Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 17:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Trishul was another movie which had a lot of flashy cars.
Was it a Herald in which Sachin and Poonam Dhillon sing the song 'Gapuchi Gapuchi'?
Indeed, it was a red Herald with the roof removed. The car is also involved in an accident scene, and right behind her is Amitabh in a white convertible Chevy, I remember it being a 58.
Old 17th August 2008, 22:40   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a beautiful pink 1959-60 Cadillac El Dorado in the trailer of the new picture DOSTANA starring Salman Khan and John Abraham , due to be released in November 2008!
Old 17th August 2008, 23:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here Sanjeev Kumar runs into a stereotypical Bawajee and his Austin and family.

Attachment 37381
Actually why is it that Parsees are shown in old movies in a convertible early Austin filled with so many kids. I wish the many kids part would be true, then this day their numbers would not be dwindling.
They are such a loving community and the loud irritating overtones thay are shown to portray in films is quite the opposite of their true nature, unless you say ro do something to their car.
*Honorary Bawa now waits for the applaud*

Quote:
This memorable scene is from Shaan (1980) starring Amitabh and Shashi Kapoor. The scene shows a gorgeous 911 Targa which they were duped into buying. This same car later went to Vijay Mallya and suffered a major accident. It is now being restored (in other hands) Im told.

Attachment 37382

Attachment 37383

Attachment 37384

Nokia N82 Zindabad!
This Porsche was specially borrowe from the STC to shoot for the film. Notice the number "8" on the dash.
STC cars were sold by sealed tender to the highest bidder and the tender document had a serial number by which they referred the cars to. so in the particular year/month this car came up for sale, it would have been number "8". After this shoot for one day only, this car was then returned back to the STC.
This would be the only case of its kind when STC made an exception. They must have been paid handsomely i presume.
In the movie if you see, this number badge constantly keeps on changing the position from being hung from the rear view mirror (the normal practice) to the dash as we see it in the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
This 911 targa, was a 1976, owned/brought in by a lady at American consulate in 1977, used to be parked at Washington house, altamont road. In 1981 got sold thru STC Bombay to Bagla, His bid was 6.99lacs and mine was 6.25lacs. I was eying this car from the day it arrived, and the day I lost out at the tender was the saddest day for me.
Then it changed few hands at around 10lacs, and finally went to Mr. Mallya, who crashed it on the bangalore mysore highway. Then Was available with the engine and gearbox out. Finally as youll say was with Thakkars.
And my bid was number 4 (Rs 5.25L)
The total number of bids this car recieved was six (they were expecting at least 8_10 bids for this car). I had managed to convince my Dad to bid for this car and he was sure the car would go for a very high price.
Sighhhhhh!!
Old 18th August 2008, 00:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Btw, although this isnt really Bollywood but nevertheless relevant to the topic- justcame across this link of an old (1980) mallu movie with an interesting title- BENZ VAASU!

Ive seen only the beginning of this clipping, the scene showing a lovely fintail merc. pulling over- gogi, I hope you're watching!

Old 23rd August 2008, 11:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Heres an old Fiat 1100 from the movie Julie. The car is the butt of all jokes as it never ran when needed and referred to many times throughout the movie. It appeared to be registered MRX 44.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-11.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2008, 17:52   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Heres an old Fiat 1100 from the movie Julie. The car is the butt of all jokes as it never ran when needed and referred to many times throughout the movie. It appeared to be registered MRX 44.
Isnt it her father (played by Om Prakash) who buys the car? I remember it being a light greyish blue though. And I think it was missing one rear hubcap.
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:46   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Isnt it her father (played by Om Prakash) who buys the car? I remember it being a light greyish blue though. And I think it was missing one rear hubcap.
Thats right. And theres a good chance that this particular car went to Nitin Dossa Im told. I wonder if it survives.
Old 16th September 2008, 23:25   #38

Was shown this movie "Chotti Si Baat" for my understanding cinema lecture. Forget the movie , i was drooling on the cars!!
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_005.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_006.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_007.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_008.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_009.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_010.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_011.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_012.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_013.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_014.jpg  

Cyrus43 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2008, 23:45   #39

More Pictures from the same movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_015.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_016.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_017.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_018.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_019.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_020.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_021.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_022.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_023.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_024.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_027.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_028.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_025.jpg  

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-image_026.jpg  

Cyrus43 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2008, 23:59   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice captures cy!

But didnt you notice a dark blue Gazel (jus like ours!) and a black pennant beside it for a couple of seconds in the song "Janeman janeman" in the same movie? I saw that song many times on VCD just to see those cars!

And I'd been wanting to post this video part of an 80s movie, there is just one scene showing one of those old yank taxis (all dieselised I guess!) that used to run in places like Mahabaleshwar, Panchgani etc., pics. of some of which Karl had posted in another thread:

The video quality is real poor but my guess is its a late 40s Ford Super deluxe?

Last edited by Stanher : 17th September 2008 at 00:06.
Old 17th September 2008, 00:02   #41

What car is this?? The above one.

This car seems to be very very familiar!! I cant remember where i have heard the number though!! Karl, is this Delite familiar to u??
Old 17th September 2008, 00:12   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post

What car is this?? The above one.
Renault 4. An early 60s car I guess.
Old 17th September 2008, 12:34   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Chotti si baat revolves around the love triangle between Asrani, Amol Palekar and Vidya Sinha with Ashok Kumar playing the memorable Col. Julius Nagendranath Wilfred Singh. A movie I really enjoy.

Plenty of scenes on the streets on busy Bombay, so lots of old cars to see. Amol Palekar goes to a garage to buy a scooter where plenty of cars are visible including that quaint Renault. He ends up being conned into buying a beat up Royal Enfield single, which somewhere along the way becomes a Triumph single and twin Asrani rides a cool yellow Vespa with a neat accessory rear view mirror.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th September 2008 at 12:35.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:02   #44

Quote:
Chotti si baat revolves around the love triangle between Asrani, Amol Palekar and Vidya Sinha with Ashok Kumar playing the memorable Col. Julius Nagendranath Wilfred Singh. A movie I really enjoy.

Plenty of scenes on the streets on busy Bombay, so lots of old cars to see. Amol Palekar goes to a garage to buy a scooter where plenty of cars are visible including that quaint Renault. He ends up being conned into buying a beat up Royal Enfield single, which somewhere along the way becomes a Triumph single and twin Asrani rides a cool yellow Vespa with a neat accessory rear view mirror.
Apparently, it was the First "New Wave Movie" Ever made in India. It is a Critique's Delight!! Also, The bike appeared different every few scenes!! KArl put that controversy to rest!

BTW, Does that Delite's Reg number look familiar? Because it looks really Familiar to me!
Old 17th September 2008, 14:06   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I like this movie too!
, Bbay seemed quite tranquil and laidback then compared to what it got known to be like subsequently!

And of course there are plenty of fiats for you guys to check out, including one scene where Amol avoids the daily bus and decides to take a taxi but the cabbie (in a Fiat delight) goes just past him and stops for a lady passenger instead!

Then in this scene where he has his horoscope read out by a roadside astrologer with a parrot, you can see a slightly "crumpled" delight, same colour as the MTJ 4150 fiat (posted by Cyrus already!)
There's also a brief glimpse of a red herald taking a right turn around a street corner as he's walking.

Oh, and yeah, did y'all notice there is also a Peugeot 404 in the process of painting, in the same garage where the renault, MRG fiat are?

Last edited by Stanher : 17th September 2008 at 14:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks