Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 20:55   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

The title song of the Dev Anand film Jaaneman shows a beautiful Premier taxi with a MRP number plate- appears to be a repainted number.The taxi has a meter but Dev Anand is never seen taking any far from the heroine!

Another one: A lovely Chevrolet (is it an Impala?) seen in this song "Man Mera Tujh Ko Maange" from the film Paras (1971).

Yet another one - This one shows a Buick Super Eight convertible with a line up of old cars, a Ford Model A following the Buick. The horses and elephants are more visible in the procession whereas the cameraman shows glimpses of the cars once in a while.Film Rajkumar (1964)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th November 2010 at 21:02.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:13   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

A treat for Amby lovers- a RED mk2 Amby (few seen in that colour- was it original on any old Ambys?) spotted in a scene from what seems to be a 70s tamil movie "Mullum Malarum (the thorn and the flower) starring Rajinikanth.

In this scene, Rajini observes the elderly cantankerous owner of the car abusing a manservant/coolie for accidentally putting a scratch on the side of the car and thus refusing to pay the latter his wages.
So this provokes Rajini to teach the old bloke a lesson and, while the owner is away, he goes and smashes the car's right headlight, using his slipper!.

Incidentally, I remember having seen a pic. of a mk2 Amby in similar colour (the rims painted red as well) taken by someone at Kumbh Mela, circa 1977. This was in an article done by Autocar India on the Amby many years ago, which some of us would remember.

I also recall seeing a few red and even orange Ambys especially in '70s movies.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_7968.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_7969.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd November 2010 at 22:14.
Old 24th November 2010, 10:43   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally, I remember having seen a pic. of a mk2 Amby in similar colour (the rims painted red as well) taken by someone at Kumbh Mela, circa 1977. This was in an article done by Autocar India on the Amby many years ago, which some of us would remember.
That photo was by acclaimed photographer Raghu Rai who had published a book on images of India along with an Amby in every frame, it being such an integral part of our cultural fabric.
Old 9th December 2010, 23:07   #349
BHPian

Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Recently seen so many advts on TV where a glimpse of FIAT is seen.
1. tata docomo -FIAT taxi in mumbai
2. Horlicks - Grey color FIAT1100
3. Cadbury choco- red color FIAT
Old 10th December 2010, 01:45   #350
Senior - BHPian

Latest Amitabh starred movie "Teen Pathe" has AB driving a Fiat 1100 Elegant all through out the film.
Old 10th December 2010, 02:02   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
Found these in a Malayalam movie.
What is the make of the red car? Any guess ?
Old 10th December 2010, 07:29   #352
BHPian

First one is VW Fastback, next is Morris / Hindusthan and the third one is a standard gazel (?) Experts can explain more on this
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
What is the make of the red car? Any guess ?
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:43   #353

identifing cars from movies

On this thread please post (very) interesting cars from old movies

Here is one:

Can you help me identify this car for me.

I happened to see this interesting looking car, please see the pictures below.

It is from the movie 'Dosti [1964]'

Last edited by aah78 : 24th December 2010 at 03:35. Reason: Merged into existing thread.
Old 24th December 2010, 09:14   #354
Senior - BHPian

Re: identifing cars from movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutuias View Post
On this thread please post (very) interesting cars from old movies

Here is one:

Can you help me identify this car for me.

I happened to see this interesting looking car, please see the pictures below.

It is from the movie 'Dosti [1964]'
This the Fiat 600 Multipla Van from 1960's

File:Fiat 600 Multipla 1960.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-fiat_600_multipla_1960.jpg
Old 24th December 2010, 10:24   #355
Senior - BHPian

Wow this is amazing I saw that van too when the movie was screened couple of months ago, but was'nt quick enough to photograph it. Good job! Now that it has been identified a bit of trivia the area at the back is Parsi Colony at Dadar.

Do any of these 600 Multipla vans survive in our country?
Old 24th December 2010, 23:16   #356

Re: identifing cars from movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Sorry mods, I posted the this in the wrong place, thanks for correcting. I shall be more careful now.

Thanks manishalive! Thats was quick. This car really had unique design that this bug had, it almost feels like the car is driving in reverse. Maybe for reasons of safety this design was not replicated.

Here is something with similar looks:

This car was designed by the late Wellington Everett Miller as a publicity-getter for Arrowhead.

Fiat reused the name 'Multipla' again 1998 to produce an MPV, well far from the original design though.

Here is another picture of a modified version: (Please ignore the person in the background)

Old 27th December 2010, 18:20   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
Found these two oldies in an old Malayalam movie "Orkkappurathu, 1988". The car is a Ford, is that bike a BSA?

With thanks and regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
yes, that is a 1932 FordA previously owned by a Doctor based in Aluva,it was sold to a guy in Kottayam for 2.2lakhs in 2006.
stumbled upon the same car in FB,its been repainted to white

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-31862.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-3186.jpg
Old 27th December 2010, 19:37   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw Amar Akbar Anthony (released in 1977)! Its wonderful to see the old cars shown in the movie.To start with, the flashback scene (its a Manmohan Desai (MKD) film)wherein a Austin Somerset is seen chasing a Hindustan 14. The Hindustan 14 driven by Pran (BMU----) had period sunshade above the windscreen.Sadly, the Hindustan meets with an accident and is burnt. A two tone repainted Ford Model A is shown. The paint job looks weird but the car is OK and not modded much.Considering it was a late 1920's model it must have done at least 50 years then in 1977.My Landmaster has been on the earth for 55 years!!
But considering the messed up old car driven by Tariq (hero of Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin) in HKKN this car from AAA is more original.
A gleaming, black Chrysler 300 B limousine was shown at the Mumbai airport as belonging to Pran.This car is a treat to the eyes. Really dont know where it maybe now.Maybe old time Mumbai teambhpians may say something.
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-1955_chrysler_c300.jpg
Its a limo version of this model.Guess it had some coachwork done!
An Impala station wagon of the 1950's is also shown.This is also shown as meeting with an accident and getting damaged. CRUEL!!A few more 1950's American cars appear from time to time. A 1970's white Peugeot is shown driven by Vinod Khanna.
Many old LHD Willys Jeeps and an American Dodge mini truck of the 1950's are shown as police vehicles.These Dodges were popular with the police and had petrol engines.
In a typical Bollywood style a green Matador (or is it a Tempo Viking?) MRG 282 with the older circular headlights is shown. In the next scene its shown as a longer chassis but same green coloured Matador with a different series number --- 6709!!! Thats Bollywood!
Old 28th December 2010, 10:27   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Saw Amar Akbar Anthony (released in 1977)! Its wonderful to see the old cars shown in the movie.To start with, the flashback scene (its a Manmohan Desai (MKD) film)wherein a Austin Somerset is seen chasing a Hindustan 14. The Hindustan 14 driven by Pran (BMU----) had period sunshade above the windscreen.Sadly, the Hindustan meets with an accident and is burnt. A two tone repainted Ford Model A is shown. The paint job looks weird but the car is OK and not modded much.Considering it was a late 1920's model it must have done at least 50 years then in 1977.My Landmaster has been on the earth for 55 years!!
But considering the messed up old car driven by Tariq (hero of Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin) in HKKN this car from AAA is more original.
A gleaming, black Chrysler 300 B limousine was shown at the Mumbai airport as belonging to Pran.This car is a treat to the eyes. Really dont know where it maybe now.Maybe old time Mumbai teambhpians may say something.
Attachment 473578
Its a limo version of this model.Guess it had some coachwork done!
An Impala station wagon of the 1950's is also shown.This is also shown as meeting with an accident and getting damaged. CRUEL!!A few more 1950's American cars appear from time to time. A 1970's white Peugeot is shown driven by Vinod Khanna.
Many old LHD Willys Jeeps and an American Dodge mini truck of the 1950's are shown as police vehicles.These Dodges were popular with the police and had petrol engines.
In a typical Bollywood style a green Matador (or is it a Tempo Viking?) MRG 282 with the older circular headlights is shown. In the next scene its shown as a longer chassis but same green coloured Matador with a different series number --- 6709!!! Thats Bollywood!
Glad you brought back the memories. The Hindusthan 14 is BMU 4523, the 2 Matadors/Vikings were MRG 282 and MRF 6709. There is a lovely Amby Mk 2 Taxi, MRP 4944 in the song sequence, and Vinod Khanna is seen driving a white Peugeot MMB 4551. The Ford is BYK 729. Also a lovely 58-61 yellow Beetle is seen driven away by bodyguard 'Zabisco' and Jenny (Parveen Babi) outside Mount Mary at Bandra. The Chrysler Imperial (?) was a long wheel base, DLD 2790. I think it is currently in a Delhi collection. Good times!
Old 28th December 2010, 13:21   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Chrysler Imperial (?) was a long wheel base, DLD 2790. I think it is currently in a Delhi collection. Good times!
Yes, Imperial indeed - the first generation one. The early Chrysler 300s were all two-door coupes/convertibles.

Quite a regal car, the Imperial. I don't know if it was the same car, or another that was also used in the movie 'Anurodh', Rajesh Khanna-Simple Kapadia-Vinod Mehra-Ashok Kumar starrer? I haven't seen either movie in a long time. The car in Anurodh most probably sported a WB number plate if I remember right (and given the veracity of car numbers in movies that we've all discussed before), could they be one (fake number versus a genuine re-registration) or were there two, or more, of these around?

And, I'm not sure whether it was also called Chrysler Imperial or just Imperial because Chrysler had introduced Imperial as a stand-alone higher-end Marque, like the Toyota and Lexus story (as also indeed many other examples).

The car you refer to in a Delhi collection is the Lala Ramchander one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks