Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 10:11   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Anyways, coming back to Bollywood, here's a popular song with Shammi Kapoor from 'An evening in Paris' (1967) where you can find various 60s European (mostly French of course) autos. That "see-thru" double-decker bus looks absoultely fab! Its even got tail-fins, totally 60s-istic! Anyone know what make?

YouTube - Deewane Ka Naam (Shammi Kapoor & Sharmila Tagore)
How come you missed the song sequence with 20 Lambrettas? It was a direct rip off from the english movie Come September, shot mostly in Italy. That movie too features some gorgeous busses.
Old 9th October 2008, 10:48   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
How come you missed the song sequence with 20 Lambrettas?
Well I didnt miss that, in fact was viewing it the other day!

I didnt mention it as you already did once. And I dont think there were 20 of them, infact less than 10 frm what I could see.

BTW I noticed one of them was a series 2 the same colour as yours- now you'll need to learn this song by heart and find a member of the fairer sex who'd like (really like!) to ride on a lamb. and off you go......!
Old 16th October 2008, 00:53   #78
BHPian

Here are some screenshots from "The Sea Wolves" filmed in 1980, the Delhi Roshnara cub can be seen along with the lovely Lancia Astura that seems to have disappeared, a well known Lagonda M45 and a Mercedes Benz saloon. The other cars I hope some will be able to identify. This film, set in the 2nd World War, miraculously includes a Hillman Minx from 1953.

Name:  vlcsnap288519.png
Views: 5157
Size:  385.8 KB

Name:  vlcsnap288640.png
Views: 5130
Size:  339.9 KB

Name:  vlcsnap278062.png
Views: 5485
Size:  419.0 KB

Name:  vlcsnap278458.png
Views: 4937
Size:  370.6 KB

Name:  vlcsnap279613.png
Views: 5046
Size:  455.6 KB

Name:  vlcsnap278864.png
Views: 4920
Size:  351.7 KB

Name:  vlcsnap280023.png
Views: 4836
Size:  461.3 KB

Name:  vlcsnap283189.png
Views: 4489
Size:  337.6 KB

Name:  vlcsnap284173.png
Views: 4336
Size:  571.2 KB

Name:  vlcsnap279901.png
Views: 4329
Size:  295.9 KB

Name:  vlcsnap274874.png
Views: 6071
Size:  469.0 KB
Photos courtesy of "The Sea Wolves" 1980

Last edited by Julian UK : 16th October 2008 at 01:05.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:29   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Here are some screenshots from "The Sea Wolves" filmed in 1980, the Delhi Roshnara cub can be seen along with the lovely Lancia Astura that seems to have disappeared, a well known Lagonda M45 and a Mercedes Benz saloon. The other cars I hope some will be able to identify. This film, set in the 2nd World War, miraculously includes a Hillman Minx from 1953.
Photos courtesy of "The Sea Wolves" 1980
Very cool! The later photos appear to be in Goa though, going by the regns, red mud and bright buildings behind. I see a couple of Chevy trucks, including one with an early system regn (may be fake for the film though). The last few seem to be Austins.
Old 16th October 2008, 15:04   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Very cool! The later photos appear to be in Goa though, going by the regns, red mud and bright buildings behind. I see a couple of Chevy trucks, including one with an early system regn (may be fake for the film though). The last few seem to be Austins.
The film is set in Goa. I couldn't find the Hillman in the film. That is courtesy of imdb, they probably got it wrong.
The Sea Wolves (1980)

What happened to this Lancia Astura? I had a drive of it when it was in the Queenie film in 87, a lovely car with a 2.6 litre V8. It was in Delhi in the 80s.
Name:  vlcsnap4.PNG
Views: 4831
Size:  354.5 KB

Here it is during the Queenie film shooting in Jaipur
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-lancia-astura.jpg
Old 16th October 2008, 17:14   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

The Lancia survives in Bombay according to Harit

Quote:
About the movie Sea Wolves, the Lancia Astura has not disappeared.
It was the Gill car which has come to Mumbai and is now red in colour.
I was not aware that Sea Wolves was also shot in Delhi. In Goa also one Chrysler sedan of around 1936 -38 was used.I saw that car last year, completely scrapped down and left lying not far from the sea. All the trims were removed, some damaged and the car is practically dead. Pity.

Harit
Old 16th October 2008, 18:30   #82
BANNED

Sea Wolves - shot in the old part of Panjim - Fountainhas. Lot of those buildings are still present and are part of the India heritage, i.e. cannot be broken down.

I used to see a lot of the pictures of this movie adorned on the small photo studios all over Goa. The shooting of the movie was itself a big event then.
Old 17th October 2008, 01:58   #83
BHPian

I found what I think is the 1953-54? Hillman Minx in The Sea Wolves. I am very glad to hear that the Lancia survives.

Name:  vlcsnap221427.png
Views: 4249
Size:  253.3 KB

Name:  vlcsnap221790.png
Views: 4077
Size:  263.8 KB

Talking of Hillman Minxes, does anyone know of a slightly earlier Hillman Minx registration number BMU 5452 in the Bombay area?

Last edited by Julian UK : 17th October 2008 at 01:59.
Old 10th June 2009, 20:12   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I found what I think is the 1953-54? Hillman Minx in The Sea Wolves. I am very glad to hear that the Lancia survives.
Talking of Hillman Minxes, does anyone know of a slightly earlier Hillman Minx registration number BMU 5452 in the Bombay area?
They also showed a grey Tata Mercedes Benz truck on the move in"The Sea Wolves".
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_04.jpg
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-1500_l_1.jpg
Picture source Tata Motors website
Apart form showing off the Model A Ford (christened Champion car by the Ganguly brothers), the comedy flick "Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi" shows the very original, silver Austin Sommerset driven by Madhubala in so many scenes. If anyone is attempting a restoration job on this car, it can be watched as it used to be during its heydays.
And I read an article saying that the "Champion" car is resting (or rusting) in peace in the backyard, within the confines of Kishore Kumar's Juhu home "Gauri Kunj". The star was very touchy about this car and though it was never restored, he had kept it with him.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th June 2009 at 20:29.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:56   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the old 1965 comedy flick "Pyaar Kiye Ja" today. It shows a chocolate brown with a white two tone colour, Standard Herald, two door (driven by heroines Kalpana and Rajeshree). Being an open top car the wooden dash is shown in many scenes and the white dialed Smiths (I believe)speedo looks awesome on the wooden dash. The car is very original but for the repainting job.
Also an Austin 7 (driven by Shashi Kapoor) is shown in many scenes. Another exotic car,seen is a pristine Chevrolet Impala of light blue and white colour (driven by Kishore Kumar), with fantastic tail fins. It is also shown many a time, but its interiors are not to be seen in any scene.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th June 2009 at 22:57.
Old 15th June 2009, 22:56   #86
BHPian

BSA Goldstar and Shashi Kapoor

Few years ago I saw a Shashi Kapoor's Movie in which he is ridding a BSA Goldstar, chasing a jeep and then he dumps the bike and runs off in to the hills. It has been bugging me, because I forgot what movie it was. If someone know that could you please mention the name, hopefully a picture from the movie.
Old 16th June 2009, 00:57   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Saw the old 1965 comedy flick "Pyaar Kiye Ja" today. It shows a chocolate brown with a white two tone colour, Standard Herald, two door (driven by heroines Kalpana and Rajeshree). Being an open top car the wooden dash is shown in many scenes and the white dialed Smiths (I believe)speedo looks awesome on the wooden dash. The car is very original but for the repainting job.
The Herald was originally used in a Tamil movie with this story a year before, and was borrowed for the Hindi remake, with the number changed from MSW 6959 to BML 6959 for the Hindi film. It's actually a metallic maroon with white stripe.

And it doesn't have a wooden dash, being an early Herald, but a black cardboard one with a chrome strip across the centre.
Old 16th June 2009, 11:38   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The Herald was originally used in a Tamil movie with this story a year before, and was borrowed for the Hindi remake, with the number changed from MSW 6959 to BML 6959 for the Hindi film. It's actually a metallic maroon with white stripe.

And it doesn't have a wooden dash, being an early Herald, but a black cardboard one with a chrome strip across the centre.
thanks Stanher for the update.Oh! they had even changed the number plate to make it look Bombayish! The dash information is fine. Thought it was the wooden one but no as you say its the original British ones in older Heralds.In a lighter vein the Herald was more of an eye catcher for me rather than the two plump heroines who were always hanging around the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopgill View Post
Few years ago I saw a Shashi Kapoor's Movie in which he is ridding a BSA Goldstar, chasing a jeep and then he dumps the bike and runs off in to the hills. It has been bugging me, because I forgot what movie it was. If someone know that could you please mention the name, hopefully a picture from the movie.
Was it the 1970's film "Fakira".Please check.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:53   #89
Senior - BHPian

does anybody have screen shots of the white 123 from Qurbani owned by Feroz Khan ? my friend just bought it. I will post pics of it once I mange to get the clip.
Old 16th June 2009, 16:10   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
thanks Stanher for the update.Oh! they had even changed the number plate to make it look Bombayish! The dash information is fine. Thought it was the wooden one but no as you say its the original British ones in older Heralds.In a lighter vein the Herald was more of an eye catcher for me rather than the two plump heroines who were always hanging around the car!
Yes it was made to look Bombayish- but ironically a series even older than the car (BML = 50s!) It happens only in Indian movies!

It even appeared in an entire song (where the hero deflates one of the tyres and then eventually helps them refill it) but I unfortunately can't find the link to that particular song on youtube now!

As for the plump heroines, but can't help it! hehe.....I thought Rajasree (who was also borrowed from the tamil original, alongwith the herald!) was the only plump one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks