mausami for a movie. Nice dual tone of FIAT-cream n cyan
Old 13th August 2010, 19:17   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

This one shows Marine Drive as in 1967 with the wide array of beautiful cars. The song is Chakke Pe Chakka from Brahmachari.A black Landmaster (like mine??), a Standard Vanguard (early version) and many many more!

This one is Ek Ladki Bheegi Bhagi Si from Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi (1958) and shows the workshop where the film was shot. Madhubala is on her Austin A 40 Somerset. There is a Hillman Minx, a Hudson and a Standard too in the workshop.

Again Chalti Ka Naam Gadi song here i.e. Babu Samjho Ishaare, the title song with which the comedy film starts.Bombay of 1957-58 is shown. The Flora Fountain area parking lot, the old Leyland double decker buses, the LIC building in Nariman Point, Ford Prefect and Hillman Minx taxis,even a tram,a black Landmaster , a brand new Dodge Kingsway and a wide array of cars on the streets and parking lots all through.

Old 14th August 2010, 12:10   #313
BHPian

Charger from Main Khiladi

A dark blue Dodge charger is seen in the action sequence in this film. Since there are as few as 4 to 5 chargers only in india, does anybody know where this car is presently

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPNnAcJR_PI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPNnAcJR_PI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 14th August 2010, 12:34   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
was recently victimised ti watch a movie "My name is Anthony Gonsalves". Spotted a clean Standard Super 8
That is actually a Morris 8 cabrio, not a Standard.
Old 14th August 2010, 13:56   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
A dark blue Dodge charger is seen in the action sequence in this film. Since there are as few as 4 to 5 chargers only in india, does anybody know where this car is presently
YouTube - Main Khiladi Tu Anari PART 5 INDIAN FILM
It is with me. One of 4 known Chargers in India. Hope more will surface.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks