Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 09:57   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The 1960 Impala has an interesting regn.!
Could've been fake too!
A red Imapala convertible has always been a favorite of the film industry. MRZ 2233 I think was the car from Haathi Mere Saathi (though i think that was 1958), a TN regd similar car, also 2233, appeared in a couple of southern movies, and now this (CAT could be Bangalore). All 2233!
Old 8th September 2011, 11:46   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Not a Bollywood movie but definitely an Indian one...and of course old!

Appears to be an early 80s Tamil movie.

'wonder how they got hold of so many French cars though! Although all of those seem to be picked up from scrappers, except for the white Peugeot 504 "Break" and the silver 'TMU(?) 434!
Those days, French cars especially Peugeot was a favorite of ex staffers from various UN organizations returning to India. These robust French cars were also popular in the various developing countries they were typically posted earlier.

Adverts put out by STC those days invariably included a bevy of Mercedes and Peugeot cars. As a kid I used to look for and read the adverts in Chennai edition of 'The Hindu'.

The most popular of these French cars was the Peugeot 504. It was reliable, comfy, repairable and affordable !.
Old 8th September 2011, 19:07   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not a Bollywood movie but definitely an Indian one...and of course old!

Appears to be an early 80s Tamil movie.

'wonder how they got hold of so many French cars though! Although all of those seem to be picked up from scrappers, except for the white Peugeot 504 "Break" and the silver 'TMU(?) 434!

The 1960 Impala has an interesting regn.!
Could've been fake too!
The French cars could have a Pondicherry connection. This part of the country was under French rule till 1961. There were some Peugeot taxis in running condition till the late 1970's.
Old 8th September 2011, 20:24   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A red Imapala convertible has always been a favorite of the film industry. MRZ 2233 I think was the car from Haathi Mere Saathi (though i think that was 1958), a TN regd similar car, also 2233, appeared in a couple of southern movies, and now this (CAT could be Bangalore). All 2233!
Yes the Haathi Mere Saathi car (owned by TN-based Dhevar films I think) was a '58.
And yes, CAT is indeed Bangy...from the 80s.

Incidentally, another 1960 Red Impala with a Delhi regn. which I was told, was owned by the Raja of Pudukottai, appears in this 60s Tamil movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Those days, French cars especially Peugeot was a favorite of ex staffers from various UN organizations returning to India.
Adverts put out by STC those days invariably included a bevy of Mercedes and Peugeot cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The French cars could have a Pondicherry connection. This part of the country was under French rule till 1961. There were some Peugeot taxis in running condition till the late 1970's.
Or maybe, as vivriti says, they were all ex-UN or even Embassy cars? 'not sure if there is a French Embassy in Madras though.
Old 9th September 2011, 02:38   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Irony is that the car used in the mOvie is 1949 Dynaflow convertible ( Super ) while all the promo and posters has been shot with a 1947 Super convertible. The give away is the Hood locks which appear in a 1946 to 1948. Including a huge poster at Metro Cinema. Also the windscreen center post was removed to shoot the stars well. Images for comparison attached

Cheers
Katrina (?) looks better without wipers too!
Old 16th September 2011, 00:44   #456
Senior - BHPian

This one's for Stanher:
I'm not sure if this has already been on these hallowed pages, but here's a nice Stanher featured in the 1962 hit movie "Waqt".
Such grace !
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-stan-3.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-stan-1.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-stan-2.jpg  

SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 22:18   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
This one's for Stanher:
I'm not sure if this has already been on these hallowed pages, but here's a nice Stanher featured in the 1962 hit movie "Waqt".
Such grace !
I too am not if its been featured here before but its indeed a lovely Herald! Waqt incidentally has quite a few heralds seen, although except for this one all are just background vehicles. There are a couple of black ones plus a lovely duotone green and white one seen in a scene at "Tata Hospital" in the movie.
BTW, I think waqt came out in 1965?
Old 19th September 2011, 21:40   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a couple of black ones plus a lovely duotone green and white one seen in a scene at "Tata Hospital" in the movie.
BTW, I think waqt came out in 1965?
God, I must admit you have the keenest eye for Heralds - nothing escapes you !!

And yes, Waqt was 1965. My Bad.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 20:05   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
God, I must admit you have the keenest eye for Heralds - nothing escapes you !!

And yes, Waqt was 1965. My Bad.
In fact, I was also contemplating listing the best car movies on the Bollywood screens. We usually list songs here and also talk about movie scenes where period cars are seen in their original conditions.
I would also request fellow members to list the best car movies of Bollywood. To start with the two films that come on my mind are:-
(1) Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi (1958)- here there are many outdoor shots and the Bombay traffic is quite well observed. Even in the other scenes the workshop is again and again shown where old cars are parked.
(2) Waqt (1965)- At every 10 to 15 minutes interval there is an outdoor shot.The film is a multi-starrer and is quite lively. So many old cars are shown - worth seeing!
Request more additions by fellow members.
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:05   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Dev Anand and Nalini Jaywant in Munimji (1956) here driving across the countryside in a MG.The car is shown momentarily at times but the song and the picturisation are a treat to watch.
Old 25th October 2011, 19:39   #461
BHPian

Hello Friends,
Most of us grew up reading comic books. I’m sure Tintin figured among the top favorites with young readers. Today, when I look at old Tintin comics and the cars pictured (drawn) therein, I am struck at the remarkable likeness to real cars. Could it be that the artists based their drawings on real cars being used in that period? I am taking the liberty of posting the scans in this thread as it concerns with automobiles pictured in various media. Any ideas on the vehicles these drawings may be based upon? Cheers, Caddy.

Character – Tintin,
Creator – Hergė,
Tintin and snowy were born in the year 1929.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comics 1.pdf (434.1 KB, 345 views)
File Type: pdf Comics 2.pdf (405.0 KB, 511 views)
File Type: pdf Comics 3.pdf (401.2 KB, 260 views)
Old 8th November 2011, 22:51   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Herald in what appears to be an early 70s South (Telugu) movie driven by the then Telugu star Shoban Babu. Car's an early (1961-62) Herald and appears thankfully 'untouched' (but for the roof of course) considering it would've been 10 years old by then.

I'd actually seen part of this same movie many years ago and particularly remember this scene, plus another one later in the movie where the hero gets chased by the cops and actually escapes by jumping out of the car while driving on a winding mountain road, and the car nearly goes over the edge, stopped by the boundary wall!

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9919.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9922.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9923.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9924.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9925.jpg

Old 19th November 2011, 18:06   #463
BHPian

Posting in this thread after a long time. This car is much shown in the recent Malayalam movie Salt n Pepper. For all Fiat fans!
With thanks and regards
Attached Images

Old 10th December 2011, 19:25   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a 1956 hit song "Dil Dil Se Milakar Dekho" from the film Mem Sahib.The LHD car is shown (not fully) only for the first 48 seconds. It may be one of the 1950's convertibles from Chrysler Motors, imported into India.In the film "Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi" (1958), during the car race scene filmed at the Juhu airstrip, such cars were shown- maybe this one too !
The song has two unusual features. Kishore Kumar with his antics is at his best, but the more sober and intense Meena Kumari herself feels a bit out of place and wonders maybe as to whom she has landed with? Secondly, music director Madan Mohan is better known for his melodious ghazals, deviates from his identity and composes this raunchy number.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th December 2011 at 19:31.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 16:31   #465
BHPian

Found this in an old malayalam movie, Post Box No. 27 (1991)
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks