Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 10:16   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
You will see some superb chase scenes in Don, a 911 Targa in Shaan, an E type (with supercharger pipes!) and an early Alfa in Trishul. And lets not forget all the race scenes with Feroze Khan in Qurbani.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh you bet! "Don" had some awesome cars. In fact, Hindi flicks from the 60's & 70's had far better rides than those of today.

Enjoy the chase. Superbly shot albeit the fact that they squeeze the Buick? in not more than a feet of clearance.
Old 29th September 2008, 21:58   #62
Senior - BHPian

Zanjeer

Saw the 70s flick Zanjeer last night.. quite a treat where cars are concerned ! Jaya Bhaduri's song "Chaaku - Chhuri" has three lovely complete delights, an Austin (Somerset ?), and a Vanguard.
When Ajit's goons get after Jaya, they drive up in a Select, stylishly opening the suicide doors. Ajit the gangster also drives some beauties.
Of course I'll maintain, bollywood guys have never been strong on research - Amitabh, a police inspector is shown driving an 'official' LHD Willys jeep ! The jeep's a beauty, but when did our good cops ever have LHD willys' ?
Two trucks carrying illicit liquor are registered MRY xxxx and MRZ XXXX. These numbers are essentially Bombay private car numbers !!
Here's a lovely Amby Mark II from the movie:
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-phone-picture.jpg  

Old 29th September 2008, 22:28   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Saw the 70s flick Zanjeer last night.. quite a treat where cars are concerned ! Jaya Bhaduri's song "Chaaku - Chhuri" has three lovely complete delights, an Austin (Somerset ?), and a Vanguard.
When Ajit's goons get after Jaya, they drive up in a Select, stylishly opening the suicide doors. Ajit the gangster also drives some beauties.
Of course I'll maintain, bollywood guys have never been strong on research - Amitabh, a police inspector is shown driving an 'official' LHD Willys jeep ! The jeep's a beauty, but when did our good cops ever have LHD willys' ?
Two trucks carrying illicit liquor are registered MRY xxxx and MRZ XXXX. These numbers are essentially Bombay private car numbers !!
Here's a lovely Amby Mark II from the movie:
In the song sequence there is a Ford Consul with a flat tyre. It has been discussed by Ram and me elsewhere on the forum too. Plus there was a VW Variant.

For the trucks they did bother to paint the plates white though.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

Yep, I did see the Variant, forgot to mention it.
No, I do remember one truck with a black plate.
It was black probably because it was pinched directly from a private car.

Last edited by SuperSelect : 29th September 2008 at 22:53.
Old 29th September 2008, 23:55   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Saw the 70s flick Zanjeer last night.. quite a treat where cars are concerned ! Jaya Bhaduri's song "Chaaku - Chhuri" has three lovely complete delights, an Austin (Somerset ?), and a Vanguard. The jeep's a beauty, but when did our good cops ever have LHD willys' ?
How come you missed out the black mk3 (4-door) herald with a front hubcap missing, seen in the parking lot in the same song?
There is an identical one again seen running in the distance in the scene where Jaya attacks the rowdy guy who insults her.

Well, I guess until the mid 60s Willys Jeeps were all LHD so even the police had no choice but to buy them? Ive seen even low-bonnet LHDs used in older B&W movies.
Old 30th September 2008, 23:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes - how did I miss that one... Age I guess . Saw the song again, just for the herald !!
Old 6th October 2008, 01:51   #67
BHPian

Chor Machaye Shor

Shashi Kapoor in Chor Machaye Shor (1974) with Peugeot 305.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-10260.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-chormachashore2.jpg  

Old 6th October 2008, 14:26   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Shammi Kapoor's memorable song sequence from Kashmir ki Kali (I think). The car appears to be a 1948 Studebaker Commander. A similar car is being restored in Bombay, also in the same colour scheme.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-1.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-11.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-01.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 6th October 2008 at 14:27.
Old 6th October 2008, 16:21   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

What song was this? I'll try and view it on youtube.
Old 7th October 2008, 07:57   #70
BHPian

Hey Ram

Some pictures from the movie Hey Ram (2000). The film is not too old but the cars are. Not sure on some of the cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-pdvd_120.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-pdvd_124.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-pdvd_114.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-kamalandcar.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-reyram0031.jpg  

roopgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2008, 16:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

Stanher Chettan! Here's one for you. This is the very first scene of the movie 'Naadodikkattu' Starring Mohanlal and Sreenivasan. Companions, penants and heralds were quite popular in kerala as 'lottery cars' ie, used to sell lottery tickets!. Come to think of it, the only examples of the above mentioned cars i've seen running on the roads are all lottery cars!!
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-1.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-3.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-2.jpg  

Old 8th October 2008, 22:45   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

The other day one of my favourite movies was on, "Pyar Kiye Jaa", so the spate of poor screenshots continues. All the plates in the movie are bogus.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-01.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-02.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-03.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-04.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-05.jpg

Note the Herald script on the bonnet badge.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-06.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-pkj01.jpg

The movie was a remake of a Tamil movie, and the same car was used, probably with original number MSW 6959. Shyam will tell you more.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-kdk01.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-kdk02.jpg
Old 8th October 2008, 23:32   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Stanher Chettan! Here's one for you. This is the very first scene of the movie 'Naadodikkattu' Starring Mohanlal and Sreenivasan. Companions, penants and heralds were quite popular in kerala as 'lottery cars' ie, used to sell lottery tickets!
Ayyo da!! Nanni chettAn (BTW- 'think it'd be more apt to call me machAn since I'm a tam !!)

And Ive even just seen the car "in action" by searching on good ol' youtube:

Looking at this car makes me both happy and sad! That looks like an Amby mk3 grille and sidelights, maybe even the bumperguards!!

The number is KLM 5152- any idea which part of Kerala it could be? This scene seems to be in some smaller city/town although I could be wrong?

Also there's a lambretta glimpsed briefly just after the companion passes by!

Anyways, coming back to Bollywood, here's a popular song with Shammi Kapoor from 'An evening in Paris' (1967) where you can find various 60s European (mostly French of course) autos. That "see-thru" double-decker bus looks absoultely fab! Its even got tail-fins, totally 60s-istic! Anyone know what make?

Old 8th October 2008, 23:57   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The other day one of my favourite movies was on, "Pyar Kiye Jaa", so the spate of poor screenshots continues. All the plates in the movie are bogus.
Note the Herald script on the bonnet badge.
The movie was a remake of a Tamil movie, and the same car was used, probably with original number MSW 6959. Shyam will tell you more.
Your wish is my command!

Here is a song from the tamil original featuring the car through and through:

This was actually a very popular Tamil blockbuster movie of the 60s- KAthalikka nEramillai (transl: no harm in loving, I think!)
The movie is full of lovely 50s and 60s cars, especially this early Herald ('61 my guess, going by the regn.)
Although it looks like this Herald (and I suspect the baby austin as well but not sure) was the only car borrowed from KN for use in Pyar kiye jaa. The '59 chevy never appears in the former, a '56 plymouth does instead.
Incidentally, the Hindi movie folks seem to've borrowed not just this car but even one of the heroines from the tamil movie (Rajasree, seen driving the car in the Hindi version! )
Surprisingly the car doesnt say Herald but Standard on the bonnet badge in this (tamil) movie! 'wonder if that was just a customized script? There are quite a few features in this herald that dont look 'standard' to me. Its possibly the only original looking Indian herald convertible Ive ever seen! Quite difficult to fabricate considering the convertible and sedan bodytubs were slightly different.
The white steering wheel reminds me of my herald- they are said to have come in 3 different colour options, with mismatched horn-button colours!

This is the only movie I know of with this herald. Anyone from TN know if this car appeared in any other films?

Lovely car all in all, I'd bought a VCD of the entire movie 5 years ago just to see this car! I hope it still exists!!

Last edited by Stanher : 9th October 2008 at 00:13.
Old 9th October 2008, 00:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

whenever i see a long comfortable car, it reminds me the of the remix of "hum bewafa, hargiz na the" (ends with "we can make it happen"). i instantly start humming the song.

anybody knows what car it was?

EDIT: ok, I found the video.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th October 2008 at 00:20.

Most Viewed