Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 00:16   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A great 'car movie' to watch.

A beautiful glimpse into Bombay life in the 50s should be seen in the movie Taxi Driver. Some neat screen shots can be found here, one even showing a large Jaguar perhaps.

theBollywoodFan: Taxi Driver: A love triangle in glorious Bombay
Jaguar indeed. To the right of it a Kaiser?
There is a pic of Kalaghoda, the library can be seen. If you look closely, you will see tha base of the Kalaghoda statue which had subsequently been removed.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

That Jag could be either a 2.5 or a 3.5 Mark lV. in the second last picture is that a 190 SL in the background ??
Old 21st July 2009, 10:15   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
In the second last picture is that a 190 SL in the background ??
Unlikely, it is probably an early 50s Chevy/Pontiac.

Harit, yes, possibly a Kaiser. Do any survive in Bombay?
Old 25th July 2009, 00:26   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

An old pre-war Yank car seen in a part (0:50 onwards) of this tamil movie song. I suspect its a late 30s chevy- correct??

Old 25th July 2009, 13:54   #125
BHPian

I remember an ad for a Kaiser car for sale in one of the auto mags few years back from somewhere in Maharashtra.

Edit:
Just checked the picture in the link above (of the film 'Taxi Driver') - is that a Kaiser or a Hillman Minx instead, to the right of the Jag?

Last edited by Prabal : 25th July 2009 at 14:06.
Old 25th July 2009, 19:59   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Just checked the picture in the link above (of the film 'Taxi Driver') - is that a Kaiser or a Hillman Minx instead, to the right of the Jag?
Actually I think I see both!
Old 27th July 2009, 01:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

Two films i remember which had some exotic convertible classics were Don and Hathi Mere Sathi.The former had elephants pushing an impala i guess.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:32   #128
BHPian

Was watching muqadar ka sikandar on TV y'day and saw a lovely Red VW Bay Window - some MMD registration no. This is a scene where AB meets Rakhee in her school and she insults him and requests him not to trouble her anymore.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:41   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
An old pre-war Yank car seen in a part (0:50 onwards) of this tamil movie song. I suspect its a late 30s chevy- correct??

YouTube - Johny - Senorita - Ilaiyaraaja
Could anyone help identify this car
Old 27th July 2009, 14:24   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Was watching muqadar ka sikandar on TV y'day and saw a lovely Red VW Bay Window - some MMD registration no. This is a scene where AB meets Rakhee in her school and she insults him and requests him not to trouble her anymore.
If I remember correctly Amitabh used to own a Bay window when I was in school, I remember him dropping Abhishek and his daughter(and a few other local kids) to school in it. Ofcourse driven by a driver. This must be in 1983 or so. I think the baywindow was biege to brown in colour, and I just cant get the picture out of my head of AB waiting to pick up his kids after school dressed in a imaculate white kurta Pyjama, shawl and chappals.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:39   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Amitabh certainly owned atleast 1 Baywindow (alongwith a nifty Toyota (?) of the 70s that made many appearances in his movies.)

In the Amitabh/Shahi Kapoor starrer Suhag, an apple green and white baywindow is featured (with Amjad Khan travelling in it), MMD 2232.

In Don an early white baywindow (with dome hubcaps) is prominently featured too. I forget the registration.

Also in Don is MRF 2471, a silver 70s Chevy (?). Ram had also posted a white Chevy screenshot from the movie as well, where Narang and Jasjeet (pran) are travelling in it. Can't seem to find the post.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:54   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the Amitabh/Shahi Kapoor starrer Suhag, an apple green and white baywindow is featured (with Amjad Khan travelling in it), MMD 2232.
That reminds me. Didnt Amjad Khan travel in a Baywindow in the Amitav Starrer "Satte pe Satta" too? Any idea on that?
Old 27th July 2009, 14:58   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
That reminds me. Didnt Amjad Khan travel in a Baywindow in the Amitav Starrer "Satte pe Satta" too? Any idea on that?
Quite possible. Every other movie had one.

The most interesting car in that movie though was the home grown monstrosity the family rides in - appeared to be based on a 60s Chevy, LHD. White walls et al!
Old 27th July 2009, 15:08   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The most interesting car in that movie though was the home grown monstrosity the family rides in - appeared to be based on a 60s Chevy, LHD. White walls et al!
Yup, scary looking thing. Interesting how 7 full grown hunks managed to clamber into that car on various shots. Have a CD of the movie, will try to post pics of the car.

OT - I'd planned to put up several screenshots from old international movies, but the plan sorta fizzled out after my "Bicycle Thieves" post met with no response whatsoever!
Old 27th July 2009, 15:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
If I remember correctly Amitabh.... This must be in 1983 or so. I think the baywindow was biege to brown in colour, and I just cant get the picture out of my head of AB waiting to pick up his kids after school dressed in a imaculate white kurta Pyjama, shawl and chappals.
Boss I have actually seen pics of AB dressed as said wiating to pick up said persons but doing the waiting besides a grey Matador Van which was his fav ride for quiet some time if I remember correct.

Last edited by wasif : 27th July 2009 at 15:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks