Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 19:54   #901
BHPian

Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
A few scenes from the movie, Adaalat, circa 1976.

An MRF registered Mustang is seen here. Was trashed mercilessly throughout. She still looks like a beaut though- Who knows, she might survive?
Was the number MRF 6037? If yes, then this '66 Mustang was used in the film Aashiqui (1990) too, only to be abandoned later at the Film City in Mumbai. Later, an owner of a garage in Mumbai restored (more like modded) it! Sad

P.S: Which is the car in the paking lot of the building behind the Mustang?
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-screenshot-8.png  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-screenshot-17.png  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-300x300.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-6037.jpg  

Last edited by Impala59 : 24th February 2015 at 19:56.
Old 24th February 2015, 20:28   #902
Distinguished - BHPian

Lucky Ali and Hema Malini here. The picture would be a production from Mehmood, father of Lucky. It is "ek baap chhe bete" (1978), where the six sons of the Mehmood and his American wife Tracy Ali acted. The car could be a Buick Super :

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-lucky-ali-hema-m.jpg

(picture from a FB friend)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 10:09   #903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car could be a Buick Super :

Attachment 1343970
Certainly not a Buick Super, they have fixed windscreen frames. This could be a Jaguar XK120. Someone will have to volunteer to watch the movie to share more screenshots.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 12:20   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Picture clicked during the shooting of Sholay - one Matador can be identified. The other car ??
This pic was shared by you- attached herewith.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-abdharmendra.jpg

Let me correct you here- That thing is NOT a Matador.

It is a VW Van- and the other car is a smaller, more produced American- or European. I'll hazard a guess- A Chevrolet, perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Was the number MRF 6037? If yes, then this '66 Mustang was used in the film Aashiqui (1990) too, only to be abandoned later at the Film City in Mumbai. Later, an owner of a garage in Mumbai restored (more like modded) it! Sad

P.S: Which is the car in the paking lot of the building behind the Mustang?
I did check, and compare it with the 'rodded' one, rebuilt by Team Motor Sports, here in Bombay. Compare:

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-mrf-4163-adalatmustangpartsmissing.jpg

MRF 4___ and MRF 6037. Two different cars. 6037 is the 'rodded' one. More would've been running around, I guess. And other cars did survive.

As regards to the car behind the Mustang: Pic attached :

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-mrf-mustang-adalat1.jpg

It's low. It's Boxy. It's an American- From the 'Sixties. Bill Mitchell's lines are very evident here. And it seems to be a tad expensive.

I thought- It is a Buick Riviera. One noticeable difference between the first and second generations was: Front H/L units. The first generation had some very evident headlights, and the second generation had them concealed. And this one seemed to have them- The headlamps were not very evident, must've been concealed.

Of course, when in slight doubt, Google to the rescue. And Voila! My guess was correct! It matched.

Compare the pic posted above, too the following reference pics, courtesy Wikipedia.

Note- Concealed Headlamps:

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-buick-r.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-buick-ri.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-buick-rive.jpg

Thus, I conclude- Likely to be a second generation Buick Riviera, model years 1965-70.

Yet- It distinctively looks like a 4 door- doesn't it? Couple of similar looking Buick's, whose headlights were mounted in a similar manner to the Riviera, but were NOT concealed are:

1966 Buick LeSabre:

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-1966buicklesabre4doorsedan.jpg

1966 Buick WildCat:

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-buick-wildcaat-4-dr.jpg

Final Conclusion: It is a 65-66 Buick. If 2 door- It is a Riviera, and if 4 door- WildCat/LeSabre. Bill Mitchell's classic lines are very evident, na?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 25th February 2015 at 12:22.
FINTAIL is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 21:06   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This pic was shared by you- attached herewith.

Attachment 1344223

Let me correct you here- That thing is NOT a Matador.

It is a VW Van- and the other car is a smaller, more produced American- or European. I'll hazard a guess- A Chevrolet, perhaps?
Yes, true thats a VW Camper, not a Matador! I stand corrected - overconfidence here perhaps ...
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 22:41   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

From a 1970 movie- Naya Zamana. Not many cars to be seen here though. Any idea what the white car is? Looks Jap- Toyota Corona?

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-nz.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-nz1.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-nz2.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-nz3.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-nz4.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-nz5.jpg

From another 70s movie- Qaid:

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-qaid.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-qaid1.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-qaid2.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-qaid3.jpg
Stanher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 00:46   #907
Senior - BHPian

Scenes from the 1976 Bollywood flick- Adaalat- Continued:

Anyone fancy a 1976 Padmini?

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-mrf-3985.jpg

That's what the good natured folks at the Movie Car Database opined. 'Tis a PP. Well- On closer observation, look at the registration plates. MRF. Makes that a genuine FIAT 1100 Delight- Padminiofied.

Interesting to note the rather loud yellow shade. And the black grille. I thought Padmini's came with those black grilles later on- since the Eighties, with the ones from the mid-Seventies sharing the grille assembly with the 1974 Premier President.

Well- Back in the day, cars already being quite scarce, and somewhat more expensive, cars were not exactly the disposable use-and-throw types you see these days.

Whenever a newer iteration of the model came out- Promptly, the trims were changed to give it a newer look. People kept their cars for longer periods, and the itch to make the car fresher, without actually replacing it was always there, particularly given the circumstances mentioned in the previous paragraph. Note that the FIAT in question would've been a decade old, when the mod job was performed.

Nowadays- Cars leave the household within 5 years or so- on an average.

So many Vespa 150's were converted into Bajaj 150's- and then into Super's and so on...PYS 5775 is a victim of this process as well- A 1100 Delight- but is pretending to be a 1984 Padmini. I let her be so.

They tried to chase a Mustang with a FIAT 1100 Delight: LOL:

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-mrf-mustang-adalat.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Pune registered Willys CJ3B RHD is seen herewith. The registration is - BYH. Perhaps they are two different Jeeps (?)

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-byh-3015.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-byh-3175.jpg

In the same movie, the oft-seen Willys CJ3B RHD MHN 3110 was also featured in a scene with the BYH mentioned above, IIRC.

As an aside, MHN 2191 was my grandfather's Willys CJ3B Hurricane, this time in LHD.

If one observes the first pic of the BYH Jeep carefully, you'll notice that the digits are painted in a rather uncertain and haphazard manner. Perhaps the series was BYH, and the digits were false.

IF-F that is the case, then, I wonder if the Willys CJ3B Hurricane pictured below, is the very same car? This one was spotted by me in Pune, at the basement of a very famous Mathematics and JEE Professors apartment block, Prof. M. Prakash. The series, and the color is the same. Ah- We love speculation, na?

Team BHPian Veldeep's classics are parked in the very opposite Apartment Block!

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-byh-4136-first-byh-discovered-me.jpg

EDIT: 700 posts up!!!! :-)

Last edited by FINTAIL : 26th February 2015 at 00:51.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 20:10   #908
BHPian

Quote:
As regards to the car behind the Mustang: Pic attached :

It's low. It's Boxy. It's an American- From the 'Sixties. Bill Mitchell's lines are very evident here. And it seems to be a tad expensive.

...Thus, I conclude- Likely to be a second generation Buick Riviera, model years 1965-70.

Yet- It distinctively looks like a 4 door- doesn't it? ...Final Conclusion: It is a 65-66 Buick. If 2 door- It is a Riviera, and if 4 door- WildCat/LeSabre. Bill Mitchell's classic lines are very evident, na?
I am afraid, I think it's not a Buick at all, leave alone the models you have mentioned. The picture is hazy, but from what I can make out, it's a Pontiac Parisienne - 67-68 model. Google can tell more. About the car, and maybe about the designer too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
From a 1970 movie- Naya Zamana. Not many cars to be seen here though. Any idea what the white car is? Looks Jap- Toyota Corona?
It's a Toyota Crown from around 65-66-67. Google can tell exactly which model - there were a few variants of the T. Crown - different body shells and styles too.

Quote:
From another 70s movie- Qaid:
This one is a Mercury. Most probably a Montclaire, or a Monterey or Parklane or something. Too lazy to google myself at this point. Era should be mid-60s again.[/quote]
Prabal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 20:47   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1344459

Attachment 1344460
The car featured above is a 1965-66 Chevrolet Nova. I am also posting pictures of a 1966 LHD, straight six engine Chevrolet Nova, that was owend by my friend and in regular use till around 2001. He had bought it second hand from Film City and had told me that the car was used in film shootings till he bought it in 1980 or so. The car fell on bad days and was sold in this condition in 2010.

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-dsc03039.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-dsc03040.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 21:59   #910
BHPian

Don (Big B starrer) is another movie which has some lovely cars. They have quite a few American Muscle cars such as Mustangs, Camaros etc as well as other American classics viz; Impala's, Dodges, Buicks etc. There are couple of VW buses and Karmann Ghia as well. Tried to capture couple of them - a stunning looking Mustang, beautiful red Karmann Ghia and Impala.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-20150111-12.43.10.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-20150111-14.13.22.gif  

67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 23:04   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
It's a Toyota Crown from around 65-66-67. Google can tell exactly which model - there were a few variants of the T. Crown - different body shells and styles too.
Yup, 1967 Toyota Crown it is:

http://specs.amayama.com/toyota/crown/1967_0/photo/
Old 27th February 2015, 12:55   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Quote:
Incidentally I have MRF 891 as a green unidentified car from the movie Dreamgirl Any volunteers to watch the movie and share the screenshots?
Old 27th February 2015, 16:02   #913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought Padminis came with those black grilles later on, since the eighties, with the ones from the mid-seventies sharing the grille assembly with the 1974 Premier President.
Dear Fintail - the very first actual "Premier Padmini" was sold in 1975. It had the MMB registration, I don't know the number. The very first car which was delivered from the showroom of BCMA (Bombay Cycle and Motor Agency) Opera House was light green in color. It came with the two piece chromium plated plastic grille and the diamond shape PAL monogram from day one. The Padmini never got sold with the President grille. The "black honeycomb" grille was introduced for the first time in 1986 in the "Premier Padmini Economy" car. These cars were sold in 3 colors, "Sabbia" (pinkish), "Ellora" (light greenish) and "Pale Lilac" (whiter than Arctic White, my rally car MMY43 was in this color). The economy car cost Rs.79,498.92 on road in Mumbai in 1986. My father's friend had purchased a pale lilac colored economy car (MFC5955) from a dealer in Kalina known as "Maha Auto", so I remember the exact price. The "Premier Padmini Standard" car was 7000 rupees costlier.

Just for information, in around 1990, the Padmini bumper vendor had some issue so there was an acute shortage of bumpers in production. Very few stainless steel bumpers were imported urgently from Italy and they were fitted in very few cars. Also, in around 1982, very few Chromodora grilles were imported but were never fitted in production. They were eventually sold as spare parts and were available at Premnath Motors New Delhi for 450 rupees in 1984. I had picked up my grille from there in October 1984 when I had gone there for the Himalayan Rally. I used it till 1993 on my MMY43. When I sold the car, I had removed it and kept it safely. I had fitted it for sometime in my Premier Padmini BLL4919. The grille that you now see on my left hand drive MH01YA3238 is the same grille. In the 31 years that I have had it with me, nothing has happened to it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 27th February 2015 at 16:06.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 00:41   #914
Senior - BHPian

Geeta Dutt and Talat Mahmood with their cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-gd15.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-tm.jpg  

vinay kamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 22:53   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
Geeta Dutt and Talat Mahmood with their cars.
Vinay Kamath
Hi.
Talat Mehmood used to drive a HillmanTnot Minx but the earlier model) car and AFAIR it was black.
Maybe he changed it subsequently
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 28th February 2015 at 22:55.

Most Viewed