Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 00:09   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car was brand new in maybe 1979, during the shooting.It was shot in a parking lot, in the basement.The film was released in 1980.The villain (was it Shakti Kapoor coz he is one of the villians in the film apart from Amjad Khan ?) behind the wheel was ridiculing FK and telling to move away from his path.He said "can't you see this is a Mercedes"?
IIRC, the 'villain' was Amrish Puri- one of his early films i guess.

FK gets mad at him because Amrish hits some urchin accusing him to have put a mark on the car.
Old 21st June 2009, 10:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

I remember the Feroz Khan moovie Qurbani wery well. The car in it was white and i am certain it was not a 300D. The guy dirving it bets with FK , one rupee, that he dcan't drive the car. FK proceeds to demolish said car and at the end tells the owner that he was right, Fk couldn't drive the car and pays him the one rupee.

Now i don't think that car could have survived after what was done to it and secondly it was white. not so sure it was a W123 and if it was it was most likely a 230 petrol.

Coming to the subject of the "Herald Jeeps" in Hyderabad they were created by a talented local fabricator called Babu. he was real good at them and even sold some to the film companies.

he died and this put a stop to the creations.There were around 6 to 8 of them around once.

Later Sudhakar also tried his and at these and other wacky creations on herald mechanicals. I remeber a replica double decker bus.
Old 21st June 2009, 14:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
can one of you film aficianados please confirm that this car was used in the Film Qurbani in the basement scene. Just bought by a friend and soon to be restored
The registration MAS series was of around 1987 or so. We had one new vehicle then. So this cannot be the registration of the time of the movie. And the demolished car could not have been rebuilt like this. Now please someone see the movie and inform of your findings.
Apart from that, this is a very good car to have. Tell the guy to spend money where required and you will have one of the best and most reliable cars ever made in this world.
Mercedes has now authorised a workshop to look after W123 series and buy from him certain body panels for their classic center. This I read in an article in a vintage car mag.
Qurbani or no Qurbani, nice car and MUCH MUCH better than the junks entered in the last 2 VCCCI rallies.

Cheers harit
Old 21st June 2009, 20:44   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Coming to the subject of the "Herald Jeeps" in Hyderabad they were created by a talented local fabricator called Babu. he was real good at them and even sold some to the film companies.
he died and this put a stop to the creations.There were around 6 to 8 of them around once.
About this guy- yes, I think I've heard his name before (of course apart from the other Babu, our ex-CM! )
BTW, was he the only guy who was into this in Hyderabad?
And, referring to harit's earlier statement in his reply to my last post on this topic, was it this guy babu that Mahindra threatened to sue? I'm still awaiting a reply from harit to this query of mine! Based on my earlier interaction with him, I can safely presume that his not answering me is nothing personal...afterall I never argued with anyone about a Citroen and Fiat or a "burfi/samosa" design!

About the jeeps, yes these too are rarely seen..I'd wanted to buy one myself. As a semi-regular runabout.
I used to see a red one running around often in the Charminar area. I think it still does. There also used to be an army green one owned by a hotel owner just opposite the scrap-market in Afzulgunj. 'last saw it around 8 years ago.
Old 21st June 2009, 20:55   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
IIRC, the 'villain' was Amrish Puri- one of his early films i guess.

FK gets mad at him because Amrish hits some urchin accusing him to have put a mark on the car.
Right Stanher it was Amrishji who was groaning with his hoarse voice when the car was being ripped apart.Got the movie CD I feel-will check it and post as harit says!
About those jeep like innovations howz this one to rattle M&M and draw them to some courtroom?
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-dsc02987.jpg
Old 21st June 2009, 21:41   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Mercedes has now authorised a workshop to look after W123 series and buy from him certain body panels for their classic center. This I read in an article in a vintage car mag.
Is there such a workshop in India? Where? I'd be interested to know.
Old 21st June 2009, 23:15   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, the answer to my question- whom did Mahindra threaten to sue??
Sorry, did not intend to ignore your post. It slipped back quite a bit and forgot.
If not mistaken, these Herald Jeeps ( to give them a name) were made in the 1980's. They were also used in movies. They would offen appear at car dealers place as an exotic. I believe some filmy guys loved them. Suddenly they stopped, and totally new creations came along. On enquiring was told that Mahindras objected. They did look very similar in appearance. But who sent a notice to whom, if at all I do not know, but they stopped coming all of a sudden. And I believe the numbers built was not very small. If Wasif knows more, please contribute.

Quote:
About this guy- yes, I think I've heard his name before (of course apart from the other Babu, our ex-CM! )
BTW, was he the only guy who was into this in Hyderabad?
And, referring to harit's earlier statement in his reply to my last post on this topic, was it this guy babu that Mahindra threatened to sue? I'm still awaiting a reply from harit to this query of mine! Based on my earlier interaction with him, I can safely presume that his not answering me is nothing personal...afterall I never argued with anyone about a Citroen and Fiat or a "burfi/samosa" design!

Yes nothing personal. On this forum for me nothing is ever personal. It just slipped as mentioned above.
BTW, there was nothing to argue about the Citroen or Fiat, fact were presented which were borne out very fast.

About the jeeps, yes these too are rarely seen..I'd wanted to buy one myself. As a semi-regular runabout.
I used to see a red one running around often in the Charminar area. I think it still does. There also used to be an army green one owned by a hotel owner just opposite the scrap-market in Afzulgunj. 'last saw it around 8 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Right Stanher it was Amrishji who was groaning with his hoarse voice when the car was being ripped apart.Got the movie CD I feel-will check it and post as harit says!
About those jeep like innovations howz this one to rattle M&M and draw them to some courtroom?
I doubt Mahindra would object to this creation, maybe Mercedes -Benz will.
BTW, does anyone remember those Contessa's with Merc grill, headlights and taillights? Those were built by National Garage at an extra cost of around Rs 1Lac at that time. And they stopped because Benz told them to.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:05   #113
BHPian

The Qurbani Mercedes which got abused was a W115 sedan in white. I clearly remember the longitudinal Rectangle headlamps. So the W123 posted in the previous page cannot be the car from the movie.
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:20   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEM3R View Post
The Qurbani Mercedes which got abused was a W115 sedan in white. I clearly remember the longitudinal Rectangle headlamps. So the W123 posted in the previous page cannot be the car from the movie.
Like Harit says, Qurbani or No Qurbani its a damn good car, amazing bodyline and absolutely no rust. I am jealous.
Old 22nd June 2009, 21:20   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt Mahindra would object to this creation, maybe Mercedes -Benz will.
BTW, does anyone remember those Contessa's with Merc grill, headlights and taillights? Those were built by National Garage at an extra cost of around Rs 1Lac at that time. And they stopped because Benz told them to.
Yes, one of those Contessas were test driven by Indian Auto if I can remember correctly and it got featured.The Benz intervention and "NO" is news to me.
Those days there used to be such cross-breed cars-even Tatamobiles were converted into AC sedans before the Sierra and Estate came along.
To me these appeared like off springs of some pedigreed Alsatian crossbred with a stray.
Old 8th July 2009, 17:01   #116
Senior - BHPian

W123 World

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Is there such a workshop in India? Where? I'd be interested to know.
If Harit and I are talking about the same magazine, then the workshop he's referring to is in Swansea, Wales. Its called "W123 world" or thereabouts, run by a person called Mark Cosovich.

As for this thread, seems to be dominated by Bollywood rather than foreign movies. Lets see if I can dig up some old International (note, not just Hollywood) movies from my collection.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:21   #117
BHPian

Hi! I'm a new member here. This is about MG TCs in films, (because I own one). The most famous shot where a TC is shown is in the song 'Jeevan Ke Safar me Rahi', from the film 'Munimji', starring Dev Anand who croons to heroine Kalpana Karthik. Another TC is shown in the film 'Bhumika', where Nasiruddin Shah courts Smita Patil. There is a brown coloured TC in a Dharmendra film - I don't recall the name - where he sings a song while driving and also replaces a spare wheel without missing a beat. it is said that Raj Kapoor had presented Nargis with a TC and the car made a brief appearance in every film in which the two starred. Is that true? I did see a TC flash by in 'Aag'.

Another car of mine, a 1933 Austin seven tourer, long before I bought it, was shown in the first scene of the famous serial 'Malgudi Days', being pushed across the road. Mighty unfair, considering that the car was driven from Bangalore to Agumbe for the shoot, a distance of nearly 400 kms.
Old 11th July 2009, 11:25   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Hi! I'm a new member here. This is about MG TCs in films, (because I own one).
Welcome aboard sir. Do share some pictures of your cars.

Incidentally a TC also makes an appearance in the recent Rajnikant blockbuster 'Sivaji the boss'.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-sivaji.jpg

Another MG convertible of similar vintage (not a TC) also appears in Zubeida with the siren 'Aunty Rose' behind the wheel, played adeptly by Lillette Dubey.

Here is the same car at a rally in Lonavala a few years ago.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-mg01.jpg
Old 11th July 2009, 22:18   #119
BHPian

BYF 7618 is probably a YT
tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 18:15   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

A great 'car movie' to watch.

A beautiful glimpse into Bombay life in the 50s should be seen in the movie Taxi Driver. Some neat screen shots can be found here, one even showing a large Jaguar perhaps.

theBollywoodFan: Taxi Driver: A love triangle in glorious Bombay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks