Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 14:10   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I like this movie too!
, Bbay seemed quite tranquil and laidback then compared to what it got known to be like subsequently!

And of course there are plenty of fiats for you guys to check out, including one scene where Amol avoids the daily bus and decides to take a taxi but the cabbie (in a Fiat delight) goes just past him and stops for a lady passenger instead!

Then in this scene where he has his horoscope read out by a roadside astrologer with a parrot, you can see a slightly "crumpled" delight, same colour as the MTJ 4150 fiat!
There's also a brief glimpse of a red herald taking a right turn around a street corner as he's walking.
Yep. You are correct!

Also, when we were seeing the movie, i was jumping up and down in my seat full of excitement after seeing all the cars with Delite bumpers and Original Wheelcaps!! And of course, the Amazing Selects and super Selects!! My professor had to finally pause the movie and ask me why i was so excited. When I told him, his face was just Blank!!

Also, there is a brief Glimpse of a Ponton! And that too, the same color as Amol's car!!
Old 19th September 2008, 10:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
More Pictures from the same movie.
Mr. Amol Palekar has done so many movies which has old fiats and bikes.
(All most all the movies he has done)
Old 19th September 2008, 20:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, there is a brief Glimpse of a Ponton! And that too, the same color as Amol's car!!
ponton what ponton! must lay my hands on a dvd of this movie.
Old 19th September 2008, 23:21   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
ponton what ponton! must lay my hands on a dvd of this movie.
There is one grey Ponton in the movie. It is in the First half of the movie. Let me see if i can get the Cd again!
Old 21st September 2008, 19:09   #50
BHPian

Most of the movie was shot at Shivaji Park, Dadar, Mumbai. I need to keep my eyes and ears open. Maybe some of them are still hiding somewhere.
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:04   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

A very famous and memorable car, the Bel Air from Jewel Thief survives with Harit.

Quote:
There have been a lot of pics of cars in movies, blurry grabs have been shown and Julian took the effort to actually post a clip of Mayurbanj.
What about the cars after the movie is over?
Attached please see two pics of a Chevy Belair 1955 convertible which I now own. Forget about the other cars in the picture, if you want to have some sport, then try to identify the small fin in the foreground. This Chevy was used in DevAnands film Jewel thief.
The story: I saw the movie on TV, and went to RTO to check the fate. It had been transferred to Gujrat. A few years later a friend told me that he had seen a Chevy convertible in that area and the engine was removed. So I lost interest. After 6 years I made a new contact in Goa who got me some nice cars from there. He told me that there is a Chevy which was used in a movie, was I interested? I though that it would be stupid Fleetmaster or an Impala and left it. 6 months later I was in Goa on a holiday (for what elase?) and he showed me the car. It was this very one, and the engine was intact. I told him to speak to the owner. This dragged on for 8 months, then he fought with the owner! Our common friend was pulled in, told not to come back without stricking the deal. Well, I had to shell out double of what I estimated, that was in around 2002, so it was definitely worth it. The car does not look bad, but she was very rusty. Now under restoration.
According to Manvendra, 4 such cars came to India. Three are around, Delhi, Lonavala and mine. The 4th is for the moment lost.
Later on my friend who told about the missing engine was told and he was surprised that the car was sold from Gujrat. Apparently he was trying all the time. Well, we all know about fate.

Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-01a.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-02a.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd September 2008 at 17:05.
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:10   #52

WOW!! Harit, Kudos to you..!! You are a treasure trove of information! Also, any Details on the Camaro standing next to your Bel Air!

Edit: Can someone identify the car whose fin and tail light are peaking in!! And also that orange car in he background!
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
WOW!! Harit, Kudos to you..!! You are a treasure trove of information! Also, any Details on the Camaro standing next to your Bel Air!

Edit: Can someone identify the car whose fin and tail light are peaking in!! And also that orange car in he background!
You will find more details on the Comaro if you search on the forum. The earlier car is a Dodge now complete, the fin must be a Rambler.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-dodge07.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-rambler01.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2008, 20:59   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A very famous and memorable car, the Bel Air from Jewel Thief survives with Harit.
I presume its this very car from this song?

Wow, thats commendable of him to have been able to preserve this car!

BTW, the number of the car in the song is given as MRZ 5858, which is of course a later (60s) regn. But did the car really have this number on or was it just used for the film, being a fancy one? Could Harit confirm this?

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd September 2008 at 21:02.
Old 26th September 2008, 20:13   #55
BHPian

some fiats in film CHUPKE CHUPKE. strring dharmendra,amithab,omprakash,
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-dsc02302.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-dsc02303.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-dsc02305.jpg  

Old 26th September 2008, 21:51   #56

Isnt that the Pune 1100R!!! And the first two is of a president if i am not mistaken!!
Old 26th September 2008, 22:09   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt that the Pune 1100R!!! And the first two is of a president if i am not mistaken!!
I remember seeing the 1100R in that scene alone. The car next to it is a '55 fiat if I'm not mistaken?

And yes thats a president- a really good one too!

Also I recall Asrani drives a black 1100 delight with a roof carrier in that movie.

Last edited by Stanher : 26th September 2008 at 22:10.
Old 26th September 2008, 23:04   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, MTC 921 is a beautiful natina blue President, with a missing grille monogram that appears many times in the movie. MRH 8152 is a car I remember only from the movie, never seen it otherwise.
Old 28th September 2008, 08:08   #59
Team-BHP Support

A very recent music video featured a car that I cannot identify:

So gaya ye jahaan, one of my favourite songs as a kid, identify the car

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-so_gaya.jpg

Jo Jeeta wohi sikander was another movie I loved to watch as a kid just before taking my BSA Mach 10 bicycle out for a ride. There are a lot of interesting cars in the movie, here's one (pics courtesy: Cyrus ):

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-jjws1.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-jjws2.jpg
Old 28th September 2008, 08:59   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Jo jeeta wohi sikandar also has a nice but slightly tarted up Triumph Spitfire driven by Aamir in one scene:

Most Viewed